IHRA Opener... Looks like 3 hr shows will be easy...

Check in with your pals daily. What's on your mind?
John Howe
Re: IHRA Opener... Looks like 3 hr shows will be easy...

Postby John Howe » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:19 pm

What the heck...I`ll post more. Again,..."quantity...not quality".

"We he get's done pouring the Kickapoo Joy Juice, I`m gonna put the funnel down and kick that guy's ass!"

The cajun bike team adding the hot sauce.

We need clean up in pit 5!

Thrashing

1-2-3....hmmm

A few in black and white

My attempt at "artsy"

Meanwhile, back at the line...

jim sanders

Postby jim sanders » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:37 am

John.. I have been enjoying your posts... great input and fantastic photos.. we are close in age and background... i have never crewed on a boat but i have worked on a few pleasure boats. have always enjoyed the boat drags over the years when they come to St.Louis at CreveCoeur Lake where i grew up every summercamp/scouts etc. Years ago i spent all day tied up in the middle of the course at the hydroplane race in the Lake of the Ozarks (Govenors cup i think was the name of the event) never forget that deal as i almost drowned dropping into the cold water alongside my buddy's boat to relieve myself and coming up under the hull :D ...... again thank you for joining and sharing 8)
GOOD TO GO !!
Uncle Curt Wasson album
[url=http://www.glowfoto.com/users2/gatorgumbo][img]http://www.glowfoto.com/siteimages/linktogallery.gif[/img][/url]

Diana The Doc

Postby Diana The Doc » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:33 am

It's good to see some pics... Thanks for posting 'em... I love that white Oldsmobile of Kent Shockley's, the one he fabricated into "batmobile" trim, complete with bubble-glass cockpit-- He brought it to E'Town last season with his triple threat Jet Truck-- Kent is a real nice guy-- A genuine gentleman, who just happens to have one of the most volatile pieces of jet powered drag racin' machinery on the planet... It's good to see Steve Nichols take the "Prostalgia F/C" field-- He's definitely paid his dues and earned respect... Peter Gallan in the "Poverty Stricken" Flopper was also there-- The "Poverty Stricken" team have been involved with drag racing for decades-- I'm happy to see them taking a serious swing at N/FC racing-- They're good people... And how 'bout that Bobby Lagana Jr.!?-- If anyone I know deserves to win a race like this one, it's definitely Bobby Jr.-- Bobby Jr's dad, Bobby Sr., has such an incredible history, running low-dollar Floppers that would please the crowds just as much as the high-dollar rides... Several years ago, after an E-Town event, I ran into the Lagana family, Bobby Sr, Bobby Jr, and Dominick at a restaurant located just down the road from Raceway Park, a place called "Vitalies" (formerly known as "Cantories", now known as "The Race Zone"), when we were all done having dinner, we went out to the parking lot, and Bobby Sr. did a very nice on-camera interview with us, he was compassionately praising Drag Racing Underground, 'cause he knew from seeing us so much, that we been serving the northeast drag racing community for a long time-- After Bobby Sr. was done saying what he wanted to say, we filmed the Lagana crew pulling out of the parking lot, with their old ultra low budget blue ramp truck, with the old blue "Twilight Zone" digger on top-- the sun was setting, it was just a perfect kind of moment-- I think we featured it on one of our nostalgia oriented releases... If ANYBODY deserves success in this extremely difficult and unforgiving business of drag racing-- The Lagana family CERTAINLY DO!!-- They are Honest-to-God True-Grit, Hardcore drag racing stock, and believe you me, the Lagana's have more heart for this sport than lots of folks could ever comprehend... I love those guys, and much like them, I still miss seeing their Mom, Marie, at the races... Marie would be mighty proud of what her boys have accomplished... They've made all us who know them very proud... "The Doc" (Celebrity Drag Racing Authority & Visionary)...
THE MOST READ FEMALE BLOGGER ON THE DRAG RACING INTERNET. THANKS TO YOU. I LOVE Y'ALL FOR THAT!

John Howe

Postby John Howe » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:18 am

Those are great. Hey, John. Can I nab a few of these to illustrate the Drag Lists? bp

Yeah man,..nab away!!! JH

WildcatOne

Postby WildcatOne » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:56 pm

I'm enjoying this thread. Great pictures by John and stories by all...and some hydros and nabbing thrown in for good measure <g>...Cheers, WC1
Life Is Good!
http://www.peeweebowenband.com
Support Live Music!

draglist
Site Admin

Postby draglist » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:09 pm

Thanks, John! And I agree... great post. bp
Bill Pratt
Draglist.com - Crowdsourced drag racing history.
Headlines and Results: http://www.draglist.com/
Drag Lists: http://www.draglist.com/draglist/draglist.php

RickO

Postby RickO » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:34 pm

John, great pics of the event. My question is the track obviously did something right in gettting that many people to show up for this IHRA show"! What type of promotions did they run, Radio? TV? newsprint? Flyers strapped to turkeys being tossed out of a plane by Aurthur Carlson? :lol:
However the track managment/IHRA did it, way to go!
Thx,
RO
Texas Yankee

Mr. Jean

Postby Mr. Jean » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:47 am

Good stuff. 8) Thanks for sharing it here.
Jean Muntifering
#7897 Comp.
Old Comp Racer

SLICK VIC

Postby SLICK VIC » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:52 pm

Thanks for sharing the pictures,..looks like it was a great time regaurdless of the naysayers,..

Jeff Hamlinks A/Fueler with Bob Auto/ Automan,..this was Kevin Browns X/Balm, Jokers Racing A/fueler from Salt Lake City
before it was sold to Jeff that I went to Indy and Phoenix with in 2005,...Very Cool

Vic
http://www.vicmillerracing.com/
SMOLDERY SMOKEY BURNOUTS TO YOU ALL

John Howe

Postby John Howe » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:11 pm

John, great pics of the event. My question is the track obviously did something right in gettting that many people to show up for this IHRA show"! What type of promotions did they run, Radio? TV? newsprint? Flyers strapped to turkeys being tossed out of a plane by Aurthur Carlson? :lol:
However the track managment/IHRA did it, way to go!
Thx,
RO
First off,....thanks y'all for the compliments. I was out there just having a good time while messing around with a camera.

I found out about the event a couple of months back via the WWW. I know some of the NHRA pro teams test out there about this time of year. I Googled the track and saw this on the schedule. The "closed to the public" week long test session was the week before. Miami is about 100 miles away and so I'm not sure on how the local advertising went. I know the track first opened in the mid 1960`s, so no doubt it is well known locally. When I was nearing the track, I heard on the radio an ad from a auto parts store and in that ad they mentioned the event.

By they way, I do remember "Jungle Jim" from the "way back" days...and hence the numerous JJ car pics. Of course I mostly remember "Jungle Pam"....she could make a blind man stare!!! :mrgreen:

Return to “What's Up”