Cordovas World Series

Check in with your pals daily. What's on your mind?
assassinwebdesign
Cordovas World Series

Postby assassinwebdesign » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:04 pm

Well My brother and I set out for the fabled grounds of Cordova dragway park on Thursday evening. We arrived at about 8 pm to just set up camp and hang with our funny car friends. After setting up camp I get a phone call from the wife telling me Ole rapid needs me to call him asap. I thought to myself what has rapid gotten himself into this time. He was on his way and wanted to park there rig before heading to the motel but the track was going to be closed by the time he gets there. I run the message down to the track manager(TAZ) and give him rapids cell number and they talk and tazz stays a hour extra so rapid can park.

So we decided to take a stroll down the pro pits and arrived at a "Meeting" in front of Anthony bronge trailor. Doc halliday was there telling stories that spanned more decades then I have been alive for. It was one of the coolest parts of the whole weekend for me and racing hadn't even got underway. Doc is one of the funniest guys I have ever in my life had the pleasure of meeting. A Lot of the stories he told can not be repeated on a family forum. My side is still hurting as I laughed harder then I think I ever had. I am really glad Doc is still out here and racing.

Now on to the funniest guy I have ever met PERIOD. Anthony Bronge's dad is just one of them guys you want to hang with 24/7 . When you get him and Doc going at the same time your in for a great time. Anthony as many know is a real intense guy. His dad however is the most relaxed "Chill" person on the property. After a little bit of hanging out and bsing Rapid shows up and the BS session hits high gear. Next thing I know its 2 am and everyone is still busting each others balls and having a good time. We decide we have had enough fun for the night and hit the hay for some sleep...

Friday morning we get some breakfast and hit the funnycar pits. Everyone is working and getting ready for the afternoon festivities. I am trying to hang out but not do much of any work..lol There are funny cars everywhere. 15 cars on the property with 14 competing and one making licensing runs. A couple cars go up early for a test hit to make sure everything is in working order as friday's night session is supposed to be the one lap to provide the best chance of great times..

Jerry newman is tuning five cars at this event. I consider Jerry a friend so of course i give him all kinds of sh*t about only having one of the Jerry's kids cars in the fives so far. Well in first round Q Doc is paired up with his team car the Showtime with Brian stewart at the wheel. The telstar rips off a 5 and so does Brian. Well not so fast The showtime headers hit the timing cone so they throw out his five. Paul romine rips off his usual killer time with a 5.84 and goes to the top of the charts.

The blue max team finally gets the car to act like its supposed too with a killer 6.01 et. Well not so fast once again. Apparently they had steel rotors on the car and the rule requires Carbon fiber. One of the teams being the great awesome guys that they are brought this to the attention of the powers that be so the Blue max cars run was thrown out. Come to find out they have two rear ends one with steel and one with CF. Somehow the wrong one was put in...Not to worry they switched to the other rear end and were good to go the rest of the weekend. The bump after first round was a respectable 6.27

Saturday first round Q was in the blazing heat and track temp was around 130 and the corrective was around 2700 or so. Not the best conditions in the world for nitro funny cars.
John hale dropped a bomb on us. He ripped off a stout 5.77 which had everyone on the property stunned. No one saw that coming and it set both ends of the track record with a 249 mph speed to boot. Thinking that's going to be about it for great runs we were surprised with yet another when the blue max with CF brakes rip's off a 5.82 , The showtime shows its run from last night wasn't a fluke with a 5.97, with Anthony Bronge in the punisher running a 5.94 of his own...

After Qualifying was over the bump was a stout 6.09 with only the #7 and #8 cars not in the fives. I was personally amazed at the way the guys stepped up there game...

First round time

The showtime is paired against the killer car of the Texan john hale. The showtime runs a 5.93 to john hales 5.94 but Hale had put a small hole shot on him and took the win.

Next pair up pitted paul romine against the twin town shaker. The twin town car broke a throttle cable on the burnout but staged up in hopes of Paul red lighting or something crazy happening. Well paul being the veteran he is cut a decent light and ripped off a 5.79 for the win and backs up his earlier 5.84 to set the new DRO et record.

Doc was facing off with the blue max in this round. Ronny young left on doc and was way out in front till half track when something happened to the car and Doc went cruising past with a 6.43 et to take the win..

The last pair in the first round pitted the Punisher FC VS the Candies & Hughes gang.. Mike savage left on Anthony Bronge but bronge caught up at the stripe for the closest race of the weekend..

