Sometimes I would Like to Be Rude-But Do Not

Check in with your pals daily. What's on your mind?
animal jim
Sometimes I would Like to Be Rude-But Do Not

Postby animal jim » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:04 pm

:? Every once in a while I will get some know it alls in my shop or encounter somewhere telling me the Hot Tip they used when drag racing back in the day. :roll: I would like to be rude ask them, Oh by the way, how many races have you ever won? Championships? Records? Awards?

But I do not have the heart to embarrass them-I know the answer. ZERO. These are usually people who would only race occationally run a few rounds-then change sh-t constantly. Hard to win -especially bracket racing doing that. :wink: 8)

Winning, especially bracket races takes common sense, disipline and dedication.
1. Have a smooth consistant car. 2. Race in an et range comfortable to you and your equipment. 3.Learn to drive well-cutting a good light-steering straight-shifting proper-making the best prep and driving decisions possible.

Try to keep from expermenting when you already hav e a good thing going. :wink:
Last edited by animal jim on Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
It has been quite a ride!

WCB

Re: Sometimes I would Like to Be Rude-But Do Not

Postby WCB » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:06 am

Jim, You're a gentleman.
It is hard to hold one's tongue in those situations And...(for me), when others (actually "other")run their ("his")mouths ("mouth"),about being #1, when they ("he"),truly aren't.("wasn't")... :roll: :roll:
"Figures don't lie, BUT, Liars can figure"as the saying goes......

You're a multi Time Champion for good reasons Jim!..... 8) 8) 8)

Happy,Safe,New Year

Wally
www.wallybell.com

Diana The Doc

Postby Diana The Doc » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:13 am

Animal, I give you credit for handling slightly inflated blowhardness with a touch of grace... I find that occasionally when I'm at a chassis or engine shop, you do see racers who are still sort of "wet behind the ears" come through the door, and they do have a tendency to put on a "know it all" sort of front-- I think this could partially be due to the fact that they feel the need to grandstand a little bit in front of the seasoned veterans (like yourself), who they know are genuinely knowledgeable from experience... Your tips for Bracket Racers are right on the money... The best thing to do is treat the situation with grace, and if they'll listen to you, offer up a little knowledge so that when they walk away from your shop, they truly are a little wiser for it... Yeah, drag racing can be a little intimidating for some folks, even though it appears on paper to be a "relatively easy" and "simple" sport, people like us, who've been in the biz for any length of time, are well aware that this sport is ANYTHING BUT being "relatively easy" and "simple"... "The Doc" (Celebrity Drag Racing Authority & Visionary)...
THE MOST READ FEMALE BLOGGER ON THE DRAG RACING INTERNET. THANKS TO YOU. I LOVE Y'ALL FOR THAT!

stimpy

Postby stimpy » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:37 pm

Aj , instead of criticizing and chastising , why not enlighten , not every Kid or even adult knows your acomplishments in the racing feild , this is not to chastise you but let you know , kids even adults in this era don't remember you or even know who you are ( hell I when I worked at winners circle I delt with alot of racers ( some Known ( lawson, Speiss ) ,some unknowns( Rocky ) , never knew them by face only by name . when I talk with some guys Now and mention yours , Wallys or Bakers, they are like who? one guy I pointed you out to at 66 and he didn't know you , only that your a trackworker Not "Animal JIm" the flamingo hat guy and pro mod pioneer ( yes I remember your hats and your cars only because I grew up during your time and your car was unusuall as everyone was running slick cars not boxes ) alot of them didn't even know of mountain motors back then they think its something within the last 10 years . like when I was racing out at Cordoba in 1990 , I had a kind gentleman walk up and start talking to me about the car I was driving ( 74 pontiac Trans am SS/KA ) and he knew alot of the history of it ( the car and former owner ) , later , the car owner asked what were you and "Arnie" talking about ?? , yep I was talking to your nemisis "the Farmer Beswick" , and didn't know it because he was older and haven't seen a picture of him since the 70's and he never introduced himself the only reason the owner knew of him was he used to follow him in the 60's and 70's , people these days only KNow the Forces , and the Bernsteins ( yes I know a old name now ) , Shumakers (sic) because they only know who is presented to them on TV ( I don't even know who races top fuel anymore or funny car as I lost interest in it ) ,our day and age of paper media is gone only replaced by video games and the top 10 on Shows ,unless your in the Know ( like alot of people on Draglist ) You unfortunately don't exist to them ( some people are like who is this Bob Glidden Guy ? I kid you not , I had one guy try to tell me hes related to the paint people ) , how many Nhra superstock or stock eliminator racers do people know ?? or top sportsman ?? super classes?? not many unless your into the scene ( my Mentor was a 5 time National winner in Super stock do you know his name??? or what his acomplishments where?? more than likely not , my first talk with him I was nervous ,hthe first words out of his mouth where keep quiet and just listen and take notes , I learned alot in 4 hours what he learned in 12 years , also the kid was more than likely trying to impress you to get a conversation started , I wound up with alot of people who did this at the shop or at the track and I was just a grunt , yes it insults you and I have the same feelings you had , I just passed it off as them being uninformed , or misinformed , to hear people try to tell you that the NOS bottle contains nitomethane ( has happened to me at super chevy ) ... sometimes its better to correct them and teach them , than to call them a Idiot ,as a teacher leaves a good impression , a person who critises forever leaves a bad one . Inform and enlighten , instead of being the grumpy old man down the street , and beleive me the kids now days need knowledge like you have , do them a favor share it . it helps them and the sport .
the Groom that went Vroom At DLN IV

