Transmission Gremlin Forces DNQ for Matter's Season Opener

Here's where our individual members can fill us in on their racing, car building, or other exploits.
F/C Girl
Transmission Gremlin Forces DNQ for Matter's Season Opener

Postby F/C Girl » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:57 pm

LONG WEEKEND, This will explain it all. hope everyone is doing well!!!

:-)

BAYTOWN, Texas -- The Top Alcohol Funny Car Team of Nancy Matter had hoped for better results at the 21st Annual running of the O'Reilly Spring Nationals in Baytown this past weekend. The team, armed with a complete new arsenal of parts, was plagued with transmission issues for each pass keeping them from qualifying within the 16-car field.

"We made some significant changes in the fuel system prior to going into this race", stated Matter. "On the first pass, when the car launched, it shook and bounced around a bit but I opted to drive through it.  When I shifted, there was a delay in the 1-2 shift which resulted in the motor hitting the rev limiter forcing me to quickly lift to avoid any carnage."

"We serviced the car, double and triple checked everything and it appeared we were good to go for the second qualifier. Unfortnately, we experienced the same result at the same location on the track. At that point, we knew we'd already lost two mid to high 5.60 passes which would have qualified us well within the top half of the field."

The team worked many hours into the morning going through everything with a fine tooth comb for Saturday's third and final attempt. During the warm up, plagued with even more problems, they were forced to pull the bottom end, valve train and one head, change some rods and pistons, and reassemble everything. Since the Top Alcohol Dragsters had already been pulled to the lanes, Matter's team pulled together and completed all the necessary repairs in a mere 17 minutes, during which Matter suited up and was already strapped in the car and getting into the lanes with three pairs of dragsters left to run.

"Even though we suffered the same shifting problem during that third run which forced our DNQ, I was so proud of the guys for doing what they did", lamented Matter. "If there was ever an award for a Sportsman Team Mechanic Award, our team earned it that morning. It was quite amazing to witness. It would not have been possible if we had to remove the manifold and supercharger, but in this case, even though we fixed that issue, we still missed the boat somewhere in the drive train."

Matter's team has since disassembled everything at their shop in Austin, Texas, since the race. After numerous trouble shooting phone calls with Mike at B & J and Jackie Stidham, there is nothing visibly or physically wrong that can be found inside the drive train or transmission. The team is going to rebuild everything and try again next week at the second of six Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series Division 4 Event at Ennis, Texas.

Matter would like to thank her Team for their hard work and devotion, MSD, Mike Strausberg, Mike Pavia, Joe Monden, Tom Conway, Jimmy Jones and crew, Jackie Stidham, Clint Thompson, Hutch and Leif Andreasson.
Nancy Matter
Nancy Matter Racing, Inc.
http://www.nancymatterracing.com

Billy Mac

Postby Billy Mac » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:39 pm

:cry: for the non-qualifier

8) 8) 8) for the effort put in by the team!

Best of luck at the upcoming Div race!!
Long Live Draglist!
Thank You Vets
In God we Trust...(all others pay cash)
Billy Mac Signs-West/Pegasus Race Cars

F/C Girl

Postby F/C Girl » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:21 pm

thanks Billy, we already have the other billet in the car, and we're going to swap to our spare tranny, we'll fire it on Tues or Wed before heading out.

It was quite the weekend to say the least :-)
Nancy Matter

Novel-T

Postby Novel-T » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:39 pm

Sorry for the problems.Nancy.It will be better next time

draglist
Site Admin

Postby draglist » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:04 pm

Hang in there, Nancy. bp
Bill Pratt
Draglist.com - Crowdsourced drag racing history.
Headlines and Results: http://www.draglist.com/
Drag Lists: http://www.draglist.com/draglist/draglist.php

Rapid Randy Baker

Postby Rapid Randy Baker » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:06 pm

Sorry for the trouble Nancy. It sounds like you have a great group working on the car.

I am not in the league of those guys, but if you have checked the mechanicals of the trans and it is fine, here is what the dumb Iowa guy would look for. :roll:

I am assuming an air shifter. Find some way to check the pressure the regulater is putting out,,,not what it says it is supposed to, what does it actually put out?

