Welcome Jack Redd (JA approved)

Check in with your pals daily. What's on your mind?
RH

Postby RH » Thu May 01, 2008 2:03 pm

The mysterious black and white decal was the subject of many discussions back in the day.
Welcome Jack 8)
"I get pushed outa' shape and it's hard to steer, when I get rubber in all four gears"

Jack Redd

THANKS

Postby Jack Redd » Thu May 01, 2008 11:25 pm

I thank all of you racers for my welcome! And, RH the (JA) JAck Approved decals are still an item. The new (JA) JAck Approved Decal Club is returning! On the new list are Jon Lundberg, Dave Wallace, Don Garlits, Beverly Jacono, Bob Rosetty & his "Rat" funny car Bruce Wheeler, Don Garlits, John Robertson, who has restored the first NHRA TOP DRAGSTER RECORD HOLDER of JOE TUCCI. DRAGLIST & Bill Pratt, the YORK US 30 Reunion, Darwin Doll. Dave Bishop & the East Coast Drag News. More to come later.
Okay Jon here goes! In the early part of 1966 Tom Raley and I took a trip up to Fred Forkner Atlantic Speed Center where he was making parts for race cars. Mostly Top Fuel. So Fred, Tom & I dragged some slicks and a dragsster body, a steering wheel etc and made a dumbie dragster in front of his shop. Raley set in the car and Fred took a picture of it. I had put a JA (for JAck Approved) on my finger a pointed at the set-up. After getting back to DRAG TIMES and looking at the picture, a light bulb went off in my empty head. Back then every thing was either AAA Approved or NASCAR Approved. So I sent a letter to the Chicago Decal Company with the drawing of the decal. It started with a order of 2,500. Later 1,000 more etc. I then started the (JA) JAck Approved Decal Flyers Club. Wow! It was funny and fun and it took off. All in FUN and still is!
Check out Don Garlits Top Fuel car at the '67 NHRA Nationals. It was rumored that one of the men shot into space had one, but I could not confirm it.
One of the funniest stories was when I was in a restaurants at Indy during '67, Jack Ditmar and Lil John Buttera (who I didn't know at the time) was talking behind me. Remember Jack"s blue & white B/A coupe from Ohio. I had stuck a decal up over the counter. One of them said, "That must stand for Jackass!". I didn't say anything at the time. So, that evening someone introduced me to them at a party. And, I said, by the way "I am "Jackass, oh I mean Jack Approved" and gave them a decal. We all laughed. They won their class.
I hope you have enjoyed this. And thanks to all of the people that had and have them on their cars.
Last edited by Jack Redd on Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jack Approved!

RH

Postby RH » Fri May 02, 2008 8:57 am

Jack,thanks for sharing the story.In doing so you mention one of my heroes Joe Tucci. Joe was a great man.If you wanted to know anything about anything in my neck of the woods you paid a visit to Joes place in Quantico.The door was always open.His son Joe Jr. also raced and had a body shop here in the area before sadly passing away of cancer a few years back.Joe also had an old louver press and many a lead sled around here wore his handiwork on the hood.
"I get pushed outa' shape and it's hard to steer, when I get rubber in all four gears"

Rapid Randy Baker

Postby Rapid Randy Baker » Fri May 02, 2008 9:27 am

Thanks for the background story Jack,,,,I love to hear the good racing stories. 8)
NITRO PILOT

[url]http://.www.rapidrandy.net[/url]

Mr. Jean

Postby Mr. Jean » Fri May 02, 2008 10:57 am

Being an old west coast racer, I too, didn't know the story on the JA. Thanks for sharing and again, welcome aboard. 8)
Jean Muntifering
#7897 Comp.
Old Comp Racer

thunderlungs

PROOF! I am JA'd

Postby thunderlungs » Sat May 03, 2008 5:17 pm

Gang:

Following a deeply ritualistic and spiritual ceremony at York last year,
your humble servant was officially annointed - by the aforementioned Mr Redd hisself - Jack Approved!

