Nanook Crashes

Check in with your pals daily. What's on your mind?
Bob Kraemer

Postby Bob Kraemer » Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:54 pm

My prayers are with them also.
Please don't take this the wrong way, but maybe something poitive can come from this horrible accident.
Let me explain.
On the arm restraints some attach to the jacket by D rings sown into the jacket and others are loops to slide over your arm, why not have both attached to the same strap?
I have know idea what, were, how, why, or if the arm restraints broke.
Having both styles of attachment might prevent something like this from happening again.
I'm praying for a speedy recovery for Rick and the rest of the Hough family.
Bob Kraemer

Certifiable Insanity

"Friends are quiet angels that lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.''

jim sanders

Postby jim sanders » Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:44 pm

a doctor Jim rant if i may bee allowed... it irks me to read the little paragraph regarding the gatornats crash as an "incident".... :evil: on the nhra site

Rapid Randy Baker

Postby Rapid Randy Baker » Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:24 pm

We were talking about this last nite at the race shop. I said, I was going to shorten the length of mine up. I come from a doorcar background. When I had to start using them I didn't want to feel constrained.

After a couple of years, I see that I have no-reason to have a ton of movement in my arms. You can bet I will be looking at mine and checking the length when I suit up this year.

I got a nice post from the fuel altered group. Gloria, Rick's wife sent it. Said he was doing well, and wants to be involved in racing still. Said he would drive if she would let him! LOL

If anyone wants to see if and BP is ok with it, I would post it here. Or you can email me and I will copy it to an email.

Good to hear, I thought. :)

Rapid
NITRO PILOT

[url]http://.www.rapidrandy.net[/url]

Bob Kraemer

Postby Bob Kraemer » Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:35 pm

Randy,
Glad to hear Rick is doing better.
What do you think of the idea of having both styles of attachment to one arm restraint? Maybe this is something that could be brought up to SFI and change the specs.
Bob Kraemer

Certifiable Insanity

"Friends are quiet angels that lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.''

Rapid Randy Baker

Postby Rapid Randy Baker » Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:44 pm

Randy,
Glad to hear Rick is doing better.
What do you think of the idea of having both styles of attachment to one arm restraint? Maybe this is something that could be brought up to SFI and change the specs.
I plan on looking at how mine is attached. I think, but not sure, that the sleeve is built that way with a reinforcement in that area.

I would agree, the chance of it tearing out vs the one that goes around your arm ripping, would be greater in the sewn in one.

Maybe it is already a combo thing in my suit, I am going to check for sure.
NITRO PILOT

Lippy

Postby Lippy » Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:52 pm

Randy, sure worth looking at.
If you think it's exciting now, wait till we start it.

jim sanders

Postby jim sanders » Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:54 pm

... Randy, i don't pretend to know anything and i haven't watched the video of the crash.. in a car such as yours is it basicly just tinwork attatched to the rollcage and then the fiberglass body like my old heap was? i read that after the bodywork was damaged his hand went through the area within the cage..instead over over the top rail of the chassis?

Rapid Randy Baker

Postby Rapid Randy Baker » Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:20 pm

Jim, yeah the car just has some tinwork in the leg area and the chassis rails have a alum panel. The body is just a shell over all of it.

I watched the crash. It appears that only at the last does his arm come out. It was over top the body. When the car comes to a stop, you see him take his right arm, and lift his left arm back inside the car. The way the hoop bars are, your arm really only can go over top the rail. JMO
NITRO PILOT

draglist
Site Admin

Postby draglist » Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:23 pm

Sure you can post that letter here, Randy. bp
Bill Pratt
Draglist.com - Crowdsourced drag racing history.
Headlines and Results: http://www.draglist.com/
Drag Lists: http://www.draglist.com/draglist/draglist.php

Rapid Randy Baker

Postby Rapid Randy Baker » Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:25 pm

Thanks BP,

Here it is:

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. I brought Rick home on Tuesday night. As usual he is very upbeat, positive and optimistic about the future. He has no regrets and would get back in an altered in a heartbeat if I'd let him.

Many of you have already seen the photo's and ESPN footage, I thank GOD everyday that he didn't take Rick away from me and everyone else who loves him

We have a lot of Occupational Therapy to get through, Rick has to learn to be left handed (for 21 years he's teased me about being wrong handed, now he gets to be wrong handed too.

All you racers out there, make sure that think about your safety first, this impact was much more severe than than the impact in Boise and with Rick wearing his new R3 device, he did not sustain any neck or back injuries. He didn't even re-injure the old ones. We are both believers in the R3 device and thank the manufacturer everyday. Always check your arm restraints to make sure your hands cannot get outside the drivers cockpit not even an inch.

Again, thank you all for your thoughts and prayers, we will keep you posted with our recovery.

Rick and Gloria Hough

God Bless these people! I am glad they are involved in our sport!
NITRO PILOT

Return to “What's Up”