Numbers with Special Meanings!

Check in with your pals daily. What's on your mind?
Rapid Randy Baker
Numbers with Special Meanings!

Postby Rapid Randy Baker » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:07 am

Mike posted in another thread about 707 having a special meaning to him. Rather than derailing that thread I thought I would start a new one.

That number 707, also has a lot of meaning to me. Wally Bell introduced me to Wild Bill Kuhlman in Texas. Bill had blown an engine, Wally took me over and said, "This is my friend Randy. Just tell him what you need and he can do it. You don't need to watch him, he is one of the good ones." It meant alot for Wally {a big star} to tell another hero driver those good things about me. :oops:

So I help Bill change the engine, clutch, and the rear gears. I went to the line with him, and was standing by Beth {wife at the time}. I listened to the car, sounded good, 1/2 track burnout, as it comes back to the line, I told Beth the car doesn't sound right to me. Bill, launches goes down the track and runs a 7.07 at 202 MPH!!! The first time I have see a 200 mph pass, and I helped service the car! I was on cloud 9. :D

I went back to Bill's pit, and he said take the right side, I think is it hurt. I pulled the valvecover off, found some broken rockers and springs. This car had just ran on 7-cylinders and gone 202 mph!! :shock:

Every time I see the clock hit 202 or I see 707 somewhere, it reminds me of that time and that exact run. 8)

Life is good! :D
NITRO PILOT

[url]http://.www.rapidrandy.net[/url]

Billy Mac

Postby Billy Mac » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:10 am

Cool story, Rapid......and a Great Topic starter!!
Long Live Draglist!
Thank You Vets
In God we Trust...(all others pay cash)
Billy Mac Signs-West/Pegasus Race Cars

Rapid Randy Baker

Postby Rapid Randy Baker » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:37 am

Thanks Billy, I am looking forward to reading others stories.

86,,,now that one has some meaning also. I had a Don Ness Camaro. I was racing at Eddyville. The trans blew, locked up, the car spins out, and slid backward and sideways on 2 wheels. It tripped the mph beam and gave me a time slip,,,86 MPH thru the lights!!

You want to know what I was thinking while the crash is going on? I was ahead when it happened. It first fishtailed to the right. I was in the right lane so that was good, as it gave enough time for Livingston to get back around me. Then it swung back around to the left, and went clear around. Now I am sliding sideways down the track, with the back of the car slightly ahead. I am looking over my right shoulder watching the guard rail coming at the car. The car is up on two wheels, lucky it sat so low or it would have flipped by now. The car is slowly swinging around so that the front end it going to be heading the correct direction. I am watching over my shoulder and see that the car is going to ram the guardrail with my side of the car when it comes on around. So as I watch this guardrail coming closer, and the only thing going thru my mind,,,,,,damn it, I am going to have to redo all this Candy Paint!!! :shock:

Well I did hit the guard rail, it smashed in the left qt behind the tire. I was pretty sure it was going to get me right in the door.

Did I mention, while the car was sliding 1/2 on the track and 1/2 off the edge, that it ripped off the brake line so I had no brakes during this little bit of fun and excitement. :roll:

I replaced the trans, brake line, and was able to work the Qt back into place with only minor repainting!!

Long story, but the number 86, does have some meaning also! :wink: :lol:
NITRO PILOT

Gator

Postby Gator » Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:00 am

Great Thread Randy.

West Palm Beach (Moroso)
our First of many
I'll go to my grave with 202.65 in my mind.
( Then of course red lighted the race away...dumb ass me)
www.wallybell.com

jim sanders

Postby jim sanders » Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:00 am

:lol: 118.62 my take home paycheck for 14 weeks during an IRS garnishment........... :shock:

Rapid Randy Baker

Postby Rapid Randy Baker » Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:15 am

197 mph,,,took over a year to make that magic,,,,200 number! Lived with my buddy calling me Mr. Almost 200! :lol:
NITRO PILOT

Gator

Postby Gator » Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:18 am

Gordie Bonin will forever be "240 Gordie"
Cool 8)
www.wallybell.com

draglist
Site Admin

Postby draglist » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:11 pm

Great story, Randy. And it starred three of my favorite people. bp
Bill Pratt
Draglist.com - Crowdsourced drag racing history.
Headlines and Results: http://www.draglist.com/
Drag Lists: http://www.draglist.com/draglist/draglist.php

Billy Mac

Postby Billy Mac » Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:13 pm

86 is also special to me, Randy....Little League Football provided me with that number....and I got Peggy finished and to the track for the first time that year......AND I also got that # for my competition #, with a letter and the division # in front......(I picked the letter myself from a list of available #'s)........hence the P286 :wink:
Long Live Draglist!
Thank You Vets
In God we Trust...(all others pay cash)
Billy Mac Signs-West/Pegasus Race Cars

Rapid Randy Baker

Postby Rapid Randy Baker » Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:25 pm

Thats Cool Billy!! :D
NITRO PILOT

Return to “What's Up”