Moral Dilema? You decide.

Check in with your pals daily. What's on your mind?
Doug
Moral Dilema? You decide.

Postby Doug » Thu May 18, 2006 9:24 pm

Let say you have a grocery getter that you are putting together and plan to get in a little bracket racing with it.

Since your car is not ready to hit the track yet, you go to the local strip with your kid to spectate maybe every other weekend. You start meeting people and people start to recognize you as a regular.

Now lets say the gates open at noon but eliminations don't start till about 4:00.

Every week you go, you get there around 1:00 and every week you notic a guy in a prime pit spot (hence, you know he gets there early) and everytime you walk past his trailer e has a beer in his hand.

Lets say that in the back of your mind you know this is a blatant violation of track AND IHRA rules but you are new here and he is not. You also know that this can be a serious safety hazard to not only this guy but the guy in the next lane and everyone in the path of his dually on his way home at night.

You know in yor heart that it is wrong, it is dangerous and it is setting an extremely poor example for Jr. racers and young spectators but it seems to go un-noticed by his buds and the track officials.

Now, you are not some Johny do-gooder and have been known partake in a few nice frosties after the fact.

Do you say somehing and risk being the track outcast?
Do you write an anonymous letter and drop it in the snail mail to the track operators.

What would you do?

Billy Mac

Postby Billy Mac » Thu May 18, 2006 9:31 pm

Take the Snail Mail anonymoose route, Doug.....you don't wanna tick nobody off but you also have a ......oh what's the word I'm serchin' for....a Duty...(yeah...that's it) a Duty to bring this situation to the attention of, not only track personel.....but to IHRA headquarters as well....They, (IHRA) will make sure things get straightened out.....

Sadly, yours is NOT the only incident of that type behavior :?
Long Live Draglist!
Thank You Vets
In God we Trust...(all others pay cash)
Billy Mac Signs-West/Pegasus Race Cars

jim sanders

Postby jim sanders » Thu May 18, 2006 9:36 pm

:D Doug i see this every saturday at our track... everyone here knows that i drink alot of beer daily... but when it is raceday with our deal it is bottled water untill we are done for the day/night.... but i know many racers that have a beer or roll up a number and get into a car and race.many of them have been doing it for years that i am aware of..we all know who they are and so does the track manegement.... part of the business i guess... kinda like steriods in major league baseball i guess......

purple66bu

Postby purple66bu » Thu May 18, 2006 9:37 pm

In my early days of racing i seen this out of a certain individual..well bein the 'kid' and no saint myself i just didnt say anything..Well one day after the races he goes to load up and drives over his trailer onto the trunk of his new Buick 225 (yep thats when we towed with cars).Just glad no one got hurt but i guess in a way i should have made it known to the right people..
www.midwestsuperstockmafia.org

Doug

Postby Doug » Thu May 18, 2006 9:44 pm

There are other folks there that are like me... Just small potatoes in a really big stew. They bring their kids out... There are the Jr. Dragster kids all over... golf carts, 4 wheelers and pit bikes everywhere.

Most important to me... My car...My KID!!

Like I said.. I can part just as good as the next guy bt there is a time and a place.

This really bugs me but I am wondering if i am just blowing it out of proportion?

I don't know if he gets wrecked but I do know that it seems like everytime I walk by his trailer, he has a beer.

Beyond the safety aspect, you're not even supposed to have glass bottles in the pits.
i know that i will not be a happy fella if were to pick up a chunk of busted bottle in my M/T's... Know what I mean.

Billy Mac

Postby Billy Mac » Thu May 18, 2006 9:47 pm

know ZACTly whatcha mean :x :x .....(picked up a sheetmetal screw in the right rear once......GRRRRRRRRRR...cost me a day of racin' cause I only got ONE time trial :x :x !!!!!)
Long Live Draglist!
Thank You Vets

Doug

Postby Doug » Thu May 18, 2006 9:50 pm

know ZACTly whatcha mean :x :x .....(picked up a sheetmetal screw in the right rear once......GRRRRRRRRRR...cost me a day of racin' cause I only got ONE time trial :x :x !!!!!)
Yeah and lets face it... New tires are not cheap.

I hate to be a rat.. Ya know?

pro70z28

Postby pro70z28 » Thu May 18, 2006 10:07 pm

I think the rules otta' be followed. What he does after the races is his own business. But, the rules are there for a reason. Racin' (and drivin' in general) is dangerous enough without addin' alcohol to the mix.
15th Annual DRAGLIST Nationals Sometime in 2020. Somewhere in the USA.

Billy Mac

Postby Billy Mac » Thu May 18, 2006 10:13 pm

I wonder what AJ would do if'n He saw such shenanigans goin' on....(ok...so I KNOW what AJ would do...He'd toss the guy out of the track on his ear!!!)
Long Live Draglist!
Thank You Vets

wheelzman

Postby wheelzman » Thu May 18, 2006 10:30 pm

Amen Pro. Doug just think how you would feel if you didn't say something and he seriously hurt someone or killed someone because of his inconsiderate actions? None of us like to rock the boat and to keep quiet is easier than to rock the boat. I have had a similar situation where I didn't do what I knew I should do and then I lost the opportunity to correct it. Still bothers me to this day. Go with what your heart and conscience tells you is right and don't worry about what others say. Be true to yourself.

Return to “What's Up”