Your Opinion Of Drag Racing Today?

Check in with your pals daily. What's on your mind?
223rd&Alameda
Re: Your Opinion Of Drag Racing Today?

Postby 223rd&Alameda » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:24 pm

I. Now on to the Super classes. Boring, borefest, boredom and more boring. I saw the early days of Pro Gas at Sacramento with Riolo, Bunker,Philson and company. In the 80s' era, Super Gaswas fun to watch. Some of the saturday night shows at OCIR in conjunction with the pro shows were good. Now today, it is a waste of car and equipment. The same cookie-cutter runs, boring. In the early days there were real 4-speeds, lenco cars 3speed autos and glides. Now it's big inch convertables that fall on their face after the launch and put people to sleep, boring and even more boring. The last 6 years, whenever these cars come out, it's time for a pit walk or a food run. Boring. There used to be all kinds of door cars including Anglias, Thames panels and so on.

My suggestion. Dump all electronics, go back to the driver and not the gadgets. Also it is time to lower the index to at least 9.50, maybe a step further to a 9 flat. Most all cars today can run in the eights without breaking a sweat. Stop the boredom.

J. Super Comp. Another class that at one time had car and combo diversity. small and big block front engine dragsters, altereds of all kinds, door cars, and rear engine dragsters. Now it's all huge engine rear engine diggers with way to much electonics, boring the fans to tears. To see these expensive and high dollar cars fall on their face is a travesty.

My suggestion is to dump the gadgets and lower the index to at least 8.50 and maybe all the way to 7.90. Stop the boredom and stop wasting the potential of the equipment.

223rd & Alameda

WildcatOne

Postby WildcatOne » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:54 pm

This thread is a great read and there is a lot of thought going into it. I like 223's Super Classes suggestions, but I am also with WCB and Bandito...I have enjoyed every second of the time I've spent at drag strips from the first time I set foot on one as a kid until now. I've even dug watching the Safety Safari do their thing. I've seen more of a need for improvement and efficiency in myself than I have in the big racing organizations...Heck, If it's drag racing, I'm in. Cheers, WC1
Life Is Good!
http://www.peeweebowenband.com
Support Live Music!

Zappy

Postby Zappy » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:58 pm

Right on 223. I too used to love the S/G class. Lots of variety. The avg. fan in the stand could identify with.
Not like the nitro super-mega dollar cars that the fan knew was out of his reach.

Same with S/C. A step quicker, mostly dragsters, but some door cars. Leave together, very fun. Then came electronics, and the coast-a-thon began. A shame because it started as a good idea.

streetracer

Postby streetracer » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:29 pm

it is still about who has the first car to the line, street, nhra or other. it's more professional now, that's all.

223rd&Alameda

Postby 223rd&Alameda » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:58 am

K. The events, venues, and cost. The events the last year or two have been run a little quicker. When I went to Atlanta this year, the race was over at 3:55pm. Five hours is good especially today with the general publics short attention span of today. In my view, I would like the classes to be AA/FD,FC,PS,TAD/TAFC, Comp, Super Stock and Stock. No Super Gas or Super Comp and then rotate Top Dragster and Top Sportsman.

With the success of night racing since Saugus started racing under the lights, it just puzzles me why more National events aren't run on Saturday nights. A three day event, Thurs-Fri-Sat nights. Why more events don't have night sessions on Saturdays, especially when it's hot during the summer. I think the 65 minute between rounds time is good. NHRA should dump those lame guys who yak and yak then shoot t-shirts into the crowd. Have some "real" wheelstanders, Fuel Altereds, AA/FCs, or Jets. Stop taking so much time to prep the track. Have ya seen all the dopes leaving after nitro? Not waiting for Pro Stock. Keep the show moving. The cost of tickets is way to high, sell National event tickets at $30 or $25 a pop on Sat and Sun and watch the stands fill up. The cost of the concessions is jusy way out of hand, especially at Pomona and Chicago, come on, $9.00 and up for a beer? $5.00 for a hot dog, $8.00 for a burger? Then the parking, especially at Pomona. $30 for trackside, $15.00 for prefered, $10.00 for general parking that seems like it's in another county! Yes I know the Fair sets the price.

What about a Dragster and Funny Car parade instead of that boring stage pre-race stuff that nobody pays attention too. Some good points, and there are many, the facilitys are much better these days, The seating is much better, timing is more extensive. Many more good points but one stands out more than any, the smell and the sound of a nitro engine is still the best!! Keeps me coming back for more, a nice snort at a pit warm-up, a nitro bath if you will is still the greatest.

More later

223rd & Alameda

streetracer

Postby streetracer » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:50 pm

I wonder if men used to p*ss and moan so much about everything 'back in the day'

streetracer

Postby streetracer » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:05 pm

let us not lose sight that a bad day at the drags is better than a good day at work

streetracer

Postby streetracer » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:07 pm

IT SUCKS
can't go back, impossible

streetracer

Postby streetracer » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:08 pm

I loved,lived it "then", love it now, (Today),and will love it tomorrow.......
right on wally, you are a half full type of person like me

streetracer

Postby streetracer » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:11 pm

[quote="Barb"]Ok Billy .. you asked for it!!!!

First and foremost .. drag racing was the brains of man and car .. NOT ELECTRONICS. You get these guys now who are computer experts putting chips or whatever into the control boxes, clutches, fuel systems .. let them get back to racing by the seat of their pants. Make it an even playing field for everyone.

On electronics, I can agree if you're talking super class, dump sputter boxes and all related. nitro, that is another topic. a computer will save oil downs, professional nitro classes is not for the types that are just learning, someone will get hurt.

Return to “What's Up”