The Solid Rock Mustang

Here's where our individual members can fill us in on their racing, car building, or other exploits.
Solid Rock
The Solid Rock Mustang

Postby Solid Rock » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:25 pm

My St. Louis Adventure

After thrashing for the last few weeks, we finally got the Solid Rock Mustang funny car up and running late Friday night, May 30, 2008. The last order of business was applying the custom, one of a kind HOBO primer paint job.
After arriving in the St. Louis area at 1:45 AM, and crashing at the motel, we made it to the track early Saturday morning.
We had some last minute things to tend to like packing the chute, installing the seat belts, and putting on the wheelie bars. Tracy Klingermann and Pat Sheer helped us out by installing the engine diaper.

We were supposed to get a bye run as there were 9 cars and this was my first pass in the car in quite some time, and the first with the Mustang body.
One of the cars had some problems so we were then slated to run against the Hustler from Minnesota driven by Keith Samuelson. I talked to Keith before hand and told him my game plan was to make a good burnout , then a dry hop, and leave easy, after he left.
The burnout was cut a bit short cause it started getting sideways. I did the dry hop and it felt like the whole car leapt off the ground. I staged and waited till Keith left and then left very easily, shifted to second and then third gear. At about half track I stuck my foot all the way down and the front end came up so I backpedaled and tried it again. It lifted once more so I just back pedaled and finished the run.
It was an 8.57 at 160mph.
All in all we were pleased with the results. The rains came a bit later so we called it a day.
Sunday afternoon we were scheduled to run against the Horvath family and their Damn Yankee Vega.
We went up and made our burnouts and Mark's car died on the burnout. I backed up, shut off and waited for him to clear the track.
We restarted, I staged, and, instead of leaving softly as I had intended, when the tree flashed on, I slammed the pedal down and the car was instantly on the bars really hard and I lifted, it hit down and I hit it again with the same result. After a third attempt, I just drove it off the track.
It was quite a thrash to get everything together and running
and I owe a big thank you to a lot of people who helped me.
Thank you, Tom Motry, Larry Kargol, Merle Mangles, Tom McKeon, Scott Ehrlich, Bear, and my crewchief, Terry Stapleton and his son Brian.
I also want to thank Denny Salzwimmer for doing a terrific job in organizing the Great Lakes Nostalgia Funny Car Circuit.
This group is one great bunch of racers and I look forward to running with them in the future.

It sure feels good to be back at it!!

jim sanders

Postby jim sanders » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:32 pm

Cool report Rock :D
GOOD TO GO !!
Uncle Curt Wasson album
[url=http://www.glowfoto.com/users2/gatorgumbo][img]http://www.glowfoto.com/siteimages/linktogallery.gif[/img][/url]

Solid Rock

Postby Solid Rock » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:40 pm

Thanks, Jim

Billy Mac

Postby Billy Mac » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:46 pm

Way to go, Rock!!...Lookin forward to MANY more race reports!! 8) 8)
Long Live Draglist!
Thank You Vets
In God we Trust...(all others pay cash)
Billy Mac Signs-West/Pegasus Race Cars

draglist
Site Admin

Postby draglist » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:56 pm

Congrats on getting out there, Rocky. Check out dragblog.com. bp
Bill Pratt
Draglist.com - Crowdsourced drag racing history.
Headlines and Results: http://www.draglist.com/
Drag Lists: http://www.draglist.com/draglist/draglist.php

pro70z28

Postby pro70z28 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:21 pm

Congrats Rocky. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
LQQKs good in gray.
15th Annual DRAGLIST Nationals Sometime in 2020. Somewhere in the USA.

Solid Rock

Postby Solid Rock » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:24 am

Thanks everyone.
Thanks also BP, for putting it on the blog.
Pro, It does look a lot better with the HOBO primer than it did Friday afternoon. LOL
Of course, It looks a lot better in the pics than in person.
We'll be doing some testing as soon as RT 66 has another test and tune date.
We'll also be working on the body during that time.

greenracing

Postby greenracing » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:24 am

Cool Rock - looks like you need one of them long wheelie bars like I finally put on mine :lol:

Solid Rock

Postby Solid Rock » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:31 am

I may have to switch to one of them but I have a few things to try first.
How long is your wheelie bar?

greenracing

Postby greenracing » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:11 pm

Mine's around 50". It's one of the single wheel deals. After I put it on I thougth I was driving another car - it calmed everything down on the line big time. I've got it set so that I can roll my toes under it in staging with driving shoes on - very accurate height :wink:

Return to “Super Crew Team Reports”