Bruton Smith's dog & pony show...just what I thought!

Check in with your pals daily. What's on your mind?
racersforcoffee
Re: Bruton Smith's dog & pony show...just what I thought!

Postby racersforcoffee » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:55 am

Welcome, John. Interacting with the legends here will remove that 'casual' status in short order... 8)
The Free Market Of Ideas Works Both Ways

www.racersforcoffee.wordpress.com

Andamo

Postby Andamo » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:33 am

And now I read Bruton is considering making Las Vegas 4 wide too. Can't have you west coasters not have a dog & pony show in your own backyard can we ? What's a next, a loop-de-loop at the 1/8th mile mark ?
Be kind to whomever you meet, because everyones fighting some kind of battle.

WCB

Postby WCB » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:52 am

And now I read Bruton is considering making Las Vegas 4 wide too. Can't have you west coasters not have a dog & pony show in your own backyard can we ? What's a next, a loop-de-loop at the 1/8th mile mark ?

8)
www.wallybell.com

Billy Mac

Postby Billy Mac » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:27 am

hmmm....worked for my Hot Wheels tracks back in the day... :roll: :shock:
Long Live Draglist!
Thank You Vets
In God we Trust...(all others pay cash)
Billy Mac Signs-West/Pegasus Race Cars

RH

Postby RH » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:13 am

The Nitro Circus has arrived in town :roll:

Ron
"I get pushed outa' shape and it's hard to steer, when I get rubber in all four gears"

Mr. Jean

Postby Mr. Jean » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:18 am

Hi John. Image Welcome. 8)
Jean Muntifering
#7897 Comp.
Old Comp Racer

Diana The Doc

Postby Diana The Doc » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:43 am

I get it, so now, when parents spend their hard earned cash to buy tickets to take their kids to an "old fashioned" and "inferior" drag racing event, you know, the "boring" kind, with "only" two lanes, the kids are going to be kicking, screaming, protesting and crying, saying, "I WANNA GO HOME, THIS IS BOOORING, THERE'S ONLY TWO CAR RACING, I WANNA SEE FOUR CARS, I WANNA SEE FOUR CARS LIKE I SAW ON TV!!"... I know some of you think I might be exaggerating, but from what I've seen after working at drag strips for a number of years, sitting inside the Drag Racing Underground tent, I've seen it all, and I assure you that kids can get pretty d*rn temperamental at the drags when they feel they're getting shortchanged, like when going to the concession stand, if you get 'em an ice cream cone with "only" two scoops, when they wanted four, there's going to be h*ck to pay-- I know, I know, not ALL kids are like that, but many of them are... If this "four lane" thing takes off and receives lots of exposure, it is going to cause problems for drag strips that don't have the space or budget to extend their facility to four lanes... Look, I'm not trying to be a "wet blanket" on this issue, I'm really not, and yes, I admit that I'd like to hear what it sounds like when four nitro burning monsters simultaneously shred rubber down the track, I'd be lying if I denied that I would like to "experience" that in my lifetime, I guess it's kind of like hearing Jimi Hendrix play out of four big Marshall cabinets instead of just one, however, if this gets on TV and becomes the kind of thing that gets played over and over, you're going to see the younger generations start snubbing their noses at the two lane format... "The Doc" (Celebrity Drag Racing Authority & Visionary)...
THE MOST READ FEMALE BLOGGER ON THE DRAG RACING INTERNET. THANKS TO YOU. I LOVE Y'ALL FOR THAT!

Billy Mac

Postby Billy Mac » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:22 am

To a certain degree, I understand what you are saying, Diana.....but that is when the parent must put their foot down and inform Junior and Junette that they'll leave when DADDY gets ready to leave...(or in some cases Mommy).

Case in point, the 2001 Div 2 race at Gainesville....I, not uncommonly, went out in the first round and my 9 yr old son Jordan was ready to load up and leave. My nextdoor pit neighbor and friend, Jaymee Crum, won first round. I informed Jordan that when Jaymee got eliminated we'd leave. Jaymee kept going rounds. It got to be quite a feat to get him back in the pits, refill his methanol tank and back to the lanes....Jordan was hoping that Jaymee would lose, (but thankfully never allowed Jaymee to hear any of that)....Low and behold, Jaymee WON Super Gas that Sunday evening and Jordan and I got to be part of the victory celebration. Granted, Jordan was not an overly happy camper, but the experience didn't kill him either.
Long Live Draglist!
Thank You Vets
In God we Trust...(all others pay cash)
Billy Mac Signs-West/Pegasus Race Cars

jim sanders

Postby jim sanders » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:09 pm

8) Great post BillyMac.. Reminds me of the early days with the GatorGumbo team.. we were first round ducks many times... Derek was ready to leave every night as soon as the car was loaded on the trailer. Don the Driver and I would wan't to hang around as long as a good friend was still in the hunt for a win.... as the years progressed and we started going rounds and Derek started to understand the game along with Don and I , learning the tricks and good prep it got fun for us.. These days Derek gets more ink than uncle Curt ever did with a fuelF/C :lol:
GOOD TO GO !!
Uncle Curt Wasson album
[url=http://www.glowfoto.com/users2/gatorgumbo][img]http://www.glowfoto.com/siteimages/linktogallery.gif[/img][/url]

Return to “What's Up”