Bronge, Anthony 0.087 5.921 240.17 X
Savage, Mike 0.081 5.933 241.28

Semi Final time

Paul Romine in the man o war mustang faced off with the John Hale in the burkhart camaro . Paul runs a killer 5.79 but John hale decided that the 5.77 wasn't good enough for him so they set the car on kill and blasts off an amazing 5.67 at 251 mph pass. There wasn't a single person on the property still sitting after that run. With that jaw dropping run john hale had officially put the rest of the class on notice he was there to take this win.

Doc is set to take on the Punisher of the Bronge family. Doc has some trouble and Anthony blast down the quarter mile with a ET of 5.82 his career best but they had a rod bolt break in the lights and would not be able to make it back for the final round giving John Hale the solo for the World Series championship

In the final they had the car set on kill. The car wheelied and john gave up on the pass avoiding any catastrophe. John hale was definatly the class of the field all weekend and big congrats goes out to him and his crew...

Iowa Al

Re: Cordovas World Series

Postby Iowa Al » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:22 pm

Great post Shane!
Would have loved to be there for "storytime."
IA Al

draglist
Site Admin

Postby draglist » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:59 pm

Great post Shane. Thanks for the great report! bp
Bill Pratt
Draglist.com - Crowdsourced drag racing history.
Headlines and Results: http://www.draglist.com/
Drag Lists: http://www.draglist.com/draglist/draglist.php

pro70z28

Postby pro70z28 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:31 pm

Good to see you yesterday Shane. There were a bunch of DragListers there yesterday.
15th Annual DRAGLIST Nationals Sometime in 2020. Somewhere in the USA.

draglist
Site Admin

Postby draglist » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:46 pm

Glad to hear that!!! bp
Bill Pratt
Draglist.com - Crowdsourced drag racing history.
Headlines and Results: http://www.draglist.com/
Drag Lists: http://www.draglist.com/draglist/draglist.php

pro70z28

Postby pro70z28 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:42 pm

I FINALLY got to meet Eric Carlson. Vulgar Display of Power went some rounds. 8) 8) 8)
15th Annual DRAGLIST Nationals Sometime in 2020. Somewhere in the USA.

assassinwebdesign

Postby assassinwebdesign » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:35 pm

I almost forgot that Erik won the quick 8 friday night.. Congrats again bud....

Rapid Randy Baker

Postby Rapid Randy Baker » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:49 pm

Great write up! Thanks for sharing. 8)

Rapid
NITRO PILOT

[url]http://.www.rapidrandy.net[/url]

Big Erik

Postby Big Erik » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:38 pm

great write up we had a great series my dad has run a bunch of them and even was runner up a couple times, it was great to ge tto win it!!....when i was a little kid I didn;t get to see my dad much but i always got to go to the World series and see him race.. when iw as 10 or so i told my mom I wanted to win the World series someday.....for all of us local guys this is our Indy even today win the series and YOU HAVE DONE SOMETHING!!...you are forver in the books as a world series winner!!!.......along side guys like Animla Jim, The farmer, the snake, tom hoover, ivo, the Greek....the list of big names that have won here is endless..and to most of them it is still a pretty big deal..I haven't been able to get my dad to go for the last few years but this year I kinda made him I think he had a good time...we met all of our goals for thr weekend and then some...I didn;t wanna run the bracket race as it is HUGE and not all that fun too hectic......so i wanted to get in the show both days......and that we did qualified #3 for the quick 8, and won the race saturday iw anted to try and get into the quick 16 the quick 8 was doorcars only the q16 is the quickest 16 cars there dragsters included..that was harder but i squeeked it into the show #16....one of three doorcars to get in!!..I had a bad light in the first orund and lost to the eventual winner Lane Dicken but it was a BLAST..I didn;t hear any of it but everyone said the crowd went nuts when i won as did Kepner....VERY COOL!!!..and my dad , wife and father in law were all there ......I got to see some of the guys didn't get to see Animal dad talked to him and he said he was upset enough he quit!! i know he'll be back at least I hope he is!!..and hey AJ if yer tired of racing the ole farmer....I'd be honored to line up with ya and i am a man of my word my car will only run 7.60's and i'll run it out the back door not shut it off at 800' 8) .......anyway had a great day hope i didn;t steal the thread....ERIK
I'm everything they say i am......I'm so bad......Baby i don't care!!!

Mr. Jean

Postby Mr. Jean » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:43 pm

Great read guys. Thanks 8)
Jean Muntifering
#7897 Comp.
Old Comp Racer

Return to “What's Up”