LQQK OUT ~~~~!!!!

Check in with your pals daily. What's on your mind?
pro70z28
LQQK OUT ~~~~!!!!

Postby pro70z28 » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:01 pm

Anybody have any "Close Call" stories???

I had one today. Had to go north today (In the general direction of the center of the universe) to the Mack Dealer to letter a truck. On the way (I-55) I come up on a vehicle setting on the right side shoulder. In front of me is a VW. I'm watching the parked vehicle just in case they pull out (I'm in the right lane). Not too far behind me is a semi in the right lane and a pick-up beside him in the left lane. To my surprise I realize the VW is barely moving (Like 5MPH). :twisted: :twisted: No flashers, no signals, no brake lights. I swerve to the left lane and pass the nearly stopped VW. I honked my horn as I went by, hoping to wake 'em up because he/she is in the path of 2 lanes of traffic RIGHT BEHIND ME. :oops: :idea: I look in the rear view mirror and think there is NO WAY this will turn out good. the semi can't go left - there is a pick-up there. The semi can't go right there's a vehicle parked on the shoulder. :oops: Well apparently the VW made enough forward progress - the semi veered right and managed to squeeze between the parked vehicle and the VW. Some fast thinking/driving by the truck driver for sure.
I continued on and did the lettering job. About 1/2 later I headed back home. Well, the VW was still there. Parked on the left shoulder, door open and 2 cars parked behind it. One looked like an unmarked squad. I didn't see any damage. Didn't see any body there? Lot of unanswered questions. :?: :?: :?:
15th Annual DRAGLIST Nationals Sometime in 2020. Somewhere in the USA.

jim sanders

Postby jim sanders » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:19 pm

:shock: that could have been bad !! semi and vw .... On 2 seperate trips to INDY i have had cars coming at me the wrong way on I-70 in the wee hours in Illinois.... 50 50 chance on which way to swerve.. so far so good.

WildcatOne

Postby WildcatOne » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:39 pm

Last edited by WildcatOne on Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
Life Is Good!
http://www.peeweebowenband.com
Support Live Music!

Bob Kraemer

Postby Bob Kraemer » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:48 pm

My Gaurdian Angel

About 25 years ago I was aproching a 4 way intersection. About 2 to 3 hundred feet before I would get to the intersection a thought just randomely popped into my head. What if somebody runs the red light?
So I approached the intersection with a little more caution than normal.
Sure as sh*t somebody ran that red light.
I had to pull off the road and think about that one a little while.

The Good Lord must have plans for me, I just haven't figured out what they are yet. But I sure wish they would include a little better luck than what I have been having here as of late.
Bob Kraemer

Certifiable Insanity

"Friends are quiet angels that lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.''

pro70z28

Postby pro70z28 » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:08 pm

Cool Story WC. Kinda' gets the ol' heart pumpin' UH???

pro70z28

Postby pro70z28 » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:21 pm

Good thing you listened to that little voice Bob.

Back in the 70's (the '66 GTO) I was flyin' down a country black top when a kid on a moped pulled out in front of me. Bein' the kid i was I didn't slow down a whole lot. I just pulled over in the other lane to pass him. Well, as it turns out this farm place had 2 lanes about 100 or so ft. apart, and the kid pulled in front of me AGAIN as he slowly turned for the second lane. :twisted: That's when I locked 'em up. Somehow we managed to miss each other. I don't think the kid even knew I was behind him until he heard the combination of my tires and his mother screamin' at him form the front porch. Those black marks stayed there for a LOOOONg time. I've since, over the years, had 2 other very close calls with kids on bikes that thank God have also turned out O.K. But all 3 were so close to impact, I have no idea how we missed each other.

RobbieG.

Postby RobbieG. » Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:56 am

I have been close a few times, but nothing like y'all. WOW
Robbieracer
ThunderHorse Racing

jim sanders

Postby jim sanders » Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:44 pm

:shock: One night after band practice on the way home i was crusin down what we call the inner-belt... in the trusty rusty suburban . just a tad under the speed limit, seat belts buckled doing everything right... i signaled and merged right because my exit was coming up soon, i reached down to switch practice cassette tape and when i looked up there was a dead in the lane vacant buick just sitting there like WC described.. i jerked the wheel left and missed it by inches..... i was shaking all the way to my driveway.

wheelzman

Postby wheelzman » Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:32 pm

Fresh out of high school driving tandem axle dump truck. Hauling sand way over the limit on a narrow road in town. Everything is normal until little old man stops dead in front of me at a "green" light to make a left hand turn into a store. WHOA, jump on the binders but I may as well have put my foot out the door and dragged my shoe as this puppy is not going to stop on a dime with this load pushing me. Quick glance in the right side west coast mirror, see a semi about six feet behind me in the right lane, yank the wheel to the right like Mario Andretti, old dump truck rocks back and forth with several tons of sand shifting too and fro, I get the truck stopped about a block down the road. "WHEW"! Get to the dump site, get out of truck, start shaking from head to toe, couldn't even light a cigarette, have to go to bathroom real bad. Someone was riding with this unprepared teenager that he knew nothing about at that time. Thanks Lord.

Maritime Drag Racing

Postby Maritime Drag Racing » Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:01 pm

A couple of years ago I was driving up our street behind a line of cars. Up ahead I saw a bus pull over to the curb and stop. The four cars in front of me zoomed around the bus and just as I was halfway alongside the bus I saw a flash of colour under the bottom edge of the bus's front bumper. I hit the brakes hard and managed to stop just as a little kid ran out in front of the bus, stopped and laid his hands on the front edge of my hood. A cop coming the other way flicked on his lights, turned his cruiser sideways and jumped out. He asked me how I was able to stop so quick and I told him about the movement I saw under the front bumper and in front of the wheel on the bus. To this day I still look in that location whenever I pass one of those city buses. Worst part of it all? the little s**t ran away without even a "thanks for not killing me"

Return to “What's Up”