What is your favorite non national event of all time?

Check in with your pals daily. What's on your mind?
Gator
Maryland Int'l

Postby Gator » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:24 am

AJ... at MIR

That night in front of 20,000 plus
You and I

(after beating off the "blower cars")..that final..dewy,foggy...one of my favorite memories..........
www.wallybell.com

BobK49

Re: MERCS

Postby BobK49 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:39 pm

:D Bob is your icon a 49/50 Merc? I cannot see the rear of fenders good.

I had a nice 51 custom Merc when I was 18-19. (1959 & 1960) It was white pearl hand rubbed lacquer, lowered to Lucky Strike package ht. , twin functional spots, full length functional lakepipes, cruisier skirts, vette grill bar, stick overdrive, org. Flathead, etc. :D :D :D :wink: :wink:

Dash and interior window frames were pinstriped by expert free hander Jerry Soens, gas filler door had lavender JS pinstripe design. Body was nosed & decked. The taillights, parking lights & headlights frenched, door handles removed. She was a beauty. 8) :D :wink:

Saddly I have no pictures of that car or many others I had when young. I do have a list of almost 100 vehicles I owned since 1957. Many would now be great classics. Many were muscle cars. I wish I had pictures of them all. :? I wish I had some of the cars. I could retire :!: :lol:

My older brother had a 39 and a 51 Merc convertable. You can pictures of them on my web: www.animaljimracing.com Click on AJ & Friends Hot Machines & Classic Cars gallery and search the thumbs on the side. :) :wink:
Sorry Jim, I missed your question til Gilles pointed it out to me. It's a 49, Sport Sedan, 355 Chevy, 700R4 trans, and 3.08 Camaro rear end. It has 79 El Dorado power seats, cruise, Pioneer stereo, and it's still fun to own and drive. I bought it in 87 with the original flattie still untouched. I rebuilt it with Offy finned heads, dual carb manifold, electric fuel pump, finned oil filter, and duals with Smitty's. It had a set of Red's headers too. The overdrive 3 speed worked good after I found a 12v solenoid to fit. It was an A. C. Delco solenoid, bolted right in. In 2000 a good friend and engine builder made me an offer to swap to Chevy power, and I took him up on it due to all of us here trying to go farther and faster to shows. When we rebuilt the flathead we could still get leaded gas everywhere, so we didn't install hardened valve seats. Over the years it became a problem, so we swapped in the Chevy. I did find a happy home for the flathead and drivetrain and nearly made enough to cover the cost of the swap. I've had no regrets about not keeping the flathead. And if someone wanted to buy the Merc I'd have no regrets about selling for a fair price.

Return to “What's Up”