Marion County FC Nationals

Check in with your pals daily. What's on your mind?
Diana The Doc
Re: Marion County FC Nationals

Postby Diana The Doc » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:31 am

There's no denying that the Marion race is generating a good buzz among the nostalgia drag racing community... "Mother Nature" behaved herself to a degree, she certainly has a habit of messin' with races held in August by either creating oppressive heat or monsoon type precipitation... Looking at all the cars that showed up, you definitely had a healthy car count in the pits and on the strip... I see that a few locals from my neck of the woods made the tow to Ohio, including Bob Rosetty with his "Tweety's Rat" Vega and "Rollin' Stoned" 'Cuda, and of course the undisputed king of low-buck showmen, Willie Johnson and his "No Money No Funny" Nova... It's refreshing to see lots of high quality photos were taken, I understand that lately there's been some sort of backwards marketing strategy in the N/FC scene, that discourages photographers from snappin' pics of these cars for press coverage and posterity, I don't get that at all (duh!)... Gee, almost all the Funny Cars that came out for ETown's Nostalgia Summernationals/Funny Car Reunion also made tracks to Ohio for this event... And of course the "Solid Rock" 'Stang and all the cars of the Great Lakes Nostalgia Funny Car Circuit appear to be pristine and strong performers... I salute everybody who worked to make Marion a midwestern mecca for Nostalgia racing... "The Doc" (Celebrity Drag Racing Authority & Visionary)...

my daily drag racin' blog...
http://www.dragracingunderground.com/~d ... &Itemid=27

Please Support Nostalgia Drag Racing at Your Local Strip...
THE MOST READ FEMALE BLOGGER ON THE DRAG RACING INTERNET. THANKS TO YOU. I LOVE Y'ALL FOR THAT!

pro70z28

Postby pro70z28 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:33 pm

That's the first I've heard of anyone being denied taking pics. of NFC's. Most (owners, drivers, crew) go out of their way to thank the photog's for taking the time to document the events.
15th Annual DRAGLIST Nationals Sometime in 2020. Somewhere in the USA.

Diana The Doc

Postby Diana The Doc » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:25 am

It wasn't the car owners, drivers, or crews discouraging photo and press attention, they've got brains and know better than to do that... It's the policy of drag strip/promoter interlopers (and that's all I'm sayin' concerning that)... All the many good folks that I know from the N/FC scene are happy to have their cars photographed for the sake of publicity & posterity... I admire and respect ALL the hard-working photographers who endure the heat, humidity, and even the occasional safety risk that comes with shooting drag racing from close proximity-- Many of these drag racing photographers do this kind of hard labor on their own dime, and they don't receive the sort of monetary benefits that photographers of other more "mainstream" sports do... It's a shame that many elderly veteran drag racing photographers, the guys who captured all the memories of drag racing's "golden era" (1960's and 1970's) are practically broke and don't have anything to show for their efforts (except of course, stacks and stacks of old dusty photographs)... Oh well, it would sure be nice if the sport showed more respect for those who bother to capture all its memories on film (or on a digital photo card these days)... I'm just glad that some folks did photograph the action at the Marion County Funny Car Nationals and were considerate enough to share 'em with us here on the web-- I know for a fact that I speak for countless others when I say that I'm very grateful for those photographers, who did that for both the benefit and enjoyment of the racers and the many fans... We all appreciate what you do, we really do... And of course we appreciate all you dedicated nostalgia racers... "The Doc" (Celebrity Drag Racing Authority & Visionary)...

Today's blog... I SALUTED "THE GOLDEN GREEK" BY EATING A GYRO AT THE COUNTY FAIR... LUCAS OIL FOLLOWS MY LEAD WITH SPONSORSHIP DEAL... OPA!! OPA!!...
http://www.dragracingunderground.com/~d ... &Itemid=27

Please Support Nostalgia Drag Racing at Your Local Strip...
In memory of Rick Stambaugh. He was one of the "good guys" of the N/FC scene...
THE MOST READ FEMALE BLOGGER ON THE DRAG RACING INTERNET. THANKS TO YOU. I LOVE Y'ALL FOR THAT!

Zappy

Postby Zappy » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:52 pm

[quote="pro70z28"]That's the first I've heard of anyone being denied taking pics. of NFC's. quote]

Same here Pro.

Diana are you sure anyone was denied??? I know several Photogs that were there, spoke with 3 of them, none mentioned any problems about taking pics. I know you were not able to be there yourself, so maybe you were misinformed, or perhaps someone misunderstood something. :?: :?:
I just can't imagine WHY anyone would object to pics. :?: :?:

respectfully, Zap

Zappy

Postby Zappy » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:07 pm

Oh, ok Wheelz. I thought she was refering to some kinda photo ban at Marion. I never been to Atco.

Chris Gerber

Postby Chris Gerber » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:02 am

I think Diana is talking about the Funny Car show At Atco last year that was limited to a few photographers. Maybe, maybe not? :D
There are so many people that were there that I would have liked to have met. The next time you're on the same property, please try to find me and introduce yourself.

23t

Postby 23t » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:37 pm

Wheelz, you and Sharon are very welcome and glad that we could help out!!

LOL!! It was kind of neat to see the smile on that boys face!! 8) I felt just as excited as that boy when Rocky ask if we could help him!! :shock: 8) Gettting to drive the tow rig!! Then getting to steer the Funny as it was towed back to the pits!! 2 times!! :shock: 8) :D !!! Note.... they didn't have to ask me the second time!! Oh man, thanks Rocky!! :D :D

Chris, we walked by your pit many of times but you looked busy and didn't want to bother you. That is one bad looking Camaro!! 8) 8) Can't wait to see it in color!! Next time we will stop and interupt you! And at least say hi if nothing else!!

It was hot but we had a great time!!!! Thanks to Denny, Mark, Kelly and to all the drivers and crews!!!!!!

Solid Rock

Postby Solid Rock » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:29 pm

I think Diana is talking about the Funny Car show At Atco last year that was limited to a few photographers. Maybe, maybe not? :D

I believed you are right, wheelzman. That is when they were originally referred to as "riff raff".

Daryl, Your help was greatly appreciated. It made it a lot easier on Jim and Scuba Steve not to have to deal with the truck.

Thanks you.

Return to “What's Up”