Antron Brown accident

Check in with your pals daily. What's on your mind?
Andamo
Re: Antron Brown accident

Postby Andamo » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:15 am

Diana, that's a excellent suggestion you've posted. But I think it needs to be carried out farther. I'm sure the crew person that was responsible for putting on the tires and tightening the lug nuts is having thoughts running through his head also. He also needs counseling in my opinion. These folks on the crews are professionals and I'm sure all are second guessing things they've done.
Be kind to whomever you meet, because everyones fighting some kind of battle.

racersforcoffee

Postby racersforcoffee » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:43 am

...pressure, threatened for years, may rear its ugly head from insurance underwriting. While the big show may be able to maintain itself, I'm concerned about the fallout down to local events featuring nitro. My hero, Rod Hynes did a...heroic job just days before in what could have been a tragic 'cackle'. OFAA and small-scale nostalgia shows need support to prove, using quantifiable data, our sport can sustain itself using risk management principles. Sucks, but there it is...
The Free Market Of Ideas Works Both Ways

www.racersforcoffee.wordpress.com

animal jim

Postby animal jim » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:35 am

:cry: Very Very sad deal. Seems rear wheel stud breakage happens more than it should. I know some Pro mods that tried titanium studs and broke some.

Perhaps studs should be larger dia, more of them, spread the wheel circle pattern wider. :idea:

I did hear mentioned that a retaining devise is being looked into. :idea:

I watched the finish last evening and they showed how far that wheel bounced. Lucky it did not hurt anyone else.

Wheels into the crowd have killed many people over the years in all types of motor sports. Usually fans.

I recall one wheel incident at the Indy 500 one year. It was when I was still working with the Indy crew for Bear Manufacturing back then.
That damn wheel bounced from the 4th. turn to the start of the straight away and went into the stands. If I recall the victim was from near here in Peoria. :shock:

I remeber one night at Princeton IL. 1/4 mile Dirt track. Street Stockers running 10 and 12 bolt GM rears with only C clip retainers pitched out two wheels with the axles still attached two times that night. Both times they damn near hit a group standing by the first turn opening to the pits. I guess in Princeton, IL. they never heard of Strange's axle retainer kit for C clip type axles. :roll: The damn fools still stood by that opening! :shock:
It has been quite a ride!

Diana The Doc

Postby Diana The Doc » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:26 am

Andamo, you make a very good point... I have heard from others who echo your opinion on this matter... It might also be highly advisable to provide psychological counseling for some of the crew members of the Don Schumacher team who were responsible for servicing and preparing Antron Brown's dragster... I'm sure that the crew person who was employed to service the tires, change the slicks, etc, could more than likely use some quality time with a professional psychologist... Here in the New York City area, there's a fine gentleman by the name of Dr. Paul Schienberg... Dr. Schienberg, Ph.D is a psychologist who often specializes in the world of sports-- He's actually what you would refer to as a "sports psychologist", Dr. Schienberg has worked with lots of athletes, including racers... He might be a wise choice in dealing with this matter... I've often said that drag racing is a far more complex sport than what the novice observer can possibly comprehend-- Not only is it important for our racers to wear a helmet on their head to protect their mind, but it is equally important that their mind be capable of clear thinking and the ability to remain alert on raceday-- The "mental" health of the racers competing in NHRA Championship Drag Racing is just as important and crucial to the safety of the sport as their "physical" health... "The Doc" (Celebrity Drag Racing Authority & Visionary)...
THE MOST READ FEMALE BLOGGER ON THE DRAG RACING INTERNET. THANKS TO YOU. I LOVE Y'ALL FOR THAT!

Andamo

Postby Andamo » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:22 pm

Thought this is worth reading about and a huge step in the right direction.

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/racing/nh ... id=4939283

RH

Postby RH » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:56 pm

Thought this is worth reading about and a huge step in the right direction.

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/racing/nh ... id=4939283
I never thought of the tethers as being viable in drag racing as they're used in other series primarily to contain parts after impact related seperation,not from torque/load related mechanical failure.
Great to see this issue being addressed with such urgency.At least this might be a fix until a stronger component system is engineered.I'm not a huge JFR fan on the race track but certainly a fan of their efforts to improve sport safety.My hat is off to them.
Ron
"I get pushed outa' shape and it's hard to steer, when I get rubber in all four gears"

Andamo

Postby Andamo » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:53 pm

John Medlin is a driven man, and with good reason too. John being part of the Force brain trust is good for our sport. It's as if his thoughts of getting the last ounce of power from a fuel motor has now switched to making the cars safer for drivers and spectators alike. I applaud his resolve in this, and other safety matters also.

Dan

Return to “What's Up”