Beswick at World Series

Check in with your pals daily. What's on your mind?
animal jim
Beswick at World Series

Postby animal jim » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:21 pm

BP told on my E-mail Arnie ran 7.23 Friday at Cordova World Series. How did he do Sat. ? Tim M. told me while I was working at the RT.66 Classic event the week before that Arnie made 3 good runs at the Pontiac show at Norwalk a while back. 8) I was glad to hear that.

Lot of people were negative after Beswick hit the wall at Cordova in May. Some boasted to me they were going to get his NHRA license revoked. That he was too old--getting senile? I said, "BULL CRAP! I have seen 30 year old drivers do stranger things." And kill people doing them." "Like doing a burnout with a funny car in the spectator area--and mowing down and killing some spectators!" Yes that really happened--and it was a big name driver.

I was glad when I saw Arnie The Farmer's name on the WS flyer. Apparently the self acclaimed critics change their minds about getting Beswick's license revoked.

I was glad to hear from Tim and BP that Arnie is running good. :)

Last year when Arnie and I were booked as usual for the 2012 WS ,our names were not even on the flyer! :shock: :roll: Arnie and I had been reduced to: "AND MORE!" :roll: I would like to think, my bitching about that is why Cordova made sure Beswicks name was on the flyer. Why pay us to come and not list us. And how do you explain that to the fans that ask why. It is f---ing embarrassing--I' tell you that! People ask me all year long if I am going to be at the World Series. Fans from everywhere. Even people on the east coast. :wink: I had to disappoint lot of fans this year.

8) :D But--on the bright side I have been working on the Big Animal. Got the 427 Tunnel Port on a stand to freshen up. I have all new stainless valves. Hopefully only need to polish crank , re hone cylds, Massage valve seats and guides, new valve springs and 10 degree light wt. monal steel Comp Cam retainers. (Retainers on heads yet are still anodized alum. :shock: ) New rings and bearings, timing set? ( hopefully the Crower roller and lifters are ok. Have not got that far yet. )The two 660 Center Squirter Holley's will need rebuilt. I will install all new gaskets of course. I only had one orig type 427 steel .025 head gasket. Got it off E-bay couple years ago. $30. Asked on Ford FE Message Board. Pleasant Ford on East Coast had one. Sold it to me for $20.

I Cleaned up and detailed the old Lakewood Bell housing yesterday. Will need a new clutch. My clutch combo in the day was a secret weapon. :wink: I used a 11" Savage HP Street Pressure plate coupled to a Hayes organic solid hub Pro Stock disc. That let the clutch slip just enough for that heavy car and help with smoother power shifts. My shifts were so smooth people thought it was an automatic trans. They were astounded when they looked at the car and saw was a stock Ford Top Loader 4 speed and a Competition Plus Hurst--not a Super Shifter. I called my clutch set up a Poor Man's Slider "The car still hauled the wheels and shifted just firm enough. I really could not feel it slip in the gear changes per say.

The air gap had to be adjusted every few runs as the disc rapidly wore. After two events-(12 to 20 runs) I would replace the disc. The next time I would replace the PP also. My friend Jim Naramore of Jim's Racing Enterprises in East Peoria was helping me out in that department. (You can use a lesser PP with a better disc. But not the other way around of course. )

When Ram came out with thier new 3 Paddle "Cleaning Lady" They talked me into trying one in my 2 ton Big Animal . The shifts were so violent my dome light lens fell down and screws came loose on my interior trim. Tried a second run--The Cleaning Lady Cleaned my drive shaft out of the car. :roll: It was back to my Poor Man Slider. And of course I had it with me --and new U Joints. :lol:

My Hayes 35# steel flywheel needs some dressing--but not bad.

Still lots to do to be ready for a few outings in 2014. Cosmetically everything looks just like it did in 79. Big has always been kept in a favorable environment. Need new tires, batteries, legal fuel lines (not 25 feet of Gates rubber hose LOL!)
Last edited by animal jim on Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
It has been quite a ride!

pro70z28

Re: Beswick at World Series

Postby pro70z28 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:15 pm

It was a great weekend, although not the same without A.J. on the grounds. This photo would have been better with Zeke in the tower lane.

