Trailer Generators

Check in with your pals daily. What's on your mind?
Doug

Postby Doug » Thu May 25, 2006 9:55 pm

Doug, on my house air conditioner, it would trip the breaker once in awhile, it's getting old like me I guess, anyway, they put a hard start kit on it, looked like a capacitor to me,...no more problem, could ya do that on an air comp motor?
Sure could Lippy but t's a little bit of a different problem.
See your drawing a little too much current so he wired up a cacitor in parallel on the line side of your motor. You have more than enough power (watts) to run your motor and everything else in your home. If you have a 200 amp service you have 48000 watts available.

Mike's generator only has 4400. He is just lacking enoug power to start the motor wile it's pump is under such a heavy load.

What your capacitor is ding is storing potential unill such time that it is demanded. Thereby decreasing the load drawn (current) from your panel.

Honestly, if your home is old, it may not be the a/c, could be the breaker. It's easy to check with a peak/hold clamp on meter.

Just my 2 cents.
[img]http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h163/dougp1972/Chevy_anim.gif[/img]

Lippy

Postby Lippy » Thu May 25, 2006 10:13 pm

Doug, the electrician told me, after he replaced the breakers, that the a/c compressor was old and weak, and was drawing too much at startup, so the capacitor stored up juice for startup, it was fine after it started, but it's been fine ever since. I just thought a start capacitor may jump up the available start current to start the compressor mtr. :?: I don't know? :D Seems like the unloader should let it start?
If you think it's exciting now, wait till we start it.

Doug

Postby Doug » Thu May 25, 2006 10:29 pm

Doug, the electrician told me, after he replaced the breakers, that the a/c compressor was old and weak, and was drawing too much at startup, so the capacitor stored up juice for startup, it was fine after it started, but it's been fine ever since. I just thought a start capacitor may jump up the available start current to start the compressor mtr. :?: I don't know? :D Seems like the unloader should let it start?
I understand where you are coming from Lippy and I would agree with you if the compressor was sarting and then over loading the circuit and blowing the breaker on the generator. That, however, is not the case.

Let me explain it this way....

Lets say in your house you have a 110vac circuit coming off a 10 amp breaker. That circuit has 1200 watts of available power..

Now lets say on that circuit, 15 100 watt lights (I would not reccomend this). If you have 10 of those lights on, they shine nice and bright... Now you turn on 12 and notice that they all get a little dimmer, 13 and dimmer yet but they are still on... Etc... etc..

That is what he is experiencing, he does not need more current.. is motor is just bogging down because there is a large load on it and "his lights are getting dim"

Hows that?

Doug

Postby Doug » Thu May 25, 2006 10:31 pm

I'm going to bed now to dream about hemis and hudsons... You made my brain hurt Lippy. :shock:

:lol: :lol:

Lippy

Postby Lippy » Fri May 26, 2006 12:28 am

Sweet dreams our little electrician. :lol: :lol: (he's dreaming of sugarplum fairies with air blowers cleaning out a race car trailer)........UUUUUHHHMMM., does'nt he look cute cuddled up there with his little voltmeter? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Barb

Postby Barb » Fri May 26, 2006 1:07 am

Lippy, is someone crossing your wires? Image

Doug

Postby Doug » Fri May 26, 2006 10:02 am

Sweet dreams our little electrician. :lol: :lol: (he's dreaming of sugarplum fairies with air blowers cleaning out a race car trailer)........UUUUUHHHMMM., does'nt he look cute cuddled up there with his little voltmeter? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

wheelzman

Postby wheelzman » Fri May 26, 2006 2:24 pm

Lippy, is someone crossing your wires?
:shock: :shock: :P :P :P :P :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gator

Postby Gator » Fri May 26, 2006 3:35 pm

If all else fails...a 8 to 9 thou onan or honda generator....( hate to spend money,but it takes a lot to run everything......
my 9000 honda water cooled rv's (one in the Kodiak,one in the trailer ) ,in the trailer worked great...Quiet too.
www.wallybell.com

Lippy

Postby Lippy » Sat May 27, 2006 1:01 am

I agree Gator, gotta have the power or all is Kaput. : :shock:

Return to “What's Up”