Your Opinion Of Drag Racing Today?

Check in with your pals daily. What's on your mind?
223rd&Alameda
Your Opinion Of Drag Racing Today?

Postby 223rd&Alameda » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:41 pm

What is your opinion of drag racing today? NHRA, IHRA, ADRL, Nostalgia? What do you like, what do you dont like? Rules, venues, officials and so on. I will vent later, just want to hear what you think.

223rd & Alameda

Zappy

Re: Your Opinion Of Drag Racing Today?

Postby Zappy » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:22 pm

Great thread idea 223, this will see lots of posts. WOW , where to start...I could do volumes.

On a positive note, I love the nostalgia movement. It's great for the fans, provides an action packed show for very little cost. Great for the sport because it brings "PRO" type shows to tracks that can't get tour cars because of the test ban.

I like 1/8th - 1/4 mi. - 1,000 ft. , and 4-wide, It's all good.

Now as far as nhra goes, it seems they are trying to kill dragracing. They talk about lowering cost for racers, yet do nothing. Too many Natl. events. To restrictive at natl. events. Lax in safety. Give "PRO" class status to handicaped vehicles.

Well I better quit for now.
"Z"

Billy Mac

Postby Billy Mac » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:57 pm

In an effort to "speed up the show", I think both NHRA and IHRA have taken things a bit far... i.e. IHRA's Chicago style format where only the two fastest cars run for the WIN. Being down here in the south, I don't get to see too much of the Nostalgia races, but LOVE the concept of the older bodies that "look" like what they are (and not the NHRA style aero bubbles...I mean...since when does a Mustang body have a foot, or more, distance between the outer door and the door glass for the driver to rest his or her arm on??? YUK!!...but I AM a Force Fan :roll: )

Look at it like this folks...you go to a baseball game that is supposed to take 9 innings and when the game is over, you leave (unless you are a Dodger fan at Chavez Ravine :lol: ) Some of those games go into extra innings...sometimes as many as 17 or 18. Shoot, "some" games that are only 9 innings seem to take as long as an 18 inning marathon. What I am trying too say here is this... "true" fans don't give a rat's rosey red backside if a drag race lasts into the wee hours of the night, but the bean counters aren't interested in them, They want to try to impress the "casual" fan who may want to come to the races for a few minutes and then go catch a movie. I say let 'em go to the damn movies and keep race fans entertained with smoke, noise and spectical like its supposed to. But then again, "who" am "I" to say one way or the other?? Just another Old School Fan. :arrow:
Long Live Draglist!
Thank You Vets
In God we Trust...(all others pay cash)
Billy Mac Signs-West/Pegasus Race Cars

Barb

Postby Barb » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:35 am

IT SUCKS
Families are like fudge .. mostly sweet with a few NUTZ!!!!

WCB

Postby WCB » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:07 am

I loved,lived it "then", love it now, (Today),and will love it tomorrow.......
www.wallybell.com

Maritime Drag Racing

Postby Maritime Drag Racing » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:15 am

Lots of opinions here both good and bad but I'll just list a few of each to save on space.

Bad stuff
1. Personally frustrated with bracket racing(although I seem to be pretty good at it lately) for one reason only - SANDBAGGERS!! I dialed in at 18.40 seconds and had a 12.50 dialed car catch me at the 1/8 mile then pass me 10 feet from the 1/4 mile mark(That same car went 11.60 earlier in the day)
2. Throttle stops - Just walk through the spectators area and you WILL HEAR how much they despise those things. That is if you can find anyone in the stands when those "Super" classes are being run.
3. Small tire/huge power cars - how many cars have to be destroyed and drivers injured or killed before that 10.5 tire rule gets changed?
4. Dwindling numbers in the Street/Sportsman classes - Where in the heck are all the new racers supposed to come from?

Good stuff
1. The 1000 ft deal for the T/F and F/C classes - 21st century nitro cars are waaaay too fast for tracks built in the 60's or 70's.
2. Stock and Superstock achievements - Tell someone 30 years ago that Stockers would be in the 9s and Superstockers in the 8's and they would think you were dreaming.
3. Safety innovations - HANS devices, funny car cages, fire systems, sand traps, catch nets, etc. Think of the injuries and deaths that have been prevented because of these things.
4. Junior Dragsters - The BEST thing that ever happened to our sport. Even here in the Maritimes we have had a ton of them graduate to 8 and 9 second full size dragsters.

Billy Mac

Postby Billy Mac » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:46 am

IT SUCKS
Please Elaborate, Barb. I would Love to hear your opinion on the state of things. (e-mail works if you don't wanna say anything further here :wink: )
Long Live Draglist!
Thank You Vets

Barb

Postby Barb » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:22 pm

Ok Billy .. you asked for it!!!!

First and foremost .. drag racing was the brains of man and car .. NOT ELECTRONICS. You get these guys now who are computer experts putting chips or whatever into the control boxes, clutches, fuel systems .. let them get back to racing by the seat of their pants. Make it an even playing field for everyone.

Second, there was a place for EVERYONE to race, not just the "PROS". Now it's a three ring circus with the multi-million dollar teams taking up most of the pit space with their "support" vehicles. What they have seem to have forgotten, is guys like you, who keep these tracks open week after week. Without the tracks there would be no NHRA, IHRA or the likes.

Third, and this is personal .. when officials came to us back in the day and told us we could NO longer go to THEIR event and make one shot to qualify and sit out until race day.

Fourth, now you have to get approval for a sponsor on your vehicle. That's hog wash .. they just want to get their hands deeper into the pockets before the racers do.

Fifth, let the tracks control their shows not an organization that might be in that area once a year.

Sixth, get back to the origin of the superiors being .. "Dedicated To Safety"

I'll crawl back under my rock for now .. :mrgreen:

Billy Mac

Postby Billy Mac » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:24 pm

Careful what you ask for there Billy :shock: :shock: ... Barb, you are dead on the money with everything you stated... but I am sure you left a number of things Off of that list. :wink:

I boggles my mind that NHRA Division races can't draw a crowd. Some of the baddest hot rods on the planet and nearly the only spectators came in the gate with a racer.

SOmebody in the main offices of both NHRA and IHRA need to really study what Rich Christensen is doing with his Pinks All Out shows: standing room only crowds...WOW!
Don't get me wrong, I am NOT necessarily in agreement with his payout schedule but who am I anyway...wait a minute...win the first round and get a minimum of $500 handed to you...in CASH?? On second thought, count me in :mrgreen:
Long Live Draglist!
Thank You Vets

Barb

Postby Barb » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:59 pm

Careful what you ask for there Billy :shock: :shock: ... Barb, you are dead on the money with everything you stated... but I am sure you left a number of things Off of that list. :wink:
:mrgreen:
:lol: :lol: You're right Billy but I didn't want to push it any further .. especially when the doc's have me on all these meds :mrgreen:

Return to “What's Up”