Iron Pegasus-The story

Check in with your pals daily. What's on your mind?
Billy Mac

Postby Billy Mac » Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:57 pm

yeah....I really like the pics......except for that "last" one.... :cry: :cry:

just before those "day after" pics were snapped....my mother and I were standing there just looking at things...(she was sobbing...I was still numb)..when my (then) four year old son, Jordan, came up to me and asked...."Daddy...did you scuff your car??".............I lost it.....I dropped down on my knees....hugged him like there was no tomorrow and said..."Yeah, baby....Daddy scuffed his car.....".....and damn near drowned him :cry: :cry:
Long Live Draglist!
Thank You Vets
In God we Trust...(all others pay cash)
Billy Mac Signs-West/Pegasus Race Cars

WildcatOne

Postby WildcatOne » Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:24 pm

THAT ain't in the story, Billy! See what I mean? All that's on the front page is just the text...the STORY is knowing this guy, y'all...I can't think of one single time I've ever talked to Billy that he hasn't illustrated a conversation with so many visual images and scenes...Dude belongs in print. Cheers, WC1
Life Is Good!
http://www.peeweebowenband.com
Support Live Music!

Lippy

Postby Lippy » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:28 pm

C,mon Billy, we are just like Paul Harvey, we want.........the rest of the story!!! :lol:
If you think it's exciting now, wait till we start it.

Billy Mac

Postby Billy Mac » Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:13 pm

LOL.....Ok....Here's another "not in the story" moment.......

It was a Sunday, test and tune doin's at my favorite haunt, US 19 Dragway, (Albany, Ga)........and I had made a few passes in the mid 7.60 range........when I headed to the lanes for yet another assault on the 1/8th mile.

Now, let me interject at this point, that my fiance had been keeping track of how many runs I had made and also noticing that I had not bothered to open the trunk...(where the fuel cell was located)......but she figgered there was no-way I could be THAT stupid as to not put more gas in the car......read on.....

I pulled into the water box...blipped the throttle a bit, to turn the tires over in the water...and rolled a couple of feet forward....and then waited for the signal to start my burnout. I did a good ol' fashioned tire fryer and then eased into the beams....bumped the shifter into neutral....cleaned out the carburetor a time or two, took a deep breath and let it out slowly (just to get myself mentally ready for the task at hand....a routine I do everytime I go to the line)....made sure my shoulder belts were tight, even tugged 'em a little snugger ....then I pulled the shifter into low gear, looked at the tree and eased into the staged beam..........The tree started its countdown and I left on the bottom yellow....(had a great .502 light)........and took off hell bent for the other end of the track.

A few buddies of mine...(ok....acquaitances) were standing at about half track and heard the anouncer call my name, so they got to a good vantage point along the fence.....and were kinda clowning back and forth about me and Peggy (I didn't get too much respect back then....still don't, come to think of it)........
Anyway.....I busted off down the track and things were going great......until just about half track......where the motor started coughing and sputtering and finally gave a weak sounding pooof as it choked into silence, and I coasted to a stop maybe a hundred feet past the finish line. I was wondering WTH happened and then I heard the fuel pump whirring........but just barely audible.......Well, Damn.....No fuel.

Those guys at the fence were really clowning now....poking each other in the arm and saying..."Ha Ha Ha...Check out Billy Mac's junk....Bwahhh haaa haaa".........until they heard the loud speaker proclaim......."Billy Mac, having a few problems....coasts through with an 8.02 at 65 miles per hour" They looked at each other and then up at the loudspeaker and one of 'em said....Ya know...he DID get to us awful quick!!
Long Live Draglist!
Thank You Vets

Billy Mac

Postby Billy Mac » Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:18 pm

con't

I opened my driver's door and stuck my arm out and waved for the track tow truck to come fetch me. He did....and gave me the slow tow back into the pits......As I was unhooking the tow rope from the frontend of Peggy, my fiance came strolling up (with a smug little smirk on her face) and ....ever so sweetly asked..."Did you forget something dear??

grrrrrrrr.........Didya ever get the urge to kill???.....Yeah...Me too....But I married her anyway :wink:
Long Live Draglist!
Thank You Vets

Rapid Randy Baker

Postby Rapid Randy Baker » Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:38 pm

Well damn, they still need fuel theses days!!! :lol: :lol:
NITRO PILOT

[url]http://.www.rapidrandy.net[/url]

Billy Mac

Postby Billy Mac » Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:54 am

LOL.....Yup, they do at that, Rapid....

A few weeks after runnin' it outta gas......I was back out there blowin' the cobwebs out of it when it seemed like all hell broke loose....but I wasn't Going anywhere......

A little more background needs to be included here......being such a (as BP so eloquently pointed out) "no-buck" racer, I had been through the whole gambit of rearend combinations.....stock open , limited slip, mini-spool (those things break WAY too easy :x )....and even the much illegal Lincoln Locker (welded spider gears)....with This info in mind....I bring you back to the regularly scheduled story............

I had perfromed a pretty good, smoky burnout....done a couple of dry hops ( a practice no longer needed....but some still do it )...and staged the car as I normally do......slowly and deliberately.
As the tree counted down to the bottom yellow I followed the sequence with my eyes and upon seeing that last yellow.....I matted it.......and launched with what surely would have been my best sixty foot clocking of all time .........only problem was....I had only moved about a foot (if that far) under power....and only rolled a couple of feet beyond that......(my wheelie bar wheels had not even made it to the starting line yet.....)

While I am in the car, looking at the gauges and wondering what the heck happened...my fiance is sitting in the stands freaking out cause she thinks I have had a heart attack or something.....because nothing is happening...the car just quit.....and I haven't emerged yet. ....So she's making her way out of the bleachers and heading out to the starting line area, as I am checking gauges......oil pressure...fine......Temp...acceptable.....I click the ignition switch, put the shifter in PARK and open the door. As I am crawling over the door bar...the silly car starts rolling backwards......(WTH???).....My first thought was that...."ok....pitched a driveshaft...."..........so I kneeled down to look at the pretzel'd shaft. Nope. Not the driveshaft....(it was right where it was s'posed to be)
By this time, track personel and my fiance were there beside me, all of us scratchin' our heads....(fiance backhanded my shoulder....muttering "Don't you Ever do that to me again!!"......I'm like....NOW what have I done???.........Sheesh.....Women!!!)

We got it loaded up (with the help of several fellow racers and a couple of spectators) and headed back home early. I figgered......well...it IS early....may as well find out what went wrong......

I jacked it up (on the trailer) and took the wheels off...and proceded to take the axles out.....as soon as I got the third member out....it was obvious what had happened.......the pinion gear had Kojac'd itself.....there was not a single tooth on that thing.....and it was slick as glass all the way around....(the bottom of the housing looked like a bomb had gone off in there.....) and the ring gear was unharmed......hmmm....go figure......

The "next" time I went to the track......I had a spool in there.....a Real spool......sighhhhh....."sometimes" horsetrades work out pretty good.
Long Live Draglist!
Thank You Vets

WildcatOne

Postby WildcatOne » Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:16 pm

For a minute there, I thought you were talking about driving Ludwig, Billy...great story, as always. Part II coming next week. Cheers, WC1
Life Is Good!
Support Live Music!

Billy Mac

Postby Billy Mac » Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:07 pm

ummm....errrr......uhhhh.......Cat??....BP??....is it next week yet?? :?
Long Live Draglist!
Thank You Vets

WildcatOne

Postby WildcatOne » Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:17 pm

Almost, Billy...in a Cat's life! Cheers, WC1
Life Is Good!
Support Live Music!

Return to “What's Up”