Then I would look at all the air lines for a kink or blockage. Maybe check your line pressure right at the trans to verify.

Check your air tank pressure,,,dumb I know, but make sure you get a full and complete discharge from the bottle without any interuption.

Maybe the shifter block on the column has developed a crack and isn't putting a full charge to the trans.

Just some things that came to mind right off the bat to check. I am sure you guys have already check all this, but a delay sure sounds like a low pressure problem to me.

Good Luck,

Rapid
NITRO PILOT

[url]http://.www.rapidrandy.net[/url]

F/C Girl

Postby F/C Girl » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:26 pm

Hi Rapid, we did everything you suggested. The Supply lines, the feed lines, Everything. Took apart the coupler, the shifter block. None of the O-Rings had any problems, no kinks, no debris, no gualding on the spragues or planetaries, nothing burned which would be from low pressure and we even took apart the regulator. Nothing, NOTHING.

We had 3 conversations with jackie and the more we told him, the stranger the solution became. we were on the phone with Mike Stausburg for a Good 45 minutes to an hour and this is the ONLY thing he could come up with--you ready? wrong tranny fluid. When the tranny was assembled, I know we've always used F-Type ATF. This time, Jeremy doesn't remember exactly what he put in there. So if he used Dextron or an O.T.C. Synthetic, then it didn't allow the clutches and steels to grab, rather they kept slipping which caused the .800 to 1.2 delay in the 1st shift, then for 2 - 3, it shifted when I lifted.

It's the most bizarre gremlin and nobody completely understands that we've consulted with. Mike even said that he's heard of this happening, but that it's so rare for it to happen.

Well, we all know my luck. If it can go wrong, especially if it's a mil to 1 chance, it'll be me that it happens to.

:roll: :roll:
Nancy Matter

Bob Kraemer

Postby Bob Kraemer » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:33 pm

Sorry for the trouble Nancy. It sounds like you have a great group working on the car.

I am not in the league of those guys, but if you have checked the mechanicals of the trans and it is fine, here is what the dumb Iowa guy would look for. :roll:

I am assuming an air shifter. Find some way to check the pressure the regulater is putting out,,,not what it says it is supposed to, what does it actually put out?

Then I would look at all the air lines for a kink or blockage. Maybe check your line pressure right at the trans to verify.

Check your air tank pressure,,,dumb I know, but make sure you get a full and complete discharge from the bottle without any interuption.

Maybe the shifter block on the column has developed a crack and isn't putting a full charge to the trans.

Just some things that came to mind right off the bat to check. I am sure you guys have already check all this, but a delay sure sounds like a low pressure problem to me.

Good Luck,

Rapid
No use in posting the suggestions I was going to, you beat me to it. :roll:
Bob Kraemer

Certifiable Insanity

"Friends are quiet angels that lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.''

Bob Kraemer

Postby Bob Kraemer » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:37 pm

Sorry to hear you didn't qualify Nancy :( but congrats to you & the team for awesome work trying to solve those pesky gremlins. 8)
Bob Kraemer

Certifiable Insanity

"Friends are quiet angels that lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.''

F/C Girl

Postby F/C Girl » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:35 pm

thanks Bob, just to let you guys know, the first pass, we had a 2.56 330 and a 2.570 330 on the 2nd pass.

Clint, (who also runs the fontana) compared our numbers to his, they were both 5.60 passes. So close!! HOWEVER, now that we have the fuel system switched around, I can hardly wait to get back out next weekend and then we'll see what happens.

I was talking to Randy Anderson and Louie Gasparrelli, they told me that on both of Friday's passes, they were extremely impressed how the car shot out hard and kept on trucking and how I'm handling the car with all the adversity going on in and out of the seat.

AND........We're invited to go to Sweden to Race. When Leif Andreasson and crew get home, we're going to work out all the details, it should work out as no cost to us AND a salary to boot. So maybe that was why we were supposed to be there this weekend is for the long term success rather than in the moment. :roll: :roll:

Thank you so much for all your suggestions, if anyone thinks of anything else that could be a culprit, we're open to ideas :-)
Nancy Matter

Return to “Super Crew Team Reports”