NHRA's big problem

Check in with your pals daily. What's on your mind?
Solid Rock

Postby Solid Rock » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:07 pm

I really don't think what Force did was that big of a deal.
After the countdown, the goofy qualifying and now changing the points structure during the season NHRA is doing much worse than Force did in screwing things up.
If you were in Force's position would you risked losing that kind of money by running all out?

Postby 1320 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:42 pm

With all do respect to all involved in this conversation, splitting a win or what ever you call it at a local event and all past dives, falls, or what ever it may have been in the past by whoever, big name racer or obscure local hero, does not and did not have the negative impact on the sport as the recent JFR dive has had. Today's media coverage brings it home like no other.

And if some of you folks wouldn't sound so condescending, it would make you come across a bit more friendly to new comers to this forum. Just because someone is new to this forum, certainly doesn't mean him or her is new to drag racing, now does it?

And just because someone doesn't like what's happening or does not like the way the rules are and speaks out in a negative way in general or specifically about drag racing, doesn't make one less of a loyal fan than anyone else. It's just his or her opinion, no matter dumb or smart it might make one look or sound.
Hi all. I don't post much on here, but I do read the posts and know many of the people on this site, whom I consider to be like family. Overdriv, I personally do not think that anyone here is being condescending to you or anyone else. I see a lively discussion with varying opinions on a very touchy subject at the moment amongst a group of very PASSIONATE people, of which you are one. No one is trying to change your mind or make your opinion be any less important than you feel it is or should be. I wish you wouldn't take it so personally. I love this site because no matter what, people are allowed to voice their opinions and concerns. Not everyone agrees all the time, and it's okay to agree to disagree and remain friends. Please don't make it a personal thing, because I don't believe it is. This site welcomes everyone, and I would hope that you don't let this run you off. There is a great group of people here. Please stick around and let us prove that to you. Just my opinion

WCB

Postby WCB » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:24 pm

With all do respect to all involved in this conversation, splitting a win or what ever you call it at a local event and all past dives, falls, or what ever it may have been in the past by whoever, big name racer or obscure local hero, does not and did not have the negative impact on the sport as the recent JFR dive has had. Today's media coverage brings it home like no other.

And if some of you folks wouldn't sound so condescending, it would make you come across a bit more friendly to new comers to this forum. Just because someone is new to this forum, certainly doesn't mean him or her is new to drag racing, now does it?

And just because someone doesn't like what's happening or does not like the way the rules are and speaks out in a negative way in general or specifically about drag racing, doesn't make one less of a loyal fan than anyone else. It's just his or her opinion, no matter dumb or smart it might make one look or sound.
I certainly meant no disrespect to you and hope you continue here....

I agree with your view of today's media..***just a few minutes ago on ESPN Sport Center..Force..(Good news is: Drag Racing getting Huge Ink)

( By the way...much to some opponents surprise..I Never split 1st & 2nd place money), many do..that's their deal..Me? , old fashioned.....

Again, good points by you regarding these issues.

As as been pointed out, this forum is very civil compared to others..some are rdiculous......(loaded with non racer/keyboard wizards who run their mouths just to stir up crap)
www.wallybell.com

draglist
Site Admin

Postby draglist » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:47 pm

Thanks, all. Overdriv, disagreement doesn't mean dissing... You are welcome to share your opinion, which you did, and anyone is welcome to agree or disagree. The only thing we insist on here is no personal attacks. We came a tiny bit close here, but didn't cross the line, which is great. Keep on posting. bp
Bill Pratt
Draglist.com - Crowdsourced drag racing history.
Headlines and Results: http://www.draglist.com/
Drag Lists: http://www.draglist.com/draglist/draglist.php

overdriv

Postby overdriv » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:01 pm

Things seem different when you put them in perspective! Since I compared taking a dive to splitting a round, no one seems inclined to offer a differing opinion!!! I've watched all week for someone to come back at me over that one but it hasn't happened. Think before you argue, it might make you seem smarter. Becky White...STILL drag racing's most dedicated fan!
I'm sure you are all fine folks and share the love of the sport of drag racing as I. But, to me, with all do respect, the above quote came a bit close to being personal and sounding condescending.

But hey, no harm no foul. Everyone has their own sense of fair play, and some have expressed it in this discussion. I'm just a bit perplexed that so many on this forum think cheating or breaking the rules somehow is ok.

It would take more than this lively discussion to run me off.
God Bless Our Troops!

RH

Postby RH » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:14 pm

It would take more than this lively discussion to run me off.
:D :D :D
"I get pushed outa' shape and it's hard to steer, when I get rubber in all four gears"

draglist
Site Admin

Postby draglist » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:28 pm

With all due respect, if you think what John Force did Monday was ok, then you are living under a different set of values and sense of fair play than I. And I know I'm not holier than thou or anyone else, but I know right from wrong.
Glad that the discussion didn't run you off. And I'm sure you and others will be glad that simply being told I have lesser values or a sense of fair play doesn't cause me to pop folks off the board.

So now that we are all even, let's see what we have to offer on ANOTHER thread... There is so much more out there than NHRA 2009 or John Force. Let's chat it up... bp
Bill Pratt

WCB

Postby WCB » Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:56 am

I reccomend highly to all..view ESPN Sports Center Interview with John Force
Go to ESPN Sports Center..search John Force 9/17 interview.
He does a fantastic job..(in my opinion)

John is in my top 3 Greatest "Racers" in my *lifetime..Period !

* many years.....

For all who hate the "business" side of our sport..we've done it to ourselves..technology ain't cheap..........

Yesterday was great..Today is Awesome !

Please watch Force's interview..Good Stuff
www.wallybell.com

draglist
Site Admin

Postby draglist » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:45 am

It got NHRA more notice than any season's worth of events... crazy.

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/racing/nh ... id=4484582

I agree with you, Wally. Great interview... and maybe the start of more attention for the sport. bp
Bill Pratt

overdriv

Postby overdriv » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:03 pm

He hit it right, everyone was focusing on the dive he took and the trouble it caused and hardly anyone payed any attention to Ashley's win.

Media and people, fans or not will always seem to focus on the negative.

After watching the interview, I didn't come away thinking John Force cleared anything up. He didn't apologize to the fans in public, says he did to Tony. But in the end, the John Force we are seeing today is quite a bit different than the John force of the 80's 90's.

I've got a closet full of John Force tee shirts, caps, die casts, etc. There was never a bigger fan than I. I cheered for JF and Coil before he was a winner. But when he went to the multi...........never mind, we've been over this. Sorry.

The interview did nothing to change my mind. Drag Racing will survive in spite of NHRA, I hope.
God Bless Our Troops!

Return to “What's Up”