FAVORITE GASSER BODY STYLE

Check in with your pals daily. What's on your mind?
B Duke
FAVORITE GASSER BODY STYLE

Postby B Duke » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:25 pm

I am restricting to those who fall within the classic style, IE Anglia's, Willys, etc... That said, I would nominate for me, the Thames Panel trucks. Cant say why, but the sight of a little, dimunitive ill handling panel truck hauling ass down the track is cool. Like elsewhere in the country, So-Cal had its share. However, my local favorite was the bright fire engine red hued model of Troxel and Sons, dubbed "Radiation." BB Chevy w/canted Hillborns ala 66 Bruce Larson Chevelle gave it a cool look. I was also fond of Henry J's, but the English panel trucks were it for me

jim sanders

Postby jim sanders » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:59 pm

I recall this car from the magazines of the day.... other than uncle Curt's 62 vette i seemed to like this car for some reason 8)
http://www.draglist.com/Pictures/POD-Oc ... 100902.htm
GOOD TO GO !!
Uncle Curt Wasson album
[url=http://www.glowfoto.com/users2/gatorgumbo][img]http://www.glowfoto.com/siteimages/linktogallery.gif[/img][/url]

pro70z28

Postby pro70z28 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:27 am

33 willys
40 willys
15th Annual DRAGLIST Nationals Sometime in 2020. Somewhere in the USA.

Big Erik

Postby Big Erik » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:35 am

kinda partial to these.but K.S. Pittman's last 33 was badass!!.........

I'm everything they say i am......I'm so bad......Baby i don't care!!!

B Duke

Postby B Duke » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:02 am

Oh, I loved the 55-57's too. In fact, I loved the gassers in all their various guises. There were even a few cool looking 62-63 Falcons. The rarest of breeds were the 33 Willy's Vans. Here in the left coast, there was but one example. It was called Von Ryan's Express, named after the war movie. Neil Stein had a nice blown gas 55 that ran the BB/GS circuit. It looked a lot like Butch Thunney's orange and white C/Gasser depicted here, except it had the blown 327 seated stuffed right in the middle of the firewall. Pilot Stein's donning of a full fire suit, breather mask etc..and tinted windows leant for a cool look. Any more.....How about Henry J's? one that comes to that come to mind was the Soul to The Bone, powered by off all things, a 428 Cobra Jet!

draglist
Site Admin

Postby draglist » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:32 am

I also love the 55s with the collector headers dumping behind the front wheels, slot of course, way high up in the air with a straight front axle... bp
Bill Pratt
Draglist.com - Crowdsourced drag racing history.
Headlines and Results: http://www.draglist.com/
Drag Lists: http://www.draglist.com/draglist/draglist.php

Big Erik

Postby Big Erik » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:18 pm

yep I love most of them too lotsa neat and different cars......Butch still has his 55.....in as run form been sitting in his garage since he built a funnycar..........also a buddy of mine Rocky Pirrone is building a replica of the Pittman 33 I just posted the pic of and so far it is dead nuts on!!........here's a couple more cool ones........ERIK

I'm everything they say i am......I'm so bad......Baby i don't care!!!

jed5161

Postby jed5161 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:43 pm

ditto 55 chevy. Especially the 55 chevy on the old TWO LANE BLACKTOP movie.
Jared Micetich
Top Dragster 5161

www.myspace.com/jed5161

racersforcoffee

Postby racersforcoffee » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:05 pm

I vote for the "J". It was cool on it's own..but somehow seemed to absorb all permutations and remain 'Ice Cold' for everything. Bracket bashers or class dashers all brought time to a halt when running down any west coast track...and I hope to see them in NE meets for many more years....

Erik, I stay in touch with KS's nephew-I'll pass on your props....... 8)
The Free Market Of Ideas Works Both Ways

www.racersforcoffee.wordpress.com

B Duke

Postby B Duke » Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:05 am

What made the cars so cool, besides thier appearance was the antics that ensued as they launched from the line. I good portion of the Lions ads were comprised of scenes depicting various ill handling gassers launching of the line, front end up, wheels canted. And as for the Henry J, I was advised that the cars were actaully quite well adapted for the class in that besides being light, they had a stock engine location to where even when adhering to the 10% engine set back rule, you almost had the engine in your lap, thus making for good weight transer.

Return to “What's Up”