What is your favorite non national event of all time?

Check in with your pals daily. What's on your mind?
Billy Mac

Postby Billy Mac » Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:27 pm

The DLN's and a small event held in conjunction with a Nostalgia Car Show at Dothan Dragway in Cottonwood Alabama....the site of my only WIN!!!
Long Live Draglist!
Thank You Vets
In God we Trust...(all others pay cash)
Billy Mac Signs-West/Pegasus Race Cars

Lionsdsisbest

Postby Lionsdsisbest » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:58 pm

It would be easy to say the March Meet at Famoso. That no doubt folks is the greatest independent race of all time. Factually that race would be it. I will do a post on my first March Meet of 1966. I have thought about this and surprisingly I feel this one day show is the one. The 1967 Professional Dragster Association race at the greatest drag strip of all time, Lions Drag Strip. 99% of you folks I'm sure did not see this race, trust me, it was incredible, just incredible with every player in the country except "Big" who in his own words regrets missing the race as he wanted appearance money and Pappy said no. If you went to this race at this strip you would know why. This folks was one day of history that July of 1967.

Lionsdsisbest.

Mr. Jean

Postby Mr. Jean » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:40 pm

March Meet at the old Patch was indeed a great event. I raced at that event in 76. I'm looking forward to reading your story. 8)
Jean Muntifering
#7897 Comp.
Old Comp Racer

racersforcoffee

Postby racersforcoffee » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:10 am

Talked to Dave Kerr earlier today...never seem to be able to get him to join our lil circus... he WAS there at both initial PDA's and concurs...

When I was growing up, I was sure the most magical racing in the world was on Sat. nights at OCIR when "fuel insurance in effect" was the norm, Bracket 1 started at "0.00" and went to 10.99, and the only rules were safety. Few Combo entries, much less Top cars would even consider running for 150 bucks in "Dial Your Own" ET Brackets, but the open possibilites and a wider variety of free range racing than certainly exists today stands out. By '74, this WAS weekly racing in the land that started it all, and the staging lanes were only limited in scope by simple economics during the decline of Steel and Aircraft Industry in the Southland. No Kidding; Lil' Tuttle and the other Econodragsters under the Champion Tower at Midnight.......
The Free Market Of Ideas Works Both Ways

www.racersforcoffee.wordpress.com

draglist
Site Admin

Postby draglist » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:37 pm

Hey, Racers... tell ol' Dave that I said, GIT UP HERE... talk about one of the pioneers of putting out nostalgia based drag racing films. Dave has shot an NHRA event or two for draglist over the years. I'd love to have him join us. bp
Bill Pratt
Draglist.com - Crowdsourced drag racing history.
Headlines and Results: http://www.draglist.com/
Drag Lists: http://www.draglist.com/draglist/draglist.php

BobK49

Postby BobK49 » Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:54 am

Pop Hot Rod Championships - US 131 dragway
HRR - Bowling Green KY.
Halloween Clasic - Norwalk Ohio
I have to somewhat agree with my pal Zappy on the PHR meets at 131 in Michigan, but my all-time best non-national event was in 1972, at Tri-City Dragway in mid-Michigan. I was a track worker at TCD and we hosted an NHRA Division 3 points meet. This was back when all the fuel funny cars and dragsters had to run a few points meets a year to gain entry into the World Finals. (Seems the finals were held out in Tulsa, OK). Ours was the last Div 3 points meet of the year, and the meet was held only on Saturday. I arrived at the track at 7 AM and there were cars already lined up at the gate. And they just kept coming all day. Fuel Funny Cars, TF dragsters, I wish I could remember all the names. I do remember not getting home until about 2 AM on Sunday. Never have been so exhausted. I could tell an interesting story about an incident with a certain division director, and a security guard, but I won't. Suffice it to say I used all of my diplomat skills to prevent any injuries. Ahhhhh, the good ol days!

Oh! And my best current non-National event, was probably considered "national" at least by me. That would be the CHRR at Bakersfield in 06. I had been wanting to go to Bakersfield to the CHRR for about the last 10 years. What hooked me was the night the wife and i came home from dinner one October evening 10 years ago, to find the answering machine blinking. It was a message from a good friend. I think the only words he spoke were "Wish you were here!" In the backgroud I could hear the unmistakable cackle of Nitro, and barely make out Dave McClelland's familiar voice! the cackling went on for about 30 seconds, then he hung up. I had a hard time getting to sleep that night. I kept that message on my machine for over a year. I'll get back out to Bakersfield one day. You can count on it!

animal jim

Best of All Time? WOW!!

Postby animal jim » Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:57 pm

:D It is a toss up. :roll: Broadway Bob's The Olympics of Drag Racing, The World Sreries at Cordova, The Night's of Fire at Englishtown and Atco. :wink:

I would say the choice depends on your involvement. A fan, racer, booked car, media person, promotor, sponsor. :?: :?:

I could also say: The AHRA 1982 Gateway Nationals -my first national event win in Pro Stock. :wink: :) Also many USSC & UDRA races. :wink:

Like I said it depends where you are sitting and when. 8)

Or it could be races I won as a local Sportsman at Oswego, IL. :) 8)

Those early local years I raced are as dear to me now as when I raced them. :D

HOW IS THAT FOR A CONFUSING ANSWER :?: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Old age has caused me to become un decisive :lol:
It has been quite a ride!

BobK49

Postby BobK49 » Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:43 am

I forgot about the Broadway Bob show. Went there in 89 with the Mid-Century Mercury Club show. We got to parade the Mercs down the track. Then we stayed awhile and watched the jets run. McEwen was there with the 57 Chevy funny car, and the Christine Plymouth Fury was there too. Alas, we didn't get to stay long enough. We went back to the Kenosha Merc show the following year, but the Saturday night drags were rained out. Sigh.

animal jim

MERCS

Postby animal jim » Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:27 pm

:D Bob is your icon a 49/50 Merc? I cannot see the rear of fenders good.

I had a nice 51 custom Merc when I was 18-19. (1959 & 1960) It was white pearl hand rubbed lacquer, lowered to Lucky Strike package ht. , twin functional spots, full length functional lakepipes, cruisier skirts, vette grill bar, stick overdrive, org. Flathead, etc. :D :D :D :wink: :wink:

Dash and interior window frames were pinstriped by expert free hander Jerry Soens, gas filler door had lavender JS pinstripe design. Body was nosed & decked. The taillights, parking lights & headlights frenched, door handles removed. She was a beauty. 8) :D :wink:

Saddly I have no pictures of that car or many others I had when young. I do have a list of almost 100 vehicles I owned since 1957. Many would now be great classics. Many were muscle cars. I wish I had pictures of them all. :? I wish I had some of the cars. I could retire :!: :lol:

My older brother had a 39 and a 51 Merc convertable. You can pictures of them on my web: www.animaljimracing.com Click on AJ & Friends Hot Machines & Classic Cars gallery and search the thumbs on the side. :) :wink:
It has been quite a ride!

Return to “What's Up”