Top Ten Top Gas Cars

Check in with your pals daily. What's on your mind?
223rd&Alameda
Top Ten Top Gas Cars

Postby 223rd&Alameda » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:06 am

Last nights racersreunion radio show top 10 Top Gas car list.

Where to start, no offense at all to the person picking "his" top 10, I know it's opinion. But I truly believe some real research was needed to get it right.

First, one of the honorable mentions was Art Arfons and the Allison powered "exhibition" car. It was that, it never ran in the Top Gas Eliminator category.

Second was giving honorable mention to one of the greates pure drivers ever in a digger, Lefty Mudersbach, major error there.

Third. on to the top 10, I have a little trouble with Eddie Hills dual-engine car being in the top 10 in Top Gas Elim, not when there are a number of other cars I feel more worthy, no diss to Eddie however.

There was one major omision and around three other candidates that in my view could and maybe should have been top 10 cars. This is where I have a bone to pick and feel there was a lack of historical research, once again, no disrespect.

To leave off Billy "the Kid" Scott out of the top 10 was awfull. In his short career Billy won a stack of races against the best in the mid-60s. I was floored when Billy was omitted.

There were a couple more that were left off that surprised. Walt Rhoades and the "Gas House Gang." The Shultz & Glenn team with Gerry "the Hunter" Glenn behind the wheel. One of the few cars to have a good record against the Freight Train. Also Rico Paris was left out of the entire mix.

Once again, I guess it's just opinion, but history and the raw numbers were overlooked in my book.

223rd & Alameda *Where drag racing history was made every Saturday night, simply the best!* 8)

jim sanders

Re: Top Ten Top Gas Cars

Postby jim sanders » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:43 am

was cool to hear you last night Mark
GOOD TO GO !!
Uncle Curt Wasson album
[url=http://www.glowfoto.com/users2/gatorgumbo][img]http://www.glowfoto.com/siteimages/linktogallery.gif[/img][/url]

223rd&Alameda

Postby 223rd&Alameda » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:12 pm

Thanks. Another huge omission was the great Jack Jones. :!:

223rd & Alameda * The strip were Junior Fule was born.....thanks C.J.*

draglist
Site Admin

Postby draglist » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:20 pm

Thanks for the comments. Appreciate you listening. Top Ten in anything over several years is going to leave out a ton of deserving racers and is to a great degree subjective to the reviewer's experiences. We know that going in and we welcome folks who offer their own lists. Great to have your participation.

PS... while not mentioned by name, Danny says that Billy Scott's efforts in the Freight Train helped to bump that effort to the top of the list. bp
Bill Pratt
Draglist.com - Crowdsourced drag racing history.
Headlines and Results: http://www.draglist.com/
Drag Lists: http://www.draglist.com/draglist/draglist.php

Danny White

Postby Danny White » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:06 pm

Art Arfons ran Top Eliminator classes before there was a Top Gas . The rules stated gas only and that is what Arfons ran before he, his brother Walt Arfons and Lee Pendelton all got kicked out for running aircraft engines. They were killer for Top speed of the meets but stunk at ET.

Other racers that could have been mentioned was Llyod Scott and the Bustle Bomb, Mickey Thompson dragsters, Jack Moss, and the Frye Brothers among others. It is not a perfect system but to each their own. One big problem about compiling this list is history does not care much for blown gas dragsters then like T/AD. it is just hard to did up good information in a very short time for a subject that there is little hisstory on. The little that is found is 90% percent on the So-Cal racers, who seemed to be best gas dragsters.

Thanks,
Danny

223rd&Alameda

Postby 223rd&Alameda » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:53 am

Danny

There is a large difference between Top Gas and Top Eliminator. Your top 10 list headline is Top Gas, not Top Eliminator. If you were a geezer like me (LOL) you would know there is a huge difference, gotta be accurate my brother.

As a student of this sport I take this stuff very seriously, maybe too much so :mrgreen:

The list. if presented how it was should have state, top 10 "gas" powered dragsters of all time.

I tried to let the omisions of the top 10 match racers go without a gripe, really had to bite my tongue on that one as well. :mrgreen:

223rd & Alameda *Where every Saturday night was the "olympics of drag racing."*

Return to “What's Up”