Greatest Strip of all Time?

Check in with your pals daily. What's on your mind?
Lionsdsisbest
Greatest Strip of all Time?

Postby Lionsdsisbest » Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:43 pm

Would like some opinions here. In "YOUR" opinion what is the greatest drag strip of all time, past or present? In your answer please explain why. Will not complain if it is not Lions, LOL.

Lionsdsisbest

WildcatOne

Postby WildcatOne » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:53 pm

Tough call on that one, Lions...there were some great ones, and Lions no doubt was one of the very best. So was Bakersfield. York US 30. Oswego. Houston. Green Valley. Amarillo. Huntsville. Tulsa. Kansas City. Zephyr Hills. Santa Pod in England. The "old" national event strips...Indy, Gainesville, Columbus, Pomona, Englishtown, Maple Grove, Baton Rouge, now we got a whole bunch of great strips, the best of which is definitely debatable...my favorite is Joliet, the Center of the Universe in my book...Pomona was awesome this year...so was Vegas, Denver, Reading, Rockingham. Brainerd and Seattle got new skin and they rock. Houston Raceway Park is hosting one national event a year, so is the Motorplex and Topeka. They used to have two, ya know...they were top-of-the-line in the late 80s into the 90s but they can't hold a candle to the new tracks like Bristol, Vegas, Joliet and Sonoma...but the tracks at Atlanta, St. Louis and Phoenix have produced excellent numbers as well...so which is best? I think it comes down to personal preferences...a lot of records were set and broken later this year, all the way to the end...I don't think there's a "bad" track on the big-time circuit. San Antone has an outstanding drag strip in Seguin, just East of town. Rich drag racing history over there...of course I know regional stuff better. I have heard the glory of the tracks up North and I believe every word I've read from these guys who raced there and had the time of their lives there...same as the stories you've told of the golden years in SoCal...they had some great drags here, too...but now? I just look forward to the next race. Clear as mud? You bet! Cheers, WC1
Life Is Good!
http://www.peeweebowenband.com
Support Live Music!

pro70z28

Postby pro70z28 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:08 pm

Rt. 66 has a great facility. ...and it's close. I always liked goin' to Thunder Valley out in SD. Dry hops would echo off the hills. Very cool place. Gotta' mention Cordova for history (53 years of ''World Series'' action). There's a bunch of 'em. WC has it right, it's personal preference I think.
15th Annual DRAGLIST Nationals Sometime in 2020. Somewhere in the USA.

Lionsdsisbest

Postby Lionsdsisbest » Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:59 pm

If we could narrow it down to just one and why would be cool. Thanks for the responses but i would like just one track in your opinion. In greatest drag strips think of milestones, original events, crowd counts, quality of cars raced and national publicity. Also think of weekly shows. Let me hear what you have to say.

Lionsdsisbest.

Also it would be good if you attended said track.

JRX

Postby JRX » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:22 pm

I know this might be a shock to some of you....but the feeling I get walking the sacred grounds of Indy makes it in my opinion the greatest track of all time. Surrounded by rows of corn waving in the sweet end of summer breeze, Indiana during the Big Go is something special. From the thick fog in the morning, and the scorching heat of the day, it's all capped off with a clear and chilly night that's a racers dream. The very first time I walked out on the track, I knew this was the place that everyone wanted to win at. It can turn an awful year into the thrill of a lifetime. You never forget your first or your last time there. I have made it a part of my life, and that part will be with me forever. No matter where ever I go, I will always compare it to Indy. The cackle of the nitro burning monsters echoing across the land.....close your eyes and you can almost hear it. Imagine the smells from the fuel, the parts cleaner, and the corndogs. The people are something special there...and more likely than not, no matter how their day went, they still have a smile in their hearts at the end of the day. Indy is the Big GO.
THR5 Communications

Lionsdsisbest

Postby Lionsdsisbest » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:56 pm

Great response, that is what I am looking for. Great passion and well said. A good candidate for the greatest strip of all time. Well put.

Lionsdsisbest

racersforcoffee

Postby racersforcoffee » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:51 am

An all-time track would have a heavy load on its' shoulders. This track would have to pay for itself, fire thie imagination of loyal racers and fans to keep them not only coming back regularly, but have the track become a part of local and regional culture-much like Ebbets Field or Yankee Stadium is to NY history. This track MUST fulfill the intent of the people who took us off the streets and lakebeds, circa 1950. Places that are geographically accessible, economically accessible to people of all types, culturally accessible to folks who find common, neutral ground at the strip. A place where there is intrest and a class for every vehicle and individual technical vision on the premises...inclusive, fun, charismatic.

There can be only one clear 'winner'. Union Grove, great as it still is, is beaten out by....Lions. God help us for losing her........ :cry:
The Free Market Of Ideas Works Both Ways

www.racersforcoffee.wordpress.com

Lionsdsisbest

Postby Lionsdsisbest » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:38 pm

Racersfor coffee you said it right and well. That is why I believe that Lions was the strip. Will go into more of this track in the coming weeks. My toughest story will be next month. It will be long and interesting. Broadway Bob at Union Grove was very cool too.

Lionsdsisbest

Bob Kraemer

Postby Bob Kraemer » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:07 pm

I know this might be a shock to some of you....but the feeling I get walking the sacred grounds of Indy makes it in my opinion the greatest track of all time. Surrounded by rows of corn waving in the sweet end of summer breeze, Indiana during the Big Go is something special. From the thick fog in the morning, and the scorching heat of the day, it's all capped off with a clear and chilly night that's a racers dream. The very first time I walked out on the track, I knew this was the place that everyone wanted to win at. It can turn an awful year into the thrill of a lifetime. You never forget your first or your last time there. I have made it a part of my life, and that part will be with me forever. No matter where ever I go, I will always compare it to Indy. The cackle of the nitro burning monsters echoing across the land.....close your eyes and you can almost hear it. Imagine the smells from the fuel, the parts cleaner, and the corndogs. The people are something special there...and more likely than not, no matter how their day went, they still have a smile in their hearts at the end of the day. Indy is the Big GO.
I couldn't have put it better if I tried.
Indy gets my vote. Indy is magic. Remember years ago if you won Indy you got double points?
Last ditch qualifying was great watching the fuel cars unravel them selves trying to make the field if you wern't in the show.
Bob Kraemer

Certifiable Insanity

"Friends are quiet angels that lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.''

bandit

Postby bandit » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:14 am

Indy!! "The Big Go"! Greatest how? I have lots but what is the Daytona of dragracing? Indy!
Nano!!

Return to “What's Up”