draglist
Site Admin

Postby draglist » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:17 pm

I think the point was missed... it's not the folks who humbly come seeking advice. I think those are rarely turned away. I think AJ was referring to the folks who come up acting as if they have the answer when they clearly do not. That's when it takes real restraint... :D bp
Bill Pratt
Draglist.com - Crowdsourced drag racing history.
Headlines and Results: http://www.draglist.com/
Drag Lists: http://www.draglist.com/draglist/draglist.php

23t

Postby 23t » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:19 pm

I think the point was missed... it's not the folks who humbly come seeking advice. I think those are rarely turned away. I think AJ was referring to the folks who come up acting as if they have the answer when they clearly do not. That's when it takes real restraint... :D bp
Yep!! I get calls with "what do you thinks wrong with my cart. And when I tell them what I think the problem is they respond with "no, I don't think that's the problem". :roll: What did they call me for if they have the answers! :x :roll: Don't get me wrong, I'm all for helping someone out but come on! I do know a little bit about carts.

animal jim

Postby animal jim » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:45 pm

You hit the nail on the head draglist! I think Simpy misunderstood or I did not make it clear. Most of these I was critisizing are blowhards that have known me well. Some for over 30 years.
As far as sharing information I do. All the time. World wide. If I had a one dollar an hour for the time I spent helping people with info the last 40 years I would be a millionare! :lol:

If fact a guy just left that I spent over an hour with doing so. I stopped working on a client's project to do so. And the guy I was mentering has never spent a dime in my shop. :roll:

In March and April I am giving six 2 hour pro bono classes on drag racing by request at Bradley Univercity in Peoria. :wink:

As far as being known-It may not be 1990 -but still today- Beswick nor I can't even get through a trade show to see things because of people stopping us and talking to us. And when we appear somewhere even today we sign countless autographs and still sell many shirts. :roll:

As far as working at 66. You would be suprised how many times while working the tech line I hear, "Are you him? Aren't you Animal Jim?" And how many times I have given autographs and signed my name on race cars in tech line.
I have even heard rumors that some of my co workers think I spend too much time with the racers in tech line. A lot of that time spent is good will and trading info. I not only give advise-but I ask questions too and learn a lot from those guys and gals. :wink:
Last edited by animal jim on Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It has been quite a ride!

stimpy

Postby stimpy » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:56 pm

maybe , I did miscontrue the point , as sometimes trying to say something on the net does get garbled up in the meaning of what one says , if it was a continuing customer sometimes they too don't really know , but still I now it bothers me to a point too , like people who assume what I do for a trade makes me a idiot ,but don't know my educational background , it pays the bills very well for me thats why I do it . if I had the choice I would rather be doing what I went to school for 4 years . but still I have people doubt me , like in your case , I have to say thans for going to share your knowledge to the crowd out there ( next time tell the kid that your doing this( drag race101 ) so he will learn from an authority not a journalist ) too Bad you can't do this at 66 sometimes as I know alot of the guys need it . sorry If it came off the wrong way Aj . hope to see you at the track this year to introduce myself ( every time I go up to meet you , you run away :shock: .
the Groom that went Vroom At DLN IV

Bret Kepner

Postby Bret Kepner » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:01 pm

Having operated a Drag Racing School for fourteen years, I can attest to Aminal's scenario. Sometimes, it's just plain funny.

Signed,

Confirmed Blowhard.
Bret Kepner
http://www.bretkepnerphotos.com
BRETKEPNER@Prodigy.net
Saint Louis, Missouri, USA

Return to “What's Up”