the flyin hillbilly raysun teem, and the old junk chevelle

Here's where our individual members can fill us in on their racing, car building, or other exploits.
Mr. Jean

Postby Mr. Jean » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:35 am

Your having some fun now. Sorry about the Tranny.
Jean Muntifering
#7897 Comp.
Old Comp Racer

draglist
Site Admin

Postby draglist » Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:00 pm

Congrats, HillBilly... great job. bp
Bill Pratt
Draglist.com - Crowdsourced drag racing history.
Headlines and Results: http://www.draglist.com/
Drag Lists: http://www.draglist.com/draglist/draglist.php

flyinhillbilly

Postby flyinhillbilly » Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:47 pm

the outing didn't start too good when i went to o'reilly auto parts and found out that the long haired pinhead that took my money and gave me a reciept didn't actually order my vht. :x we showed up a little late sice it's such a long drive for us, and upon arrival i heard that all the true radial cars were running in the 8's. then the little red nova pitted next to me pulled out and ran a 7.32 :shock: now for those who don't know, we are racing on 275/60/15 true radial tires, no slicks, no drag radials, so that is a pretty stout number. i finished installing the fuel pump that i'd brought to the track since one of my other ones dying. i went around and fueled up, pulled into lane 7 (7 and 8 were dedicated to true radial) and waited. i was paired with a pretty tough 80's malibu with a bottled 454 we got the signal to go in and i proceeded to do about a 300 foot burnout, i backed back up, and tried randy's waving to the crowd trick, but my windows are too dark, or they didn't care. :lol: i pre staged, hit the two step button and waited for the malibu to put on the stage bulb, he did and i went to wide open, my car pushed into the stage bulb, and i heard it building boost and glanced at the boost guage, 4psi, the malibu lit the stage light, just before my car pushed through and put out the pre stage light. at this point i was pulling back on the steering wheel as hard as i could, and giving the brake pedal all i have and was praying that the tree would come down before i pushed on through. i saw the stage bulb go out and i just let 'er eat it hooked super hard and layed back and flew, i was thrilled as this car usually makes it out about 40 feet and just blows the tires off of it. i came back around and the tech inspector was waiting for me at the et shack and informed me that i was leaking water. i had noticed that the car was hot after i let off at the finish line so i remembered that i had installed an electric water pump and flipped the switch :oops: . we cleaned all the water off everything and charged the batteries and i turned the two step down to about 2500rpm which was 1psi and pulled into lane 8 to get into the left lane and see if i could get down throught there. this time i was paired with a 72 malibu that runs a 505 naturally aspirated, and run's 6.50's on slicks. we pulled to the line, i triple checked the water pump switch, and we did side by side 300 foot burnouts. i noticed a whine when i put it in drive during the burnout, and just wrote it off to the sound of the malibu. i backed up, the track crew checked my car for leaks, and gave me the thumbs up. i waited for the malibu to light the pre stage bulb, then i rolled in and hit the two step again, the turbo was slowly starting to whistle, the stage light comes on in the other lane. i feather the brakes a bit and light my side. a flash of amber and we're gone.i see the malibu in my periphal vision, and then my car blows the tires off, a quick pedal job and i'm looking at him out my windshield, then side window, slam it in drive, and i don't see him anymore, but the rearend is howling like a gut shot banshee. i cross the stripe and come back around. i coule hear the rearend as i was coming up the return road. one of my guys had already grabbed the timeslip so i head back for the trailer. 7.27@102. i was feeling a little better about life now, we hooked up the battery charger, and i jumped on the mini chopper and went to bs with some friends of mine.

......................to be continued
the police never think it's as funny as i do

Rapid Randy Baker

Postby Rapid Randy Baker » Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:09 am

Great story!! Congrats on the 27!!! 8)
NITRO PILOT

[url]http://.www.rapidrandy.net[/url]

pro70z28

Postby pro70z28 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:52 am

Great report FH.
Waitin' for part II....the rear end story.... :oops:
15th Annual DRAGLIST Nationals Sometime in 2020. Somewhere in the USA.

