CLASSES or BRACKETS???

Check in with your pals daily. What's on your mind?
Race4Wheels
Re: CLASSES or BRACKETS???

Postby Race4Wheels » Mon May 09, 2011 6:38 pm

Hi, I very much appologize for not replying to your questions in this thread made to me over a year ago. Family troubles made for many distractions as I continued to move ahead in this new class racing type venue. I have continued to hone this formula down, especially after finding that the Stock Eliminator cars were killing the indexes tremendously. After doing some research on the Stock Eliminator cams and suspected practices involved with them, the formula had to be recurved to keep the higher lift cams in the game. Unfortunately this has knocked true street profiled cams out of the picture with regards to being competitive on this index format but you can't make everybody happy so I had to go with the idea that this is a race venue for racers with race cars built for the purpose. If there turns out to be a demand for it, some sort of a street car class may be possible, but for the time being I have scheduled a provisional race for this coming November. Well, there is no other way to know any more at this point so the race is on and we shall see the results, hopefully. Getting a fair showing of racers looks to be the real challenge as most are very sceptical just as some showed to be on the thread.
We are in the Phoenix area and most racers here show about 5 tenths under their respective indexes.
If you would like to see more on the progress and some examples of actual cars indexes and times, you can see these at the American DRAGCAR Facebook page, and you can take a look at USDRAGCAR.com for more detailed information as to the questions of policing, for example.

Race4Wheels

Re: CLASSES or BRACKETS???

Postby Race4Wheels » Mon May 09, 2011 7:28 pm

Also, with regards to questions made as to how some cars are further under the indexes than others, well yes that is racing, but while looking at the updated indexes for the vehicles above you must remember a couple of things; Nuber one is that while I do know that these cars' combinations and E.T.s are accurate and true, they were not all run on the same date in the same weather, and these cars were not built or tuned for this type of racing venue. The point to American DRAGCAR is to make class racing affordable to racers who would like to compete in such a venue. Each of the examples above could be made to be very competitve in this venue for far less than what it would take to put them in an NHRS/IHRA class competively. The second thing to note is that while the Pro Stock sample shows to be farther under the index than any others, it must be remembered that those quick Pro Stock times are produced in very good weather and not in the typical Phoenix area track conditions.
PS-A tenth is an eternity but the plain fact is that racers cut good light and racers cut bad lights, and it is quite comprehensible that you lining up alongside a Willys running a tenth quicker could still come out to be the victor.
This venue simply is not for everybody, as much as I would like it to be. Some racers simply prefer to play the numbers game, fender race, and practice timed dumping at the finish line as form of high speed chess, but that's not really racing, is it? A race is a contest to establish who or which vehicle is quicker. Deciding in the next 9 seconds whether you think you cut a good enough light to be able to take the stripe instaed of dumping it to your opponent does not define a race.

Return to “What's Up”