Gibbs is out for 3 grams?

Check in with your pals daily. What's on your mind?
animal jim
Gibbs is out for 3 grams?

Postby animal jim » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:32 pm

:shock: I fail to see how a 522 gram rod instead of 525 grams would be any performance advantage. :roll: Even if all 8 were 522 grams, a performance advantage would be a stretch. 8) I am curious what the rest of the rods did weigh. I would guess 525 plus 1 for good measure. I know mine would. :wink:

How could the person in charge of engine balance not catch that. :?: He may be a greeter at Wall-Mart by now :lol:
It has been quite a ride!

draglist
Site Admin

Re: Gibbs is out for 3 grams?

Postby draglist » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:55 pm

Wow. I didn't know it was that little... bp
Bill Pratt
Draglist.com - Crowdsourced drag racing history.
Headlines and Results: http://www.draglist.com/
Drag Lists: http://www.draglist.com/draglist/draglist.php

Andamo

Postby Andamo » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:28 pm

In 2009 Carl Long was fined $200,000 for a engine that was 0.17 cubic inches too big ! I'm all for rules, but these kind of penalties go beyond sanity. It almost seems like fines are money generators for NASCAR. Another reason why I don't follow or watch it anymore.
Be kind to whomever you meet, because everyones fighting some kind of battle.

jimbo17

Postby jimbo17 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:19 am

My question would be who built the engine that did not catch this problem and do they still have a job?

Guy's were talking about professional engine builders who this every day of every week and write down every weight of every part they use so they have a book on each engine. Anyone think they don't know the exact weight of each crankshaft they use?

The other problem I have is that at most tracks in the country if you are found to be illegal you are gone!!!!!!!!!! No one say's look the motor is illegal but we will let you keep the win if you can pay us a fine of $500.00 dollars.

Nascar has some very strange rules such as the lucky dog rule which to me is crazy because if you are not fastest enough you should not be out there racing.

Can you image the World of Outlaws having a lucky dog rule!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jimbo

Jack Redd

Postby Jack Redd » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:59 pm

The Carl Long deal was the biggest joke of NASCAR. Too fine a low budget team like that was
just plain stupid. As the Hall of Fame. Over 60 years of racing with only 5 per year inducted.
Jack Approved!

jimbo17

Postby jimbo17 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:21 am

Jack:

Your comment:

The Carl Long deal was the biggest joke of NASCAR. Too fine a low budget team like that was
just plain stupid. As the Hall of Fame. Over 60 years of racing with only 5 per year inducted.

I agree with you but NASCAR runs the show and it's their sand box and that's just the way they run the show.

Ever notice how vocal some of the drivers are when they are getting near the end of their careers?

It' funny because most of them realize that if you want to race in NASCAR you better not get to vocal or you will be back in the ARCA Series.

The whole NASCAR program is like a traveling circus and the drivers are the performers and if they don't like the way things are run they will find themselves on the outside looking in.

There is a long list of drivers who crossed NASCAR and learned the hard way what happens next.

How many drag racers tried their hand at owning a NASCAR car team only to walk away from NASCAR.

Just my opinion. Jimbo

animal jim

Postby animal jim » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:09 am

And to think. It all started with running moonshine over 60 years ago. :D They had rules then. Only more severe. See the movie: "Lawless" based on book : "The Wettest County In The World" Read the book too. Based on real happenings. :wink: 8) It takes place in the 20s and 30s. Parts will remind you of Thunder Road's story line. Especially the beginning. :o
I wonder if Robert Mitchim knew that history and wrote a 50s version. :?: 8)
It has been quite a ride!

Return to “What's Up”