The Tn. non drag racing sanctioned tragedy, Check This Out!

Check in with your pals daily. What's on your mind?
Gator

Postby Gator » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:56 pm

Makes me ill.

I've spent a lifetime in Drag Racing and never (until now), had to explain to friends how this kind of Off track thing could happen.A Race Car with that kind of power!! Error in judgment..Well I'll say....
Yes..you have a right to your opinion..But bear in mind this resulted in DEATH..DEATH

Then this?..read the story........Read it..Bankrupcy?..come on...

Pissin' match is just fine with me...
My perspective on Drag Racing has been long & passionate..Things like this, even happening on on a Street..hurt..........

These families suffered needlessly and deserve a Ton!
www.wallybell.com

Gator

Postby Gator » Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:05 pm

gator, I really do agree with everything you have said......and filing backruptcy is a horsesh#t way out of it.BUT i also wonder......just how does one go about putting a price on a lost loved one and how much money does it take for the hurt to go away??.....there i disagree but again it is my opinion and I am not at all upset at your opinion.......this bunch seems to be way more level headed than any other group I am in and i do not want something like this to change it there are other forums which i lurk on that boy do guys hate one another........this is at least for me not what this group is about.what happened, happened no one can take it back and fighting over who is more to blame cannot help..what is also sad about this is all the money that has been raised for kids in the past by this will no longer be raised......not only did people lose thier lives, destroy thier lives, but now what about the money that went for a good cause.now if ya wanna hang Mr Critchly fine.......take the $$$ you get and GIVE IT to those kids.....??? again there's little good that'll ever come from any of it........poor judgement is just that...........poor judgement.............I for one cannot say i have never done anything dumb in front of others where they coulda been hurt.........thank God nothing i ever did that was stupid hurt anyone.........ERIK
Erik,
Would some of us ever even be able to work or carry on life after something like this took our child? $$$'s are needed to live on,etc,etc.
These guys really unimpress me by their ambivilence.....come on!
God I hope no other Racer does something like this again....
I finally watched it on you tube this am (sickening)
A Lot of people have watched this......

The story on www.wmctv really cranked me up on this stupid tragedy.

These cars are dangerous enough in a controlled (some) envirenment..(sp.)
Last edited by Gator on Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.wallybell.com

Zappy

Postby Zappy » Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:17 pm

Eric, you are SO right. We have ALL done things that later we realise could have gone bad. We were lucky. This driver was not.

I say lets stop the risky practice going on that is a potential tragity, BEFORE it happens. Like: no lifting F/C bodys after start-up. No adjusting T/F engines on the launch pad. No adjusting wheelie bars, turning on 'puters, no one on track in front of a car doing a burn-out.

there are lots of ways to make our sport safer - does it take someone getting hurt (or worse) before we make corrections???

Gator

Postby Gator » Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:32 pm

No Race Cars (3000hp give or take), doing Street Burnouts is probably a good place to start.

This thread is about the www.wmctv.com link..

If we want to discuss ways to make On/At Track Safety improvements..Start a thread regarding that...
This deal,including the clever bankruptcy is a whole different thing....
www.wallybell.com

Zappy

Postby Zappy » Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:44 pm

You're right Ma'am, didn't mean to hi-jack. Just trying to be instructive in stead of destructive.

Gator

Postby Gator » Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:02 pm

Ma'Am?

Then start an Instructive Safety Thread vs. a destructive one.....
Not trying to be a prick , but hoping many will see the rest of this story... www.wmctv.com

ma'am?
WTF
www.wallybell.com

Zappy

Postby Zappy » Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:18 pm

Just trying to be respectfull, no offence ment.....

WildcatOne

Postby WildcatOne » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:03 pm

Thanks for posting the link, Gator and Jean...this is a volatile issue that has some very clearly defined parameters, and many of us have stood at opposite ends of this ordeal, all carefully read and understood but each person has their own feelings about what happened. Here's mine, with respect to all and thanks for being open and honest.

