First Driving Experience

Check in with your pals daily. What's on your mind?
Mtn.man

Postby Mtn.man » Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:40 pm

grew up in the country on the farm as well,,,
used to drive everthing we were told too,,, my grandpa had a truck stop down the road and on Sat. it was dump day,, had been helping him for years haul all the stuff off... got paid too think it was 2.00 for all day Sat. work...
one Sat when I was 10 or so he said "take the trash to the dump" :shock:
I says "want me to drive it there...????"
"well of course I'm to busy"....
so off to the dump I went.. no problems at all,,, one day had a freind with me, went to work and said "want us to haul the trash",,,"YEP"....
so we hauled it off, did I mention this was a 50' chevy P/U with a 283 installed?
it was used to push cars around the place and on weekends was seen at the local roundy track push starting cars...

anyway we were coming back and after doing this for a few weeks I got brave,,, floored it down the dirt road missed our turn slammed on the brakes cut the wheel hard left and wham there goes my bud out the door rolling down the ditch...
got back no worse for wear and grandpa says,, "thru DL out the truck didn't ya" HUH???

guess nothing can be hidden from Grandpa....
Walk softly, carry a Big Gun
and Thank You Troops!

Rapid Randy Baker

Postby Rapid Randy Baker » Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:44 pm

More great stories,,,you are right about the Grandpa deal. Nobody ever got anything past him,,,he always knew when we did anything,,,good or bad!! :roll: :lol:
NITRO PILOT

[url]http://.www.rapidrandy.net[/url]

pro70z28

Postby pro70z28 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:25 pm

My first trip to the track was the 66 GTO. It had wheel hop bad so my brother made a set of traction bars out of stainless for me. He lived in Illinois and I in Iowa, so I sent him some plans and he built 'em. Stainless was the material of choice because my brother worked @ ComEd @ the time ..... and that's ALL I'M SAYIN' :shock: about that. I don't remember if he shipped 'em or if we went out to get 'em......oh well....I digress. I put 'em on, ''Yes'' they were VERY heavy. They clampped on the rear housing tube. "no" that didn't work so good. After every lap I had to readjust em' because they would slip on the housing. They did hold long enough to get me past the wheel hop each run tho. You can see 'em in this pic. Regular readjustment was a must ......... you DIDN't wanna' have those things start flappin' around ............Did I mention they were HEAVY ??? :roll: :roll:

15th Annual DRAGLIST Nationals Sometime in 2020. Somewhere in the USA.

pro70z28

Postby pro70z28 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:46 pm

Oh...... that reminds me. I welded the spider gears. :lol: :lol: :lol:
&
Jammed coil spring spacers in the front / air shocks in the back. All in the name of weight transfer.

Billy Mac

Postby Billy Mac » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:27 am

This whole thread is just plumb enjoyable as all get out......Keep Em comin' folks.....

Barb??.....You got started at sometime ....Let's hear about it :wink:
Wally??
Long Live Draglist!
Thank You Vets
In God we Trust...(all others pay cash)
Billy Mac Signs-West/Pegasus Race Cars

Novel-T

Postby Novel-T » Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:34 pm

My 55 Chev with the modified six wheel hopped bad,so I used to put muffler clamps on the lower half of the rear shocks as travel limiters.It worked.Oh yeah remember clamping the front half of the leaf spings together?

jim sanders

Postby jim sanders » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:45 am

most of John the Plumber's work force have bikes...not me.. I have been on 2 in my lifetime and was white knuckled both times... same as when i tried to ride a horse :oops:
GOOD TO GO !!
Uncle Curt Wasson album
[url=http://www.glowfoto.com/users2/gatorgumbo][img]http://www.glowfoto.com/siteimages/linktogallery.gif[/img][/url]

pro70z28

Postby pro70z28 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:10 am

My first (motorized) bike ride was back on the farm. My uncle Johnny had an old cicle type mower. Wasn't long and we had a V-belt drive motorcycle. With a torch & a welder all things are possible. :lol: :lol: It didn't have much power so I being the younger (smaller) of the 2 got driving duties. We lived about 1/2 mile from German Valley @ the time (Same place I had my Repair Shop many years later). Hank Plazier, the then owner of the repair shop, got a kick out of our invention and came out to watch me drive up to the general store to buy somethin' for Mom. Then head back home down the gravel road. Good thing we didn't offer a warranty to ourselves, By the time I got back home the "Airless tires" were coming appart. :oops: :oops: I did get it goin' purdy fast "It seemed at the time anyway" on the way there, but struggled to get it home. Then, when I did finally get home ............ we had some 'splainin to do ............to my uncle. :twisted: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Return to “What's Up”