Music-- My other career

Check in with your pals daily. What's on your mind?
F/C Girl
Music-- My other career

Postby F/C Girl » Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:30 pm

Well, normally I wouldn't write about this, but I was asked to by a few of you, so first I'd like to say thanks for taking the interest and 2nd, if you read this, thanks for reading.

I work in the Music Industry and have professional for almost 20 years. Prior to that, I was a musician playing in rock/so rock bands all around So Cal for about 10 years or so.

I've produced albums, mixed albums and mastered albums. Where I found the most comfort and where I found my real strength was in mastering. I worked at Disney Records as a producer and mastering engineer for close to 10 years before I ventured to my own business called Moonlight Mastering. (If you google my name, you'll see more and that'll link you to my sight that is currently out dated a bit :P)

Mastering is the final sweetening of an album. The artist records the tracks in the studio and then I receive all the tracks to sequence them, make sure the levels are correct, make sure a vocal sits on top of the mix for every mix, drums are separated from the Bass & Guitars, etc...
Basically, I'm sculpting the project for continuity and a positive listening experience for the end user.

To date, I have approximately 30 or so Gold & Platinum albums and 1 of those has gone Diamond (10 mil in sales US) The span of albums I've worked on go from the Late Ray Charles, Duran Duran, Peter Gabriel, The Who, DMC (run DMC) AMG, Healer (guys from White Zombie & 38 Special (what a combo huh?)) plus 1000's of Indie Records, of late Acoustic Underground that will be playing at a couple of races in 07 with us and Tracey Whitney. I'm finishing up the 51st concert (Dallas 07) of the Who's 2006 World Tour and it will ship tomorrow, shipped Vegas, Palm Springs, Salt Lake & Denver yesterday for manufacturing.

Soundtracks I've worked on range from Academy Award winning March of the Penguins and Tsotsi, and Golden Globe winning Match Point (woody Allen) Once Upon a Time in Mexico, Bend It Like Beckham, Lion King, Remember The Titans and Eurotrip to name a few.

I was hoping the DMC solo album was going to make the Grammy nomiations, but it didn't, had a killer track on their with Kid rock and one with Sarah McGlaucklin (sorry sp????) that had an amazing video push behind it. That's life though, maybe some day the Wally & Grammy can live together on the shelve, if not, I've received an awful lot of awards for my work.

I'm lucky though, I get to call the shots, but there is a lot of sacrifice to get to where I've gotten, no vacation for 3 years, 7 days a week, 16 to 20 hours a day, I still do those hours, but don't have to pound the payment 7 days a week any more, so I CAN go racing.

I'm also very fortunate because this is what has facilitated my car. (I have to earn my keep, no rich Dad or Gramps or Sugar Daddy to help me out :P) As of now, I'm still self funded so I've learned how to do more on my car than most gals (and some guys) will ever learn to do (not All, Shelly Payne Kicks Ass) but since I am able to drive the rig & run the valves, at least for now, it reduces 1 additional crew person (until I can really afford to have everyone in place) And we ALWAYS have plenty of brewski's and Great Food, so if your ever at the track and we're there, you're all welcome to come on by and share :-)

Well, that's all I can think of for right now, so I hope this is informative and not too boring.

thanks again if you took the time to read it.

Nancy
Nancy Matter
Nancy Matter Racing, Inc.
http://www.nancymatterracing.com

SLICK VIC

Postby SLICK VIC » Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:45 pm

WOW... :shock: ..NANCY YOU ROCK....
WILL YOU BE MY SUGAR MOMMA... :wink:
THIS IS SOME GREAT STUFF, I WOULD HAVE NEVER KNOWN.
GREAT JOB
VIC.. 8)
http://www.vicmillerracing.com/
SMOLDERY SMOKEY BURNOUTS TO YOU ALL

bandit

Postby bandit » Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:47 pm

That makes you a natural for this site, Nancy!!! 8) Now, may I have an autograph!! :D PLEASE!! Just write "To bandit. Your biggest fan!"
That is too cool!! 8)
Nano!!

F/C Girl

Postby F/C Girl » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:08 pm

thanks you guys, that's really kind.

Another note: when we were at POmona, I guess Bob Frey announced over the loud speakers what I do and have done, and Dwayne Shields guys stopped me later and I guess when they announced what I do, they all stopped servicing the car and looked at each other asking if any of them knew that about me and none of them did. I've been around those guys for 5 years or so, they we're a little surprised as well and congratulated me too. It was really nice, and I didn't even know what they were talking about at first.

So, it's not something I've really talked about at the track. We're there to race and I'm working my buns off to be a great competitor.
Nancy Matter

jim sanders

Postby jim sanders » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:21 pm

:D well that's a start !! :wink:
GOOD TO GO !!
Uncle Curt Wasson album
[url=http://www.glowfoto.com/users2/gatorgumbo][img]http://www.glowfoto.com/siteimages/linktogallery.gif[/img][/url]

Barb

Postby Barb » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:56 pm

Very nice credentials Nancy :D

Rapid Randy Baker

Postby Rapid Randy Baker » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:05 pm

Cool Deal Nancy!! I had known some of that before. There are a few kids like WC1 who will love talking music and cars with you.

Nice post! 8)

Rapid
NITRO PILOT

[url]http://.www.rapidrandy.net[/url]

F/C Girl

Postby F/C Girl » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:07 pm

Cool, look forward to it.

thanks Barb,
Nancy Matter

Billy Mac

Postby Billy Mac » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:20 pm

Sounds like you and WC1 need to have a powwow or two......Thanks for posting all that info......Now...sit back....prop yer feet up and open a cold Dr Pepper.....your fingers deserve the rest :lol: :lol:
Long Live Draglist!
Thank You Vets
In God we Trust...(all others pay cash)
Billy Mac Signs-West/Pegasus Race Cars

Bob Kraemer

Postby Bob Kraemer » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:26 pm

WOW!!!!! Congrats to ya Nancy That is a great list of accomplishments. 8) 8)
Bob Kraemer

Certifiable Insanity

"Friends are quiet angels that lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.''

Return to “What's Up”