My first knee-jerk reaction was to track down the people who did this, take the law into my own hands and punish them by bruising and scarring them everywhere but on the soles of their feet. All who participated in that massacre were responsible and accountable. The driver, his crew, the promoter, the people who put the event on, and the sponsors whose names are festooned across the side of the car that killed all those innocent people. That's not just my opinion, it is my instinct. The circumstances speak for themselves. There was no excuse for doing what they did. They never should have done that; at the very least they were tempting fate to begin with. No one with half an ounce of common sense would have staged a 3,000 horsepower burnout on a city street with a huge crowd standing there with no guardwalls. I am not a "sad accident" person on this. I believe it was avoidable with the slightest hint of sensible judgement. It was a money gig. So they did it.

I haven't heard if there were any indictments issued, but now that these cowards have disclaimed any responsibility either by ownership or participation, and the driver is not owning up to his committal of this act by protecting himself financially from the victims, I take it all as a complete denial. Roll over, Johnnie Cochran. You're missing one hell of a slime-fest. It's one thing to do what they did, but it goes one giant leap further to disavow any responsibility for having done it...and it looks like they might even get away with it. In a criminal court, this would probably be brought in as second-degree manslaughter at the very least, first-degree due to the planning of it at the most. Murder, in legal terms, takes on different degrees and levels as well as definitions since lawyers and insurance companies took over our country a while back. So the good news is that this isn't a capital punishment situation. But stepping outside of the rigid confines of legal entrapment and escape that this has turned into...a game...what about the morality of what is happening that the people responsible for this horrible ("crime"?) are doing now? They'll weasel out of it; they're already trying. It goes beyond anger with me, folks. It turns into a sickening feeling of helplessness while I watch these reptiles make their moves to get out from under the burden of their own actions and not accept the consequences. It literally makes me sick.

What goes around, comes around. And it comes back in spades, for better or for worse. There is no avoiding it or putting it off. It happens to everyone for everything they do, good and bad, and it always happens on time and in full. Mark my words, if these people dissuade justice being served on them for what they've done, justice will eventually find them and be given to them in measures they never dreamed it could, and they will be powerless to stop it. I guess that pretty much makes my 2 cents' worth.

Again, we're a family here, I respect and appreciate every single one of us and I have read and felt great empathy for all who posted here. This is my own take on the deal, and although I hope I am not burned at the stake for it, at least it's great to have a place to express my words.

God Bless the families who were so terribly hurt by this, and I will also pray for the people who are responsible for it. They will need it most of all. WC1
Last edited by WildcatOne on Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life Is Good!
http://www.peeweebowenband.com
Support Live Music!

Big Erik

Postby Big Erik » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:11 pm

unfortunatly it almost always takes something like this to put a stop to it.and i said POOR JUDGEMENT not simply an "error".anyway this is going where I said it was .and I have agreed.. weather I think people should be sued over this is irrealevant......since they ARE being taken to court.........they should be men about it and stand up for themselves rather than file bankruptcy.and I do beleive whoever owns the tream and the car should go right along with the driver instead of hiding themselves........again and i am not gonna say any more about it........this is a VERY SAD TRAGEDY.and it takes credability away from all of us!!.not so many years ago we were all just abunch of hoodlums with dangerous cars..........it has taken some time to try and change that image.......ERIK
I'm everything they say i am......I'm so bad......Baby i don't care!!!

draglist
Site Admin

Postby draglist » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:15 pm

Zappy, you are probably mistaking Gator for BeeGator.

Gator is Pro Mod pioneer Wally Bell. BeeGator is racing fan and rookie nostalgia FC driver Annette Mach.

As for the event, we are all shocked, horrified, sickened, pissed off, embarrassed, you name it. But I don't know what we are supposed to do next. I can't feel worse than I do. I can't bring back those precious kids. Yes, I certainly am disappointed that the car owners are leaving Troy out on a limb by himself. And despite his stone cold screw up, I know Troy and he is one of the nicest guys I've ever met in the sport. And he's definitely nowhere close to being a millionaire. So where is that money going to come from? I have no answers. I only have sadness. bp
Bill Pratt
Draglist.com - Crowdsourced drag racing history.
Headlines and Results: http://www.draglist.com/
Drag Lists: http://www.draglist.com/draglist/draglist.php

Return to “What's Up”