"The" F/C Meet of 67

Check in with your pals daily. What's on your mind?
Billy Mac

Postby Billy Mac » Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:03 pm

Absofreakinglutely FABULOUS story tellin' ability you have there, Lions....Keep 'em coming....PLEASE!!!!! 8) 8) 8)
Long Live Draglist!
Thank You Vets
In God we Trust...(all others pay cash)
Billy Mac Signs-West/Pegasus Race Cars

draglist
Site Admin

Postby draglist » Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:27 am

Here's a great response to Lion's story from James Ibusuki, the great drag racing artist and historian... bp

Bill,

That was a great first hand account of the initial Mfg. Meet. Being only 12 at the time I missed it but upon reading the magazine coverage we made sure to attend the second annual and experience echoed the author of the '67 race. We had to endure fogouts and rainouts but the multiple trips were worth it (er, dunno if the elders who drove us felt that way *LOL*). Those first 2 years were so special because they featured Pontiac and Mercury teams. By '69 they were dropped as the teams were simplified down to only 4 (but w/ members going up from 5 to 8 per team). Body styles and chassis design were much more varied in the first years too. As far as I'm concerned the author did not have to add the "non national event" qualifier. Those were the greatest FC races period!!

Thanks, James
Bill Pratt
Draglist.com - Crowdsourced drag racing history.
Headlines and Results: http://www.draglist.com/
Drag Lists: http://www.draglist.com/draglist/draglist.php

WildcatOne

Postby WildcatOne » Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:00 pm

It is rare when a guy comes along like Lion who can tell stories like these and without photos to go with it, paint as clear of an image with words in your mind that completely fulfills the story. That is a special gift. We got a lot of pictures of these cars on this site, but in reading what Lion writes, ya don't need 'em. You can see 'em. Thanks for joining Draglist, Lion. We definitely need a guy like you here; These recollections you've put up on the board are such a part of our history and are so hard-wired into our own memories, they have brought those days back to life for us again, and I for one couldn't be more delighted to enjoy reading them. Sure glad to see BP puttin' 'em on the front page...they are great scenes from the days of lore...and in every one of them, I'm standing right there next to you and your Dad. Thanks for taking me along! Cheers, WC1
Life Is Good!
http://www.peeweebowenband.com
Support Live Music!

Lionsdsisbest

Postby Lionsdsisbest » Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:52 pm

You all are very welcome and thank you for the nice words,I have a load of things to tell that I saw in the 60s and 70s. More to come.

Return to “What's Up”