Murphys Romance Racing

Here's where our individual members can fill us in on their racing, car building, or other exploits.
greenracing

Postby greenracing » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:25 pm

just go to the race Murf. You'll get a couple time trials and first round out of it at least - gives you 3 t&t hits right there. A lot of the tracks around here have grudge racing stuff in the evenings during the week - sometimes we'll go to those - you can get several laps in.

just hate to see it sit in the garage when you've worked so hard to get it to this point.

WildcatOne

Postby WildcatOne » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:17 pm

Perry's right, Murff...that car is way too cool to just sit there...figure out a way to go out and make some laps...great car, man. Cheers, WC1
Life Is Good!
http://www.peeweebowenband.com
Support Live Music!

Murff

Postby Murff » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:23 pm

Man, youse guys are wearin' me down. I just wish I had a more 'racer friendly' racetrack up the road than the one I have. Maybe I just need to live on a better road.

The Totally Awesome Missus Murff sez it's up to me, run it or park it, she's Ok either way. I checked the five day forcast and there's no rain in sight all week, Friday is supposed to be mid 70's. Doesn't get much better than that.

Massaged timing a little this weekend, took it for another neighborhood spin, car definitely wants to run. Man, it sure slurps the alcohol tho'. Beginning to think an upgrade to a five gallon tank may be in order this winter, only have a 3.5 in it now. Wish I bought that drum of methanol when I was going to a month or so back.

So there's Friday night street legal and grudge racing at Pacific Raceways, don't know if I can T&T then or not. Pacific is 15 minutes from home. There's a T&T at Bremerton Raceway Friday night, that's about an hour away in rush hour traffic and they have a sound abatement rule in effect and I am unmuffled. Hate to show up at either one and get turned away. Or there's a regular points race Saturday night at Pacific, like Perry says that'd be good for three runs.

Awww, youse guys are wearin' me down, that's for sure.

Murff

draglist
Site Admin

Postby draglist » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:36 pm

Take it out, but wait until it's right and you're ready! We want safety and success! bp
Bill Pratt
Draglist.com - Crowdsourced drag racing history.
Headlines and Results: http://www.draglist.com/
Drag Lists: http://www.draglist.com/draglist/draglist.php

greenracing

Postby greenracing » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:05 am

3.5 gallon tank might be marginal if it's fat - especially if you drive it over and back. We burn about 3 gallons - but we push it to staging and push it back to the pits after the run. Then again I've got a blown motor that's slobbering all over itself :lol:

Like Bill said Murf - do what feels right and safe for you. We're just throwing out options!

Lippy

Postby Lippy » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:27 pm

Murff, here's another option. Haul the car out here to Ks and I'll run it for you and call you and report how it runs. Please bring a drum of alky also. Your pal Lippy. :lol: :wink:
If you think it's exciting now, wait till we start it.

Murff

Postby Murff » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:48 pm

Now THAT'S a helluvan offer Lippy, you really are a pal!

Err, didn't I see in your thread where you're trying to raise dough for gas money? Somehow I'm getting a mental image of the Kanasa Craigslist having a used Falcon fer sale.......

Alright, alright, I'll run the dam thing.

I did hear back from Bremerton today and they would actually like to have me run the car there on Saturday, so looks like that's gonna be the plan.

(Don't break it, don't break it, don't break it...)

Oops, did I say that out loud?

Murff
Peace, Love & Groovy Vibes

jim sanders

Postby jim sanders » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:52 pm

cool news !
GOOD TO GO !!
Uncle Curt Wasson album
[url=http://www.glowfoto.com/users2/gatorgumbo][img]http://www.glowfoto.com/siteimages/linktogallery.gif[/img][/url]

Pappy1

Postby Pappy1 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:27 pm

Great news Murff. I hope you know a full report is expected :lol:

Murff

Not the Report You All Were Expecting

Postby Murff » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:35 pm

The devil lurks in my garage.

So yesterday I fired the car up to test the MSD mag/tach signal converter (works) and the engine started climbing in rpm's, got to 5K and I shut it down. Took about 20 - 30 seconds for the revs to go up.

Checked throttle cable since that was the last thing I had touched, it was taut but not tight, Nothing binding, springs attached, hmmm. Fired it up again, same thing. Phooey. Pulled the hat and upper intake, found a gasket between upper and lower intake that was suspect. Since the symptoms seemed like a vacuum leak I thought AHA, Gotcha! Put it all back together last night but it was too late to test it.

Get home from work tonight, squirt some gas, fires up fairly easily. Idle is still a bit high, around 2500 but steady, not rising. I'm listening to the engine and I hear a bit of a tickety-tickety, random not rythmic. Ok, oil is ready to be changed anyway and probably time to readjust the valves.

Shut down, put it back into the garage and I pull the passenger side valve cover. Imagine my surprise (horror actually) to see both #1 rockers laying there doing nothing but maybe bothering #2 intake. Not good. Exhaust pushrod is up in the area it should be considering there was no rocker for it to run against, but the intake pushrod was just peeking up out of the head. Really not good.

Off comes the hat, intake etc. I find 1st that #1 chamber is full of methanol. Oh crap, bent rod. Then I realizes that no, the engine didn't lock because the valves weren't opening. Suck the alky out with the wife's turkey baster and continue to pull adapter plates and galley cover. #1 intake roller lifter is out of the bore and the pushrod is on the cam lobe.

It's the special moments like these that really make me miss the 70's and recreational narcotics.

Pretty sure I know how this happened, and once again I am my own devil. For some reason known only to my personal demon, I installed the galley cover, adapter plates and intake BEFORE I installed the pushrods. I think I must have missed the lifter cup and had the pushrod on the edge of the lifter when I set the lash. I noticed a bit of a miss on the initial fire up but again it wasn't regular, and I thought the throttle response was a bit lazy, too. Now I know the why of both.

So at this point I am out two pushrods, two Howards rockers, one pair of Howards lifters, and a custom grind cam, and gaskets of course. I am going to inspect it all very closely, but I believe the aggressive disassembly just occurred today as I can actually count the pocks in the cam from the pushrod. Cursory inspection of the lifters only showed scuffing on the sides, but they will get replaced.

All things considered, it could have been much worse. And, it ran pretty well for a 7 cylinder small block Ford.

This is one of those story's I would rather not tell, but wtf, I'm human. My attitude is good, me and the Missus are both disappointed but again, it could have been worse. I could beat myself up over this but that's what the internet is for. Others can beat me up for me.

I will order replacement parts in the coming weeks and do it all over again. And I will do my best, again.

See ya in the spring.

Murff

Return to “Super Crew Team Reports”