f/c trans question

Check in with your pals daily. What's on your mind?
stimpy
Re: f/c trans question

Postby stimpy » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:08 am

kind of neat learning history not normally covered in a public school , and this is more interesting after learning the same stuff for 12 years ( Btw I still get the year wrong for the war of 1812)
the Groom that went Vroom At DLN IV

NitroHelper

Postby NitroHelper » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:44 am

....3.20 deal was to keep the speeds down...
That's not quite correct, the plan was to reduce the "rate of increase" in speeds...
Goodyear has maintained for around twenty years now that the maximum speed for this size tire design is 340 mph , they wanted a safety factor of at least 10 mph slower and ideally a 325 limit...
The Nitro crew chiefs wanted the gear rule @ 3.20 back then (I was for 3.40) as the simplest method to stop the 3-5 mph "jumps" in top speed that were taking place due to the fuel & clutch management system gains in technology...
For the last ten years the blower engineering has greatly improved the product, if I was the Glendoran Nitro Dictator :twisted: , the current overdrive maximums for all classes would be cut in half tomorrow , next the throttle blade openings would be no larger than 45 square inches for all classes in 2012...
" Win a Few ... Lose a Lot " ...a drag racer...

Barb

Postby Barb » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:39 am

Great information here guys .. Jerry knows his stuff :D and he'd make an awesome Nitro Director. JERRY for PRESIDENT :mrgreen:

The only point that I would have to go the other way on .. the price to make a run from the 2 speed to high gear only. But, then again, you would have had to understand that Domenic was a genius at making runs without hurting parts. We may have scuffed a piston every once in awhile but very seldom. In fact, we ran the same parts the last 5 seasons we raced .. only taken out after we wore them out!!!! Bottom line .. we had a combination that work flawlessly, we could sometimes run with the big boys and their high dollar stuff, but .. most of all we were having fun and puttin on a show for our fans.
Families are like fudge .. mostly sweet with a few NUTZ!!!!

Zappy

Postby Zappy » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:46 pm

I realize we need to cut speeds back periodically for safety. But to do so with out a major cost, especially to the smaller teams, is the problem. I think nitrohelper has just done done a perfect one-two punch. A) restrict air intake / B) cut blower overdrive in half.

BARB i'm with you : NITROHELPER for Nitro Director. :D :D

WCB

Postby WCB » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:57 pm

Hey gang, on Sam's radio show Bruce Larson was talkin about when the funnys went to direct drive, how hard it was on parts.
I been thinkin a long time that maybe it's time to go to a 2-speed trans. What do YOU think ???

not necessary with the fabulous clutches of TODAY
www.wallybell.com

Return to “What's Up”