Cool Bus Ken Nelson

We celebrate those friends who enriched our lives before passing on.
23t
Cool Bus Ken Nelson

Postby 23t » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:03 pm

pro70z28

Re: Cool Bus Ken Nelson

Postby pro70z28 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:11 pm

R.I.P. Ken
15th Annual DRAGLIST Nationals Sometime in 2020. Somewhere in the USA.

Zappy

Postby Zappy » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:36 pm

So sorry to read this, Daryl I know Ken was your friend. I'm keeping both you and his family in my prayers,
I can't count the times I've enjoyed Kens outstanding preformance at Norwalk, what a show. Ken will truly be missed by many.

draglist
Site Admin

Postby draglist » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:14 pm

A very nice man who brought a message of hard work and optimism to young people who came to see him run.

Also the only drag racer in history to cite the drag lists to show how his relatively slow times on the list allowed the fans to see his machine longer during the run!

Farewell, Ken. I was proud to know you. Bill
Bill Pratt
Draglist.com - Crowdsourced drag racing history.
Headlines and Results: http://www.draglist.com/
Drag Lists: http://www.draglist.com/draglist/draglist.php

WildcatOne

Postby WildcatOne » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:07 am

That was a good man. I'm sure sorry to hear of this. I know he was a friend of yours, Daryl. God bless you and Ken's family. WC1
Life Is Good!
http://www.peeweebowenband.com
Support Live Music!

Diana The Doc

Postby Diana The Doc » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:38 pm

Took me awhile to figure out why I didn't see Ken's passing on the regular board, then remembered the Lost Friends section... I'll just paste what I wrote on my blog today, I thought maybe he was going to get better, thought there was hope he'd beat it, but unfortunately that' didn't happen-- It's no stretch of the written word to say that Ken was such a nice guy that you really do feel pretty darn bad to know he's gone... Here's from the blog... Ken Nelson passed away on Thursday after a bout with lung cancer. Ken was the builder and driver of the famed "Cool Bus School Bus" wheelstander, the exhibition vehicle that cleverly mimicked the appearance of a yellow "Bluebird" school bus, and carried the front wheels up in the air in spectacular fashion, complete with a trailing shower of sparks in its wake. The "bus" was arguably the most exciting and "in demand" wheelstander in the drag racing business. Some of you are aware that I knew Ken, and that I interviewed Ken a couple of times for our Drag Racing Underground dvds. Ken also graciously helped me with some work we did for Comedy Central's Daily Show, back when DRU and I used to do freelance stuff for them. Ken was a "bus driver" with a message, a message for kids to stay in school and try to live a clean lifestyle. I'm not exaggerating at all when I say that Ken was one of the nicest of gentlemen I've ever encountered in the drag racing world. He was always so graciously accommodating to the DRU crew and I, no matter what we requested of him (and we occasionally took up quite a bit of his valuable time)... Ken was a great sport... My sincere condolences to Ken's wonderful wife Anita and the Nelson family. We're really going to miss Ken Nelson at the drags. Those of us in the drag racing community will always remember Ken Nelson as being a stand-up guy with a stand-up wheelstander that triumphantly towered (literally and figuratively ) over everything else at the track...

I wish I had a pic more accessible today of Ken and me together, so you could see the man and his smile, but this is the best I could do... A pic of the "Cool Bus School Bus" at E'Town giving the fans in the stands their money's worth... I give Ken a lot of credit for building this "bus" and touring the nation as much as he did...
copyright DRU
THE MOST READ FEMALE BLOGGER ON THE DRAG RACING INTERNET. THANKS TO YOU. I LOVE Y'ALL FOR THAT!

Pappy1

Postby Pappy1 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:59 pm

R.I.P. Ken
http://www.manheimbodyandfab.com/

Novel-T

Postby Novel-T » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:22 pm

Sorry about your friend,Daryl
RIP Ken

23t