"Nostalgia" Funny cars, Same Path as ProMod?

Check in with your pals daily. What's on your mind?
jim sanders

Postby jim sanders » Sat May 20, 2006 2:07 pm

real paint , airbrush work and hand lettering.. a cool car name on the sides of a reconizable body.... good to go... 8)

WildcatOne

Postby WildcatOne » Sat May 20, 2006 5:12 pm

Great picture of Virgil and the car, Jer! I agree about the paint scheme, too, 'Gate. Simple is good. I will check out the link to the rest of those photos...thanks for posting.
Cheers, WC1
Life Is Good!
http://www.peeweebowenband.com
Support Live Music!

CH3NO2

Postby CH3NO2 » Sun May 21, 2006 9:16 am

That picture exemplifies the "good" look about the nostalgia deal
no tongues&crap just a cool body people identify with.

I realize Gator was referring to Virgil's car. My statement about Scelzi's tongue and obnoxious paint.

Solid Rock

Postby Solid Rock » Sun May 21, 2006 9:24 am

Gee, It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who doesn't care for those kinds of paint jobs. As far as I'm concerned, they can put those graphics back in Mad magazine.

Being one who has always raced with limited funds, I never had the money for things like that. Even if I did, I still prefer the simpler paint schemes.

Virgil's car is awesome, as are many others in the nostalgia ranks.

draglist
Site Admin

Postby draglist » Sun May 21, 2006 12:40 pm

I totally agree with you guys. The new outrageous Pro Mod inspired paint jobs never did anything for me. Never liked the mad scientist, never liked the fake metallic 'tank' type paint, never liked the camo stuff, etc. Give me the 72-77 funny car era for great looking paint schemes that went with the shape of the car and looked awesome. Of course, now that there are no discernible body lines to follow, I guess guys aren't restricted by such outdated notions. bp
Bill Pratt
Draglist.com - Crowdsourced drag racing history.
Headlines and Results: http://www.draglist.com/
Drag Lists: http://www.draglist.com/draglist/draglist.php

jim sanders

Postby jim sanders » Sun May 21, 2006 4:26 pm

8) great post Bill.... yea i think when the sponsor logo's started getting larger than the car/driver's name it snowballed from there.. but hey MONEY IS MONEY and i guess that is what drives the sport. Iremember uncle Curt and the next door body/paint shop talking about painting a car BUD red and pulling up in front of the A-B headquarters in downtown St.Louis to try and get some cash :roll: that was before Kenny B. and his resturant chain actually pulled off the deal.. good for Kenny.. ya think :?: :D yep we (Uncle Curt ) would have been a sponsor whore if it was available to put the good parts in the program so.... Ican't say what might have been ? ..... great event going on in Columbus 8)

Return to “What's Up”