need some inoput/advice.Lenco drive style trans???

Check in with your pals daily. What's on your mind?
Big Erik
need some inoput/advice.Lenco drive style trans???

Postby Big Erik » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:46 pm

guys anyone here run a lenco drive tranny Rapid is that what you got??.......I am really seriously considering one for our stude when we redo it.......I see that it would be better to just buy one as the front case is not like that of a regular lenco.......also i have heard the bruno's aren't to good with an air brake in them?? i looked and the donovan torque link also uses an air brake??.......the thing about them though it they make it so my lenco stuff bolts up to it....even make the 6 spline course input....right now i have two 4 speeds and am buyin a three speed for 'parts".......my dad has heard the air assisted brake is slow.(my lights are so bad how would anyone know lol)anyone know??.......that donovan setup looks pretty decent I KNOW the lenco one is trick......i am just in the "considering" stage right now........I'd like to be able to keep my lenco stuff so i have spare stuff for both cars.........anyone got any info?? prices?? a buddy bought his lenco drive complete new for 10k without converter but if i buy the 400 style dad has a bunch of converters sooo??........and no I do not have 10k right now either LOL ERIK
I'm everything they say i am......I'm so bad......Baby i don't care!!!

jed5161

Postby jed5161 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:16 pm

we got the lencodrive in our dragster. only problem we've ever had with it was we blew up a bearing in the convertor and it put metal in the pump of the lencodrive. Ron Muenks ran a 6.09 at houston few years back in 2950 lb 63 vette. 526 psi screw blower. Before that he was running one of our 400 turbo's. Like i said that that was our only problem. brake consistancy is great, durability is great, and we dont even run a tranny cooler. Its jus alittle different to get used to after having both a clutch and a regular powerglide car since you have to stop the input shaft before shifting and that. We got the air shifters with the ACD (advanced control device) shifting system installed. Works perfect every pass. We're putting one in our new pro mod car. Only thing i wanna do different is run transmission specialties' new caddy convertor. They claim less than 2% slip in the convertor. with our Neil Chance right now is 12% (tall tire and higher ratio gear 4.10's and 1.63 low in trans)
Jared Micetich
Top Dragster 5161

www.myspace.com/jed5161

Bob Kraemer

Postby Bob Kraemer » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:41 pm

Erik,
If you are currentlt running a dual or triple disk clutch I would stick with that. A converter drive may take less maintance, but you can do more with a clutch to get the car down a junk track than a converter.
Just my 2 cents worth. :)
Bob Kraemer

Certifiable Insanity

"Friends are quiet angels that lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.''

Big Erik

Postby Big Erik » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:44 pm

Jared thanks for the info.......I'd like to run the levers still how does one stop the input without the acd thing???..........Bob, this would be in our other car my dads old 53 stude.he's always run a glide and thats what we'lls tart with but we wanna set it up for a lenco.......in the 62 I am running an antique single sintered iron three finger adjust able long style.I am at about the edge of that ..I have a crower dual disc to put in it but it needs a floater and some discs no big deal but I have yet to send it in to be freshened.and I need a deeper can for that.........actually right now I ma having some issues at the big end.I am not sure but if the track is iffy at all it seems to eiher spin the tires or drive through the cluchboth times it has done it i have legged it through tryin to qualify instead of lifting l,ike I should..next pass it always runs fine any other time if ya did that the clutch would be gone the next launch so to me it is hitting the tires down there.a dual disc shouldelp that and pick the car up I'd think.........?? I really dunno.I am at that point where it is unknown to me........the other thing it has only doen this at Cordova..........ERIK

Bob Kraemer

Postby Bob Kraemer » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:21 pm

Erik,
The ACD shifters are just used for automatic shifting of the Lenco and has nothing to do with the trans brake. I think what Jared was trying to say was about shifting between forward & reverse, that takes a little getting use to if you are used to a powerglide or a clutch & Lenco.
Ya I would say you are maxed out on that single disk clutch, you can adjust it but only to a point, that Crower dual disk would go a long way in solving the small & big end problems.
Bob Kraemer

Certifiable Insanity

"Friends are quiet angels that lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.''

jed5161

Postby jed5161 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:59 am

does your clutch have steel inlays on the floaters and pressure plates? we ran into that on our aft clutchs. seems like we could never get enough clutch into it on the line then all of sudden its way too much with minimal change. We ended up putting a bronze enlay in place of all the steel ones. We still got pretty much all of clutch stuff left and spares too.
Jared Micetich
Top Dragster 5161

www.myspace.com/jed5161

Big Erik

Postby Big Erik » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:33 am

jared, well the one in the car is just an old singl disc unit no floater of course and the p/p is steel......I know i am doing way more with thats etup than i am supposed to.....what ya got for the aft?? is it a 10 inch or 10.5 or??......it is for a hemi though probably too???.........ERIK

jed5161

Postby jed5161 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:04 pm

its for big block chevy crank. 11 inch aft dual disk. bronze inlay on floaters and pressure plates. its all billet aluminum flywheel, floaters, and pressure plates with inlays bolting in. (dont know if yours is same as that or not) we got boxes of spare discs, floaters, inlay plates, all the weights to bolt to fingers, pressure plate stands, studs, etc. also have all tools to setup and maintain. there's enough for 2-3 complete clutches plus spares. only thing we're lacking to make multiple completes is extra flywheel main plate. Dad was wanting 4000 bucks to everything. Can even work up a setup for ya if you wanted. give him a call if you like. BRUCE work-641-828-7030 thats our business advance transmission. Cell is 641-891-3699
Jared Micetich
Top Dragster 5161

www.myspace.com/jed5161

Rapid Randy Baker

Postby Rapid Randy Baker » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:35 pm

Erik,

Let me tell you my opinion of Jared and his father Bruce and uncle Britt. If I only had 50-dollars to my name, and no way to get any more money ever. If they asked for it I would hand it over and not think twice. They are a few of the REALLY GOOD ONES!! 8)
NITRO PILOT

[url]http://.www.rapidrandy.net[/url]

Big Erik

Postby Big Erik » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:23 pm

Randy, I agree. while I do not personally "know Jared or his dad I have been around them for awhile....now to get my hands on 4 grand to buy the clutch??.......thats really what i need the problem is, I also need a deeper can......a buddy has a new browell billet one and it too is priced right.but again I am outa dough LOL!!.........actually waht will most likely happen since dad and I are building a new chassis for the stude, the 62 will stay how it is and I'll run it whne i want to and the stude will be for the fast races........ :twisted:

Return to “What's Up”