New Or Old?

Check in with your pals daily. What's on your mind?
Solid Rock
Re: New Or Old?

Postby Solid Rock » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:12 am

The 4 wide will, IMO, help kill NHRA drag racing.
I put it in the same category as the confusing qualifying, the 1000ft, and the countdown.
I have no plans to pay to see this four wide stuff in person.
Again,IMO, you are getting half the show for the same money.
Consider that it takes about two minutes for a fuel car to make a pass, from start up to turn off, with the two car eliminations you see 15 pairs go down the track for 30 minutes of entertainment.
With the four car deal you get to see seven rounds for 14 minutes of entertainment. I personally find it impossible to watch four cars at a time.

I do think that the four wide will give a great boost to the nostalgia races.

bandit

Postby bandit » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:46 pm

I said the circus thing Zapster. It was just my feeling not a fact by any stretch of ones imagination. Yeah the trike and bat thing is a circus too though I won't put it in the same context.
It might be intersting to leave a race or 2 in the 4 lane. The NASCAR boys run a road course. I don't know.
It's kinda like the DH thing in baseball. The purists hate it. Folks that like it will look for reasons to justify it's existence just like the opposition for it's demise. I think it may be one of those "Stay Tuned" things.
I must be an old skool cuz I still like the motors in the front. :D :shock: :D :wink:
Nano!!

Zappy

Postby Zappy » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:53 pm

I said the circus thing Zapster. Folks that like it will look for reasons to justify it's existence just like the opposition for it's demise. I think it may be one of those "Stay Tuned" things.. :D :shock: :D :wink:
Bullseye Bandit, yer right, we'll just have to wait to see who blinks...PRO or NHRA.

4-Wide or NO 4-wide, it will NOT kill dragracing. The clown down did'nt - the qualifying format did'nt - 90 per cent did'nt -
rev limiters did'nt - 1,000ft did'nt. As long as there are two cars + two men on the planet....they WILL race. :wink: :wink:

Oh and I agree buddy, the engines belong up-front. Like I always used to say.."If you've never sat behind yer own rear tires
you've NEVER had the BEST seat in the house." Zap

WildcatOne

Postby WildcatOne » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:47 pm

I'm gonna cover that action and go 'em one more when I hit the Mega Millions Jackpot! Cheers, WC1
Attachments
2 and 2 wide5.jpg
Life Is Good!
http://www.peeweebowenband.com
Support Live Music!

Billy Mac

Postby Billy Mac » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:22 am

For "most" intents and purposes, 4 wide racing is interesting at the very least. Difficult to view all that's going on???...Yup. Definite WOW factor (noise etc.) Yup Yup. My only "issue" with it is the points deal....If Bruton and the NHRA want to have 4 wide races a couple of times a year, fine...just don't have points on the line, period. Any records set during qualifying or eliminations would also be null and void; yes, they would/could light up the scoreboards with other worldly numbers, but those numbers would only be good for bragging rights.

Trying to compare a 4 wide drag race with Nascar and road course events is, hmmmm... dadgummit, I lost my train of thought...oh yeah...So what if a car that runs around in circles has to turn the steering wheel in the other direction (Sprint cars and dirt trackers do it all the time, usually to turn left :roll: )....A drag race is a pairing of two vehicles over a measured (and timed) distance. All drag strips are the same distance. (with the exception of 1/8th mile facilities) Football fields are all the same dimensions (with the exception of fields in Canada) Baseball on the other hand is kinda like Nascar, in that , some things are the same but distances and layout are vastly different...the base paths are still 90 feet long and square, or "diamond" shaped.

As to the title of this thread??....My vote is for OLD!!!!!
Long Live Draglist!
Thank You Vets
In God we Trust...(all others pay cash)
Billy Mac Signs-West/Pegasus Race Cars

Zappy

Postby Zappy » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:53 pm

Friends I seem to be the odd man out here but I like the 4 wide deal. It has the potential of saving the teams $$$ two ways. (1) less rds. (2) you could give more between RD time so you could get by with less crew.

A lot of folks don't want to give points because "It's different". Folks ALL tracks are different. Some have 100 ft cement, some have 300 ft, some have 500 or 660, even 1320 ft. Do they change points??...NO

In Denver they change the .90 classes to .10 WHY ??(9.90 - 10.10) no body panics.

Nitro went from 1320 to 1,000 ft, Life went on

At INDY they remove any points lead you may have built up and basicly start a new season.

On Fri. if you qualify 13 or lower...they don't count it. :?:

It's change, thats all. I just don't see what all the fuss is about. The biggest improvement since Garlit put the motor in back. IMO

Iowa Al

Postby Iowa Al » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:59 pm

Yea or Nay, reading all of your posts on the subject is fun to do.
I'm a Nay, but then, I'm way old too.
IA AL

Zappy

Postby Zappy » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:19 pm

Yer right Al, it's been a while since an issue generated this much hubub.

jim sanders

Postby jim sanders » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:39 pm

Nay.... @53
GOOD TO GO !!
Uncle Curt Wasson album
[url=http://www.glowfoto.com/users2/gatorgumbo][img]http://www.glowfoto.com/siteimages/linktogallery.gif[/img][/url]

Mrs. Stimpy

Postby Mrs. Stimpy » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:58 pm

2 lane 1320 feet thats dragracing , 4 lanes thats the Dan Ryan expressway ( which now is 6 lanes ) .whats next Nhra , 4 lanes for the racecars and race the pit vehicles down the return road too?? . Stimpy

Return to “What's Up”