And here's proof!

Jon Lundberg, ASA
Accredited Senior Appraiser, American Society of Appraisers

Rapid Randy Baker

Postby Rapid Randy Baker » Sun May 04, 2008 12:04 am

LMAO at ^^^^^^ :lol: :lol: :lol:
NITRO PILOT

[url]http://.www.rapidrandy.net[/url]

draglist
Site Admin

Postby draglist » Sun May 04, 2008 11:41 am

What a great shot! bp
Bill Pratt
Draglist.com - Crowdsourced drag racing history.
Headlines and Results: http://www.draglist.com/
Drag Lists: http://www.draglist.com/draglist/draglist.php

Jack Redd

Jack ApprovedMembers & Old Dominion Dragstrip

Postby Jack Redd » Fri May 09, 2008 12:25 am

New members of the (JA) Jack Approved Decal Flyers Club. Willie Zapata, Willie's Willys, Lew Becker, Larry Holland, Sy Sybotham, Jack & Mindy Bowman, the "Almost Famous Mopar", Dave Koffel's "Flinstone Flyer" Pachard, "Hemi Fred" Ristagno & Son, Mashie Mihalho, Eddie Stegman, Bob & Dottie Plumer, Ray Gramlich's AA/F boat, Jeff Unfried, Annie & Stacey Montgomery, Dave Cohen, Fred Bear's Gasser, Julio & Rosa Marra, DMLMarra's website, Bee-On Videos, Joe McNally, Troop 1320,Jim Swagler's "Git-Go", Jerry & Pat Baltes AA/FD, Bob Pine, Brad Adams, GeorgiaDrag Racing.com, Dave Dilbeck, Julian Magway, with more to come later!!!
After telling the story of how the (JA) deal got started, I forgot that many of the readers were now around when Fred Forkner & Tom Raley were drag racing. They were also great party goers. Fred and his side kick Ruth raced the AA/FD "Quarterhorse" out of Wilmington, Delaware.
Ruth's husband was the "main" chauffeur for the DuPont family. Now if you think the "Great Wall" of China is something, if you ever in Wilmington, checkout the Dupont Estate at the hospital. Any way, Ruth was one of the first womam crew chiefs, along with Allison Lee.
Tom Raley was the Md. NASCAR Modified Champion in 1964. He then teamed with with Ronnie Vito of Champion Automotive in a A/FD and was the NASCAR Drag Racing Champion in 1965 and runner-up in 1966. He also ran the NASCAR Grand National Circuit (later the Winston Cup) at the same time. He than drove the Jim & Allison Lee "Great Expectations" AA/FD. I loved fishing on the Lee's Estate in The Plains, Va. He also drove George Reese's "George of the Jungle" Chevy funnny car. Up until '04 he race in NASCAR's Late Model Sportman class, where I was the "Video Camera Man". After retiring from his towing company, one of the largest on the East Coast, he now resides in Daytona Beach. Both Fred & Tom raced in my Top Fuel Circuits -- "Dragsters Unlimited" and the circuit that Tom Chastang and I started "Pro Fuel Dragsters Associates.
After each meet we had a party. Cantore's in Englishtown, Thomasville Inn at York, Benedict Pier at Aquasco, White Gables at Capitol, The White Barn at Vargo, the Eagles in Catawissa (Numidia), New England, right at the track!, National Trails at Holiday Inn et.
If I don't forget, I will tell about Fred Forkner and Ray Marsh racing on Md. Rt. 301 after a race at Capitol Raceway.
Hope you have enjoyed this "lil bit'. C U later! JAck
Jack Approved!

jim sanders

Postby jim sanders » Fri May 09, 2008 12:38 am

8) great reading Jack
GOOD TO GO !!
Uncle Curt Wasson album
[url=http://www.glowfoto.com/users2/gatorgumbo][img]http://www.glowfoto.com/siteimages/linktogallery.gif[/img][/url]

Return to “What's Up”