Photos of Jon Giardina's Dumbo Injected Funny Car...1967-69

Check in with your pals daily. What's on your mind?
Al Meadows
Photos of Jon Giardina's Dumbo Injected Funny Car...1967-69

Postby Al Meadows » Tue May 26, 2009 10:22 pm

My name is Al Meadows...I grew up in Southern California from 1958 , and moved to Northern California in 1976. I have been here since. I used to hang out at Hyder's Garage in Artesia, lettering race cars as the old man would call me in to do. I spent time working on fuel dragsters , fuel altereds, funny cars and gas supercharged cars. My oldest brother Dave was crewing for Steve Korney's "Goldfinger' Anglia in 1968...and I was crew chief for Jon Giardina's Dumbo injected funny car. It was formerly Charlie Allen's 'Atlantic Dodge Flyer'...a 1965 Dodge Coronet 2 door post. This car was sponsored by Don Munroe's Bellflower Automotive. Jon had many cars after this...The Ramchargers' '68 Dodge Dart Funny car...Owens'( and somebody's ) '68 Camaro , then he had Kenny Cox build him a brand new, state of the art Challenger bodied funny car, which , sadly, took his life down at El Centro , near the Mexican border in 1972. I worked on Big Bob Weidlein's funny cars ( Weidlein and Brandford) and a whole lot of cars until I was asked to serve with the 1st Aviation Brigade in Viet Nam from 1970 thru 1971...then off to Germany until April of 1972. When I came home, I made contact with Mike Underwood, and he told me that Jon had died. I lost all contact with Jon, his wife, Don Munroe, Bob Orbach...anybody who was a part of this team. My youngest brother Mike spent some time with the operation while I was away in 'Nam...and I was able to take one photo of the Challenger at Kenny's shop one night before I left for Germany. That photo has long been misssing. Is there anyone out there who can supply me with photos or information? I would deeply appreciate any help in this...thank you, sincerely. :arrow:

draglist
Site Admin

Postby draglist » Wed May 27, 2009 12:17 am

Hi Al. Welcome to the board. Good luck finding info. Bill Duke might be able to help and some others up here, too. bp
Bill Pratt
Draglist.com - Crowdsourced drag racing history.
Headlines and Results: http://www.draglist.com/
Drag Lists: http://www.draglist.com/draglist/draglist.php

B Duke

Postby B Duke » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:57 am

I remember the car well, including the 71 Cuda. But alas, I am without any photos of it.

Grabber1

Postby Grabber1 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:21 pm

At my age getting lucky means finding my car in the parking lot!

B Duke

Postby B Duke » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:06 pm

Corvair in the far lane belongs to the Henderson Bros. It was the former Pisano car I think.

Return to “What's Up”