Murphys Romance Racing

Here's where our individual members can fill us in on their racing, car building, or other exploits.
Murff
Murphys Romance Racing

Postby Murff » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:12 pm

Can I start one of these too? I sure hope I don't have to have a really fast car with shiny paint. If I do then feel free to delete.

Mine is a '68 Falcon with a 351W Ford. It ain't purdy and that's for certain. But on the other hand, it ain't fast, either.

The quick history:

Started out with an '83 T-Bird for my son when he was 17. Back halfed and was going to get a 351C. He lost interest so I yanked the rear frame section and built a 2x3 mild steel frame for it and slid it under a '39 Studebaker Coupe body that I had. Two years into that and it was looking like at least another two years to go before it would make a pass. Got impatient, cut up the frame, saved what I could use, sold the rest and gave away the Studebaker. Picked up a bone stock rolling Falcon from craigslist for a couple hunnert bucks.

Got it to the track for the 1st time last summer. Never ran quite the way I thought it should, broke the engine a couple of times and now it's getting re-modeled for '08.

Here's a pic from just before I tore it down:

The engine was a .030 over 351W with a custom solid flat tappet cam, World iron heads, 11.25:1, Hookers, and an Enderle Bug Catcher with an 80A-0 belt driven pump. Studded and girdled mains, studded heads, etc.

I was trying to make this thing run on gas (c12) but never could get the tune right. Ran a best of 11.67 @ 113 with a 1.57 60'.

Pic of the engine:

So for '08 I'm making a few changes. Picked up a Vertex mag and am pitching the MSD. Raising compression to 13:1 with BRC pistons. Custom solid roller cam, new Lunati link bar lifters and roller rockers, dumping the gas and going to alcohol. There's a few other minor changes as well but that's the bulk of it.

28" x 9" Hoosiers, 4.11 gears, C4, 4000 Hughes, and Cal-Tracks under the leaf springs will remain unchanged.

Currently Spud Miller has my injection and mag and is getting those squared away for me, and I'm waiting for the Block Fill to set up so I can send the block in for machining.

If I get restless while I'm waiting I also have my nephews new car in the garage. He just picked up a '48 Topolino altered from a cat in Alaska.

It too needs a few things. I think it needs a tune up, the engine appears to be missing. Yuk yuk yuk.

Plans for it for '08 are to pull the 434 small block out of his '37 Chev and install in the Fiat while he starts on the big block.

Here's the '37 at Renegade Raceway in Yakima, WA. last summer, being driven by my son while he was home on leave:

My son and I actually got to stage up against each other later that night. Pretty cool, for me anyway.

Ok, that's me and my busy-ness for this winter. I've probably managed to emabarass myself and degrade the board with this post, after posting pics of the entire fleet. Just the chance I take I guess, but it is nice to have a place to journal some of this stuff.

Thanks for the bandwidth.

Murff
Peace, Love & Groovy Vibes

draglist
Site Admin

Postby draglist » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:31 pm

I LOVE IT! Of course, you can start one and just for the record, anybody on this forum who is involved with a car they love is automatically on the Super Crew and is encouraged to start a thread here. Your cars look fantastic, Murff, and they capture what hot rodding and drag racing is all about. Thanks. bp
Bill Pratt
Draglist.com - Crowdsourced drag racing history.
Headlines and Results: http://www.draglist.com/
Drag Lists: http://www.draglist.com/draglist/draglist.php

Rapid Randy Baker

Postby Rapid Randy Baker » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:44 pm

Murff,

I enjoyed reading it. Thanks for the info. 8)

Rapid
NITRO PILOT

[url]http://.www.rapidrandy.net[/url]

greenracing

Postby greenracing » Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:45 am

Nice looking collection you've got there Murf. Cool read - it's always neat to read what our fellow board members have got.

And don't be embarrassed about never quite getting it to run the way you want it to - it'll all come together with time. That's what they keep telling me anyway. As you've probably read - apparantly my time still hasn't come either. :lol:

Perry

Lippy

Postby Lippy » Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:45 am

Cool Murff!! 351 huh? :D Image
If you think it's exciting now, wait till we start it.

pro70z28

Postby pro70z28 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:32 am

Cool deal Murf. 8) 8) 8) 8) I like stories & Pics. Cool that you were able to line up against your Son.
15th Annual DRAGLIST Nationals Sometime in 2020. Somewhere in the USA.

Murff

Postby Murff » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:34 am

Lippy -

Yup, 351. As a metter of fact, when I made the decision to change to a mag, Leon offered me a base for the 351 and I'm pretty sure it was yours!

Next day I found a complete unit on ebay so I didn't need to start from scratch.

And I believe it was either you or Leon that was partially responsible for me getting onto hre.com from a conversation on hotrodders.com when I was trying to figger out how to get this Bugcatcher mounted to a tunnel ram.

As you can see, we came up with a mounting pretty similar to your 408.

Glad you guys were there and had gone down this less traveled path before.

Murff
Peace, Love & Groovy Vibes

racersforcoffee

Postby racersforcoffee » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:04 am

Murff,

I remember saying 'hi' and comp'ing you on that Falcon the last Weds. at Pacific. Brought a smile to my face a hundred feet away. Bill, you're right...it really does stand out in the lanes like a sore thumb, compared to the 'kit' cars surrounding it....and we do need more projects like this out there weekly. This is the stuff that first attracted me to bracket bashes...
The Free Market Of Ideas Works Both Ways

www.racersforcoffee.wordpress.com

jim sanders

Postby jim sanders » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:17 pm

great thread Muff! 8)
GOOD TO GO !!
Uncle Curt Wasson album
[url=http://www.glowfoto.com/users2/gatorgumbo][img]http://www.glowfoto.com/siteimages/linktogallery.gif[/img][/url]

Return to “Super Crew Team Reports”