The Tn. non drag racing sanctioned tragedy, Check This Out!

Check in with your pals daily. What's on your mind?
racersforcoffee

Postby racersforcoffee » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:31 pm

Thank you, Bill.

When I first joined the Draglist forum, I pledged to you I'd leave my self-described "drag racing dissident" 'tude at the door. I absolutely have feelings regarding responsibility and just enough college law to get me nowhere fast! Wally knows how much I respect him---one reason being he has the 'nads to feel, think and respond where his sense of honor calls.
That takes courage these days. That said, the culture here should remain dialogue, rather than debate. I respect everyone on this board I've ever read-even when reading from 'the other side' of the sport. Keeping DL clean of the rage on the rest of the 'net is what keeps it so special, IMO

Regards,
Rev.
The Free Market Of Ideas Works Both Ways

www.racersforcoffee.wordpress.com

Zappy

Postby Zappy » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:40 pm

Bill thank you, I did have Beegator - Gator girl - and Gator mixed up. I was wrong and apologize to Mr. Bell, I ment no disrespect.

We all agree this was horrible, avoidable sure. But where do we draw the line. There is risk in most everything. Racing with a crowd to watch has risk, should we stop that??

Parades: the horses or elephants could be spooked and trample the crowd, should we stop them??

Please don't misunderstand me, I'm NOT making light of this. But lets go back to the intent of the event in the first place. It was a fund raiser for KIDS. What more noble cause is there. If you ban this event who really looses...the Kids thats who.

Lippy

Postby Lippy » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:31 pm

Good thing I didn't get in this deal earlier. Cause I'm with Wally. You just don't do that crap. Those people standing there along the road have no Idea how violent those cars are. The guy in the car does though. He is the one pushing the pedal. He is responsible. Sorry. If I shoot you, I will not blame the gun manufacturer, or the one who made the bullets, I pulled the trigger.
If you think it's exciting now, wait till we start it.

Zappy

Postby Zappy » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:41 pm

Very true Lippy, but in this case he did not aim the car at the crowd & drop the hammer. All I'm saying is there was NO intent to do any harm.

Lippy

Postby Lippy » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:59 pm

All I'm saying Zap is, there was no one else in the car. Hence no one else pushed the pedal. Remember when you did something wrong in school and all your buddies scurried off so they didn't get in trouble, even though it was their idea? Nope, your the one who was dumb enough to do it, so you fry.
If you think it's exciting now, wait till we start it.

Zappy

Postby Zappy » Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:24 am

You've got a point Lippy. Well I guess this horse has just about been beat to death. So unless someone has a new piont of view..............

Novel-T

Postby Novel-T » Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:27 am

Few people not involved in drag racing realize how dangerous a burnout is.When I returned to racing after a 23 yr break,I had never done a water burnout.I was very suprised how violent it was.From the stands it looks smooth.
Several years ago,Dave and I took the altered to a car show that was at one of the properties of my employer.Lots of rods and classics,but only one other race car,a S/C type doorslammer.
The suggestions to do a burnout started almost as soon as we unloaded,Then the organisers started.This went on all day.I could not seem to make them understand that with only rear brakes,I did'nt have room to stop."Just do a little one"they said.Only the other racer understood how dangerous it would be.He did do a linelock burnout at the end of the day.
The irony here is ,at the same time,on the same property,there was a first aid and safety completion.

Heather712SC

Postby Heather712SC » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:38 am

This was a super sad tragedy that occured. None the less, I guess the driver of the car was only doing what he thought he had to do by filing bankruptcy. If he couldn't have dished out the million of dollars that he would have been sued for, what difference does it really make?! Yeah, the people who lost loved ones that day, which may they R.I.P., can sue the driver, but they will sue for much more than what Mr. Driver has to offer. If they really want to look into it, which the lawyers probably are going to do, there has to be contracts somewhere. Many people do not get a sponsership, or car show deal, with a hand shake this day and age. Now, if they really want the money that they are going to go for, they need to find these contracts, and get more people involved.

Now, do I think sueing is the right thing to do?! Not at all. We all know there is a risk in everything we do. One can get hit by a car when walking down the street. And, of course, someone ((the driver's)) life is now in a downward spiral from the possible law suits that can occur. Yeah, I may be young. But I have seen many, many racers test their car on the street. Even at a race one may attend and watch, there is the possiblity and when a car is being warmed up, it may hop off the jacks. Very rare, but still possible. Don't get me wrong, this was a very sad event that happened. But this day... Everyone is so "sue" happy. And, as often as many try, sueing another for a sum in the millions of dollars mark, will not bring anyone back. It will help out with the bills one may have occured and loss of wages. But living largly off of someone's loss of life, I think, is not the right way to go.

I hope the promotor of this event, or who allowed the said burn out, at least covered the medical expenses of others and the expenses of those who have passed on from this event.

Again, this is just my opinion. Disregard it, if you may. Maybe I have a different view right now on law suits as I just got out of a B.S. one. Although, I do think the right people who were involved in this event, should step up, whether being sued or not. Being a coward is not a good way out.
MY DRAGSTER AND CREW RUNS OFF ALCOHOL.

MY DRiNKiNG TEAM HAS A RACiNG PROBLEM...

Solid Rock

Postby Solid Rock » Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:39 pm

Very, very well put Heather.

"There but for the grace of God, go I" is what I feel about this event. My sympathies go out to all of those involved.

I've done many, many stupid and dangerous things in my life and I'm just thankfull every time I read or hear of some tragedy like this, that my actions didn't have tragic results like this one.

As for Critchley filing bankruptcy, I wonder how many of us would not do the same thing if put in a situation like this. I'm assuming he has a family of his own and has to do what he can to protect them.

Zappy

Postby Zappy » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:29 pm

Well put Heather. And Solid Rock, your right on sir: "There but for the grace of GOD, go I" I think if we are honest we ALL can look back in our past and say the same thing.

Return to “What's Up”