Bob Glidden /His Own Man

Check in with your pals daily. What's on your mind?
WildcatOne

Postby WildcatOne » Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:18 pm

Good point, Doc. I remember when Bo Nickens made his Pro Stock debut. It was at the Fram Supernationals when David Nickens had the Mopar deal. He pulled up in the Dodge that Scott Geoffrion drove the year before but it was all painted up red with white Mopar stuff all over it, shiny and it looked great. Bob Frey was hypin' it over the PA...here comes Bo Nickens in his first national event, flying the Mopar colors! Bo pulls out of the water smokin' them tires like a Top Fueler and right at the starting line takes a hard left smack into the wall...crunch! Silence...the dang front of that car looked like an accordian...needless to say, Bo was humiliated. He's a great driver, been driving sportsman cars for years. But that Pro Stocker got away from him right when he needed to look cool, ya know. Well, it's better that it happened at the beginning of that run than at the end of it...
Cheers, WC1
PS: I think Glidden's still got game but he'd be better off with his own deal to run. That kind of situation doesn't work best for some folks and I think he's one of them that needs total independence in order for his stuff to work. He did have politics with that gig. No doubt his kids can drive. I remember when he put Steve Schmidt's car into the wall and quit driving Pro Stock immediately after that incident. He'd been out of the seat for a few years and he didn't react in time when the car got out from under him. He said himself that he'd lost his championship-level driving skills by then and he didn't want to crunch up his buddy's car or endanger other drivers just to go out and try to prove he could still race. It took a man to say that, and he stepped up and said it. He went into building those cars full-time after that...
Life Is Good!
http://www.peeweebowenband.com
Support Live Music!

jim sanders

Postby jim sanders » Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:28 pm

I suppose the reality is that the Glidden family, theWarren Johnsons, the R&M TEAM etc. just don't want to dip into their own pockets anymore to compete at this level... Heck i don't blame them....Nothing really to proove to anyone.....Play as long as the money is coming IN and not OUT...

Gator

Postby Gator » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:31 am

Bob (the all time dominator) has always been a pro.
Pros are sponsored.
His stuff was strong always.
It isn't too shabby now.(even with weak drivers)
He is his own man.
If Ford decides to re-enter P/S.......Look out.
I think it's great that Bob (if he has) maintained what some perceive as an ego. (p*ss on what anyone thinks)
We all have egos (I hope).
Like WJ, He's head and shoulders ahead Now & Then. "Then" speaks for itself..........tons of NHRA / IHRA wins.
the big multi class "team" deal didn't work for Bob....
wouldn't work for little old me either. :roll:

BTW/ I watched Bob build Winston Cup qualifying engines that won many poles a few years ago. Cold Turkey Bob figured that deal out.(fact )

AS they say....Best to You BG.
www.wallybell.com

RobbieG.

Postby RobbieG. » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:49 am

Great post gator!!! Well said.
Robbieracer
ThunderHorse Racing

wheelzman

Postby wheelzman » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:54 am

:wink: Have you ever known of anyone that was an innovator, who was always on the top of the sport, who was totally absorbed in what they love to do, or couldn't work in a situation where they couldn't experiment to answer those burning questions in their mind as to "what if"? They are totally focused on what needs to be done. WJ is like that. He doesn't always seem as the likeable type, especially when he losses and has a microphone stuffed in his face. These men are craftsman in their own right. Maybe you don't like one or the other for the way they act but respect them for their accomplishments. Ford or not Bob Glidden is a force to be reckoned with. I only wish I had half of his talent and engineering expertise.

Billy Mac

Postby Billy Mac » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:54 am

AMEN, Wheelz!!!

Thanks for starting this thread, Gator.....BG (Bob, not Billy...but HE ain't too shabby either) has been a Favorite of mine for years!!!
Long Live Draglist!
Thank You Vets
In God we Trust...(all others pay cash)
Billy Mac Signs-West/Pegasus Race Cars

Gator

Postby Gator » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:18 am

:wink: Have you ever known of anyone that was an innovator, who was always on the top of the sport, who was totally absorbed in what they love to do, or couldn't work in a situation where they couldn't experiment to answer those burning questions in their mind as to "what if"? They are totally focused on what needs to be done. WJ is like that. He doesn't always seem as the like able type, especially when he losses and has a microphone stuffed in his face. These men are craftsman in their own right. Maybe you don't like one or the other for the way they act but respect them for their accomplishments. Ford or not Bob Glidden is a force to be reckoned with. I only wish I had half of his talent and engineering expertise.
Bob's accomplishments are incredible. ( Way incredible ) ( that's enough for me ) I don't want to sleep with He or WJ......just watch and smile.
He and a select few stand head and shoulders over everyone else.
being a "nice guy" always is friggin' tough.
When the light is green , the true Super Performers are nice guys.
Like a well known engine builder once quipped to me.."want a friend ? buy a dog"
When you're on stage under pressure you get in a zone.
www.wallybell.com

Return to “What's Up”