58th Annual World Series of Drag racing

Check in with your pals daily. What's on your mind?
pro70z28
58th Annual World Series of Drag racing

Postby pro70z28 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:50 pm

Awhile back I had to replace a computer and upgrade OS on the others so my movie software is in need of upgrading. (I placed the order today). When it comes in I'll edit & post some stuff from the weekend here, so check back later for updates.

Jeff & I left around 8am Saturday morning & headed for the 58th annual World Series of Drag Racing. Got there around 10:30am. I had a little lettering to do on Rapids NFC so we pulled in the pit side hoping to find a parking spot in the packed pit area, so we wouldn't have to lug all the sign stuff from the specataor side. Not only did we find a spot, but the pit staff moved caahs so we could park near Rapid's pit just south of the "WORLD SERIES OF DRAG RACING " sign. Unfortunately, Randy wounded the engine on the Friday pass, and wouldn't be making another lap, so we held off on the vinyl stuff until later in the day (cooler).
We walked down to Rocks pit, talked with him for awhile and looked over the Alky Indian Pro Mod. All Pontiac turbocharged. We found the Midwest Super Stock Mafia group & talked with Dennis a little, and we even FINALLY tracked down Erik Carlson and his Vulgar Display of Power bubble top Chevy and talked with him awhile. We've been at some of the same tracks in the past but never seemed to be in the same place at the same time.
One of the highlights of the weekend was sending our new GoPro camera down the track with none other than Animal Jim & the original ZEKE. Video coming with the upgrade. :oops:
For any of you that are familiar with Cordova, the stands, fence line and anyplace else you could stand was packed on both sides of the tack Saturday night. The pits were full all the way back to the tree line and all the way down to the sand trap. I've never seen it quite that full before, even though it is always a busy weekend.
The Cordova staff I think did an outstanding job keeping things orderly & the show moving along. Given the choice to revisit a national event again or this weekend I'd take this weekend without a doubt.

Oh, and we left about 11:30 or so, right when the last pair of jets were ready to head down the track. We were the first vehicle to be stopped by the police. (again for those unfamiliar with the track, the highway runs fairly close to the staging lanes & burnout box. When the jets run, they have to stop traffic). I stopped short, but the police waved us forward as far as he could so we could get a last video of the day. He even asked if we could see well enough or of we needed to move forward a little more to get a good shot. That was a cool perspective I have never witnessed before. Got it on video too, and I'll post in when I can.

It was an outstanding day.
Last edited by pro70z28 on Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
15th Annual DRAGLIST Nationals Sometime in 2020. Somewhere in the USA.

pro70z28

Re: 58th Annual World Series of Drag racing

Postby pro70z28 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:57 pm

Forgot to mention we ran into Leon and talked with him for awhile. Hope to see him & Lippy at a track next year.

pro70z28

Postby pro70z28 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:03 pm

.................and how could I forget. Got my pic. taken with BIG. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Last edited by pro70z28 on Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

draglist
Site Admin

Postby draglist » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:10 pm

Sounds like a great day, Gary. When I went to the 50th, it was one of the best races I ever attended. bp
Bill Pratt
Draglist.com - Crowdsourced drag racing history.
Headlines and Results: http://www.draglist.com/
Drag Lists: http://www.draglist.com/draglist/draglist.php

Rapid Randy Baker

Postby Rapid Randy Baker » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:48 pm

Great seeing all the friends and getting some finishing touches added to our race car. 8)

Rapid
NITRO PILOT

[url]http://.www.rapidrandy.net[/url]

pro70z28

Postby pro70z28 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:09 pm

http://pro70z28.smugmug.com/Other/World ... 84_B5dcDNx

Good seeing you again too Rapid.

Trial account,
See if this works.
A few still shots.
Last edited by pro70z28 on Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zappy

Postby Zappy » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:35 pm

Pro, I see BIG was there with TWO cars...(FED + A/SA ) .....did he make a pass in either of them???

pro70z28

Postby pro70z28 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:43 pm

Pro, I see BIG was there with TWO cars...(FED + A/SA ) .....did he make a pass in either of them???

I didn't see him run but I did hear Bret announce his pass Saturday afternoon in the Dodge. Bret said that was his worst reaction time of the weekend...............What was his worse reaction time you ask? It was an .01 something. :shock: I told Jeff, I think he still "has it". :D

Zappy

Postby Zappy » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:23 pm

a .019 or better you say......OH YES!!! BIG "STILL HAS IT" allright

Return to “What's Up”