Anyone ever race/rod a Flathead Ford?

Check in with your pals daily. What's on your mind?
RH
Anyone ever race/rod a Flathead Ford?

Postby RH » Tue May 29, 2007 8:59 pm

I've often thought a gas flattie altered/dragsterwould be a neat niche nostalgia car to run.We had quite a few around here in the late 50s -early 60s. I've heard that alky and fuel pose heat/cracking problems due to the basic engine port design but that gas is pretty reliable.

My only practical knowledge is that we had a rusted up 53 sed that my cousin knocked the front off of in about 65 and we ran the thing sans cooling and with dubious oil level 2-3 years and used it to haul timber out of the woods.The thing would not die! :shock:

Anyone have any experience with them?

Ron
"I get pushed outa' shape and it's hard to steer, when I get rubber in all four gears"

jim sanders

Postby jim sanders » Tue May 29, 2007 9:09 pm

:lol: never tried to abuse them Ron but i have a pair of 8ba cars in my driveway.. :roll: (dad's cars)....
GOOD TO GO !!
Uncle Curt Wasson album
[url=http://www.glowfoto.com/users2/gatorgumbo][img]http://www.glowfoto.com/siteimages/linktogallery.gif[/img][/url]

Lippy

Postby Lippy » Tue May 29, 2007 11:49 pm

Yes. LOL. Image Image Image Nitro causes many problems with a flathead ford. LOL. Like blowing the heads off and stuff. LOL. Ron, this is the same car that's in my avatar, a few years ago.
If you think it's exciting now, wait till we start it.

RH

Postby RH » Wed May 30, 2007 12:31 pm

:lol: :lol:
Lippy,you have pretty much echoed what I've heard about running the yellow stuff.I've also heard that you should not run a flattie unless you are in tight with a good cast welder/machinist.
That being said ,a gas car running high 6s-low 7s in the 1/8 should not be too volatile I think?.
Then again,I think that bluewater fishing shouldn't be too volatile but here I am with 11 screws in my arm and my 3rd fishing related injury in the last 5 years so what the heck do I know :shock: :wink:

Dang,that's a pretty looking ol' bullet in that picture 8)
I can see why you blowed it up :roll: ya' forgot to put enuff header pipes on it :wink:

Ron
"I get pushed outa' shape and it's hard to steer, when I get rubber in all four gears"

RH

Postby RH » Wed May 30, 2007 12:36 pm

:lol: never tried to abuse them Ron but i have a pair of 8ba cars in my driveway.. (dad's cars)....
Jim,
8) 8)
What models?
There's a clean solid 53 2 door wagon on RJ right now for 5k.
2 doors are hard to find.

Ron

jim sanders

Postby jim sanders » Wed May 30, 2007 12:50 pm

a 49 coupe and a 50 2dr... i'll post a couple pics in a bit..

jim sanders

Postby jim sanders » Wed May 30, 2007 1:07 pm

dad's cars..
ImageImage

RH

Postby RH » Wed May 30, 2007 6:29 pm

dad's cars..
ImageImage
Jim,
Couple of nice looking rides there and some real jewels for sure! Love them coupes :wink:
Thanks for the pics.
Buddy of mine Buck Anderson had a 50 Ford coupe with s/b Chevy and straight axle that he ran for years at BPs old stompin' grounds MIR.

BP,
car was red and had MR.Schlitz on the sides in gold leaf,should have been running when you were track announcer there but maybe a little earlier.If not you might remember his next car which was Malcom Durhams old AWB 65 with a rat on hilborns and alky-Rat's Nest.Ran out of Schwartz Bros.Speed Shop in Alex. Actually,both of these may have been before your time you young whipper-snapper :P

Ron

draglist
Site Admin

Postby draglist » Wed May 30, 2007 10:17 pm

HI Ron. Sorry... don't remember that car and I sure would have if I saw it. I was there from 1986 to 2002... bp
Bill Pratt
Draglist.com - Crowdsourced drag racing history.
Headlines and Results: http://www.draglist.com/
Drag Lists: http://www.draglist.com/draglist/draglist.php

jim sanders

Postby jim sanders » Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:11 pm

dad's cars..
ImageImage
just got word that both cars are now on e-bay... guess i need to get them both fired up and wash the bird poo of of them in the rain today :roll:

Return to “What's Up”