I have only seen the Big Animal in photos, so I'm really looking forward to next year.
15th Annual DRAGLIST Nationals Sometime in 2020. Somewhere in the USA.

draglist
Site Admin

Postby draglist » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:16 pm

Hi Jim. Arnie did well and got a huge crowd reaction, but the guy in the Firebird -- Chris Shenuk, who did a good job -- was NOT Animal Jim. He was a good racer with a relatively standard, late model 8.0 nitrous Firebird and that frankly was not a name racer of the level that should have been racing the legendary Arnie Beswick. The racer that should have been racing Arnie was the legendary Animal Jim Feurer! The match reminded me of the old wrestling TV shows of the 60s and 70s, where an unknown guy (a 'jobber') would face off against a big name and and you knew he would lose, despite giving a valiant effort. You didn't really get to see two 'name' wrestlers face off on TV... you had to pay to go to the arena for that... but we WERE at the arena, and we should have seen a star racing against a star. That was really the only blip in a pretty magnificent show (in terms of who was racing). Arnie did not do as well performance wise on Saturday. Both cars got out of shape on the first match and Arnie was able to pull off a 9 second win over Chris's 10.18. In the final, Arnie again was riding a bucking bronco but pulled even with Shenuk at the top end... but Chris was able to get a holeshot win, 8.04 to 8.03. As much as I hate to say it, I'm not entirely sure that my wrestling analogy was not true in terms of how the match came out... In that first round on Saturday, it seemed that Shenuk did everything but put it in reverse to stay behind Arnie when Beswick had handling problems. But that is just what I saw from my vantage point. I have absolutely NO knowledge of him doing anything but putting forward his best effort. One thing I will say is that Arnie Beswick is a huge star at Cordova. When he lit the win light on that come from behind win in the first found on Saturday, the crowd roared more than they did for any other win of the weekend. But it wasn't the same without AJ in the other lane. bp
Bill Pratt
Draglist.com - Crowdsourced drag racing history.
Headlines and Results: http://www.draglist.com/
Drag Lists: http://www.draglist.com/draglist/draglist.php

animal jim

Postby animal jim » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:49 am

8) Thanks BP. Well said about Beswick. About the wrestling. I had an old aunt that lived with us in Peru, IL. when I was a child. Aunt Ann loved wrestling. Took it very serious. We would watch it every Sat. night. Channel 9 from Chicago sponsored by Foreman Motors. This was the Vern Gagne SR. Champion days. Also Yukon Eric, The Bruiser, Haystacks Calhoun, Pomperal Phurple The Mad Dog From The Pampas ( He would file his teeth during interviews and clack them together. , Argentine Roca , a very young Dusty Rhoades SR. etc.

There was a old wrestler that was also a part time ref. they would match with an unbeatable star. His name was Scrap Iron Kadaski. He would do his best--but end up beat to crap.

What is ironic--my mother in law loved wrestling too. She reminded me of my great Aunt Ann. :o

Watching those wrestlers is where I learned to be Animal Jim. In 1985, booked into Lawrence Kas. I donned a pair of Pink Sunglasses I had found outside my shop on the ground. When I walked to starting line to check the track--Ron Leak -of Byron was announcing. My hair was still real long on the sides. Ron announces as I walk out--"Here he is folks The Drag Racing Federation of Drag Racing's Star, Animal JIM!!" Can't you just here Ron telling :lol: that?

I saw the reaction--and I kept the image going.
Last edited by animal jim on Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

draglist
Site Admin

Postby draglist » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:19 am

That is great, Jim! And what we need a bit more of... Leek was at Cordova doing a bit of announcing with Bret at one point. He was great. I'm not sure I ever heard him announce before, but I'm told he really could get the crowd into it. Bill
Bill Pratt

animal jim

Postby animal jim » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:05 pm

8) Along with Bret Ron is one of the best. He is one who gave Broadway his name. Another great announcer is Bob Fink. He ran Wentzville and did AHRA in the 70s and 80s. Sometimes with Bret.

Bret as you know was a big asset to the USSC. :wink:

draglist
Site Admin

Postby draglist » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:17 pm

Essential, I would say... it was the perfect package in so many ways. I actually found my t-shirt from the first season the other day. It fits again and I will wear it proudly at an event one of these days... bp
Bill Pratt

Return to “What's Up”