What car was the one that hhoked you on the drags?

Check in with your pals daily. What's on your mind?
Lionsdsisbest
What car was the one that hhoked you on the drags?

Postby Lionsdsisbest » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:37 pm

What car made the 1st and biggest impression on you to set the dragracing hook?

Lionsdsisbest

Lionsdsisbest

Postby Lionsdsisbest » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:48 pm

Sorry for the spelling, I wanted to say hooked.

Lionsdsisbest

Bob Kraemer

Postby Bob Kraemer » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:51 pm

It would probably be Funny Car's.
I remember watching Barry Setzers car and others on TV in the early 70's at the Winter Nationals, World Finals or the Super Nationals at Ontario.
Bob Kraemer

Certifiable Insanity

"Friends are quiet angels that lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.''

Heather712SC

Postby Heather712SC » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:14 pm

This may sound lame... But the dragster that got me hooked, was actually my dad's very own. He won a championship for Super Comp. back in 1992, and I remember thinking, "I want to do that when I'm older".
MY DRAGSTER AND CREW RUNS OFF ALCOHOL.

MY DRiNKiNG TEAM HAS A RACiNG PROBLEM...

WildcatOne

Postby WildcatOne » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:43 pm

A best-of-3 match race in June, 1962, at Dickinson, Texas, the first time I went to the drags. It was Vance Hunt vs. Bobby Langley. Two rails with 6-71 blown, cast-iron Chrysler hemis with Hilborn stacks and scoops on top, weed-burner headers, M&H slicks, and bombshell fuel tanks, running on 98%, with a flagman starter. J. L. Payne was driving for Hunt. The first round, the Scorpion had problems and Payne breezed through. The second round, both of them blasted off like a million times thunder, and they screamed beyond anything I ever imagined I'd ever hear...they ran 8-flat, and left a quarter-mile of towering columns of white smoke behind. The run was declared a dead-heat. The scent of nitromethane drifted over to my nostrils and I was instantly transformed into a lifelong fuel junkie. Cheers, WC1
Life Is Good!
http://www.peeweebowenband.com
Support Live Music!

art d

Postby art d » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:46 pm

the original speed sport roadster 1957. I don't think there ever has been a louder car

Solid Rock

Postby Solid Rock » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:17 pm

I'd have to say that the one that really got to me was the War Wagon 1946 Chevy pickup truck of Frank Papesh.
Along with that there were several others that were in the pics that purple66bu popsted from Oswego several months ago.
The War Wagon was at the top of the list.

draglist
Site Admin

Postby draglist » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:26 pm

For me, it was not a real race car. I didn't get to see a real race car run for at least five years after I got hooked.

It started with the drag mags on the local drug store news stands. Funny cars, baby.

Then it was the KING CAMARO centerfold in some magazine a kid showed me at my cousin's house.

Then it was the AHRA Drag Racing trading cards, with Ramchargers, and Big John Mazmanian, and the Gay Bros, and more.

Then it was plastic models, funny cars, of course...

Although I had built a few muscle car (AFX type) models and had raced Pinewood Derby in the Cub Scouts, the funny cars cemented it for me, whether they were in print, on bubble gum cards, on the radio (Dragway 42, Thompson -- although I couldn't afford to go), and MODELS, of which I probably had 30 to 50 in my childhood... they were built into countless combinations... bp
Bill Pratt
Draglist.com - Crowdsourced drag racing history.
Headlines and Results: http://www.draglist.com/
Drag Lists: http://www.draglist.com/draglist/draglist.php

SLICK VIC

Postby SLICK VIC » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:30 pm

1975, 10 YEARS OLD.
.SEATTLE FALLNATIONALS

http://www.vicmillerracing.com/
SMOLDERY SMOKEY BURNOUTS TO YOU ALL

Zappy

Postby Zappy » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:09 am

AA/FD Connie Kalitta's gold 427 SOHC Ford.......OH YEAH !!!!
(there was no such thing as a funny car when I got hooked - opps showin my age :oops: )

Return to “What's Up”