Mr. Jean

Postby Mr. Jean » Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:01 am

Cool report. 8) And then....... :roll:
Jean Muntifering
#7897 Comp.
Old Comp Racer

jim sanders

Postby jim sanders » Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:58 am

:D 8) enjoying the story
GOOD TO GO !!
Uncle Curt Wasson album
[url=http://www.glowfoto.com/users2/gatorgumbo][img]http://www.glowfoto.com/siteimages/linktogallery.gif[/img][/url]

WildcatOne

Postby WildcatOne » Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:25 am

That was a great read, FHB, a great story. You're rocking out, man! WC1 :D
Life Is Good!
http://www.peeweebowenband.com
Support Live Music!

flyinhillbilly

Postby flyinhillbilly » Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:40 pm

in case you guys are wndering why i'm posting this a piece at at time, it's because my computer has been randomly shutting itself off, and i'm afraid of losing all the typing since i'm a two finger typer it takes a while. :oops:

anyway..... i came back over to shut the generator off, and i decided to crawl under the car and have a look around. that turned out to be a great idea since one of the bulkhead fitting had started leaking a pretty steady drip. :cry: there were 10 poeple that came with me counting my wife and two girls so i had plenty of help, and it's a dang good thing too since only one of the guys had small enough hands to be able to reach into the cell and hold the backside of the fitting so i could tighten it all the while laying in an ever increasing lake of sunoco 110. we got it all buttoned back up and headed back to lane 8 for one more test pass since most people were having trouble in that lane i wanted to be sure i had a handle on it. we got the signal to come down the hill, i fired up, and rolled through the water and i guess i was subconciosly taking out my aggression on the car for leaking. started smoking the tires, shift to drive, and i held it wide open and just let it fry the hides untill it was bouncing off the rev limiter which wound up being about 400 feet out once i got stopped. back up, wait for the pre stage bulb in the other lane, light mine, on the two step, the stage bulbs lit at almost the same time, a flash of yellow, and we're off. about 40 feet out it blew the tires off, i had let the track owner drive my car two weeks ago, and when it spun he stayed in it and it bit back and ran, so i just stayed in it. no dice, about the time it got bad sideways i lifted, let it come back straight and romped it again. i stuck it in drive and there was that nasty whine again, only worse. i ran it on out, and came back up the return road with the door open listening to the rear end. it was sounding bad at even 15mph. and it was time to start eliminations. i pulled around to the fuel station and replaced the fuel that had returned to the earth, and back to lane 7. first round i drew a 2001 s-10 blazer with a 6.0 and a pt76 on it owned by 417 motorsports. i had raced hime before and he always makes me earn it. we pulled to the water, and i kept the burnout to a minimum since it didn't seem to be helping my times.we roll to the tree, and he lights the pre stage bulb right away, and was headed for the stage bulb. i figure this was in retaliation for the last time we raced and i double bulbed him. :twisted: so i hit the two step, and just rolled into the second beam. the tree flashes and we're off, side by side.............................. untill about 40 feet out when (you guessed it) i smoked the tires, i pedaled it pretty quick and looked out my windshield where there was a pewter blazer about a lenght and a half aout in front of me :? i saw that i was starting to pull on him, and was doing my level best to will my car to run a little faster. i shove it in drive, and pull up next to him as i see the 1/8 cones getting closer. we cross the finish line pretty much side by side, and i see the win light come on in my lane. i wasn't really sure untill that point who had won.7.40 to a 7.44, but i had 7 mph on him. back to lane 7, hook up the jumper box, and wait to draw cards to see who i've got to race next.

to be continued again
the police never think it's as funny as i do

pro70z28

Postby pro70z28 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:08 pm

Great Story FH. I keep waitin' for the rear end to say enough is enough. :oops:
15th Annual DRAGLIST Nationals Sometime in 2020. Somewhere in the USA.

Return to “Super Crew Team Reports”