DragList III Report part 1

Here's where our individual members can fill us in on their racing, car building, or other exploits.
pro70z28
DragList III Report part 1

Postby pro70z28 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:52 pm

We got home awhile ago. Tomorrow I have to hit the ground runnin’, so I thought I’d do some of my report now.
There is too much to type and there will no doubt be several reports and perspectives on this weekends festivities. so here is my take. There will be additions to the report but this covers some of the weekend.

DragList Nationals III, July 18-19 @ Eddyville Raceway Park.

Our weekend started Thursday getting ready for the trip. Spent the day stripping the trailer of all the accessories & racks, etc. so we could haul Jeff’s camaro to DLN’s III. This was Jeff’s second trip to the DragList annual event with his black ‘95 camaro.(more on that later).
http://media.putfile.com/Track-loader-Trailer

Friday morning I had the usual last minute things to do with customers saying “ya’butt can you do this 1 thing before you leave?” We hit the road Friday around 10am and pointed ourselves manually (no GPS) toward Oskaloosa, IA. Once there, we checked in @ the America’s Best Value Inn. It didn’t take long to spot something familiar at the front desk. There in living color was a hotel brochure with a picture of none other than our very own fellow DragLister Mike Casella & his yellow 1960 707” powered BelAir.

How cool is that. The picture was taken from the inaugural DragList Nationals back in 2006. We have another celeb. in our midst. As an added bonus there’s another another Draglister ‘’Lippy’’ behind the caah.
I should also mention the people at Americas Best did a great job making our stay a good one. They let us sit out front under the carport/entrance and bench race in the rain until 3am. They even opened the conference room Saturday night so we could get out of the sticky humid weather & retuning rain. We used the air conditioned room to continue the bench racing, collect the pics. & video from the track & to cap off a great day. We turned in early, around midnight. HEHEHE

I better get back to Saturday morning. We all headed to the track hoping we would find our buddy Doc camped out in the Roadmaster. But, as we found on Sunday Jim had a little excitement in his ‘hood that put the brakes on his plans.

We set up our pit area beside Paintertom right by the staging lanes & the rest of the group. Toms’ pipe rack is very cool & has a sharp paint job. Wonder where he got that done. .......... NICE JOB Tom, You done goota'!

A run through the lanes with Rock doing the tech duties and Jeff was ready for his first pass.

Jeff pulled into the water box & did a nice tire warm up, eased into the beams & set the Line Lock. Last yellow lit and he was off. He hazed the tires just a bit and was off on a very nice pass, but missed 3rd gear and coasted through for a 9.0x. His best time to date is in the neighborhood of 8.80 so missin’ 3rd he was confident the old time could be eclipsed. (He’s still looking to better my 8.48 from panel truck days back in the 70’s).
He pulls around for lap #2. Does the water box routine and is ready for a good run. He leaves on the last yellow again but bogs bad (real bad) off the line and turns in a mid 9’s time.
Not thinking too much of it I decided to give it a try (My payment for hauling his caah to the track). I warm the tires and pull to the beams. The tree comes down and I drop the clutch. The caah falls on it’s face bad again.
A little background here. Jeff is usually the one that comes out too soft. I’m the one that usually goes the opposite direction and over does the RPM launch. To the point that Jeff’s too low launches usually out 60 ft. my tire boiling 60’s.
So, when it bogged off the line I thought WOW, 5 lb. drop in tire pressure is going to take some gettin’ use to. (We dropped the tire pressure from last year because tire spin was a problem).
To make matters worse I forgot to drop the shift gate down we made for the 6 speed last year & when I shifted to 3rd I hit 5th. (Note: shift gate only works when its’ down). I went though the traps at 10.41. DUH.
I went back around for my second lap determined to find the launch sweet spot . I did the burnout, MADE SURE THE SHIFT GATE WAS DOWN...... , & pulled into the beams until the second bulb lit. Locked the front brakes and got on the go pedal to bring the RPM's up. The tree lit up and I stabbed the gas as I released the line lock. The caah died again and it was halfway through low before the engine realized it was supposed to be making power. Shift light finally glowed and I hit second. Just like the last pass once it was in second it pulled like it should. Another shift light and this time it dropped right into 3rd and continued to pull. By that time the run was over. The news at the time shack was only slightly better this time with a 10.21. Not only was the time way off but I had to keep my foot on the pedal to keep it running. I headed down the return lane in low to keep off idle so it would stay running.
Jeff decided (wisely) to call it a night so we loaded the camaro on the trailer. The Good news is it's still in one piece. For the rest of the night we just enjoyed the festivities.

One bright spot I guess. To date I have never had a .0xx anything reaction time. This weekend on my first run I had a .0209 and backed it up on the second lap with a .0156.
I’m sure Jeff will get to the bottom of the power loss thing and we’ll hit a couple T&T’s to see how it does.

More later.........
Last edited by pro70z28 on Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:02 pm, edited 17 times in total.
15th Annual DRAGLIST Nationals Sometime in 2020. Somewhere in the USA.

Pappy1

Postby Pappy1 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:04 pm

Great report Gary, I can't wait for part 2 :D :D

Rapid Randy Baker

Postby Rapid Randy Baker » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:10 pm

Fantastic report and photos. I am also looking forward to hearing what Jeff finds wrong with the hot rod. 8)

What a great time seeing you guys again. :D
NITRO PILOT

[url]http://.www.rapidrandy.net[/url]

draglist
Site Admin

Postby draglist » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:26 pm

Great report. Hope you guys get that gremlin on the Camaro fixed soon. bp
Bill Pratt
Draglist.com - Crowdsourced drag racing history.
Headlines and Results: http://www.draglist.com/
Drag Lists: http://www.draglist.com/draglist/draglist.php

pro70z28

Postby pro70z28 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:36 pm

Thanks Pappy, Wheelz', Rapid, BP. I think I've stretched this weekend out about as far as i can. Time to call it a night.

Mr. Jean

Postby Mr. Jean » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:08 am

Great read. Thanks again. 8)
Jean Muntifering
#7897 Comp.
Old Comp Racer

jim sanders

Postby jim sanders » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:01 pm

8) great report... again i am sorry i missed the deal....
GOOD TO GO !!
Uncle Curt Wasson album
[url=http://www.glowfoto.com/users2/gatorgumbo][img]http://www.glowfoto.com/siteimages/linktogallery.gif[/img][/url]

pro70z28

Postby pro70z28 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:02 pm

Me too Jim. Next year for sure. 8)

This afternoon Jeff & I put the "Geve Trailer" back together. It only took about an hour with 2 of us wrenchin' on it. Once we got the racks installed Jeff went back to work on his caah while I set the attachments back in place.
It wasn't long when Jeff came back up front and said he took the coil off to check it and when he reinstalled it the caah ran fine. So, he cleaned up the connections a bit more & sprayed them with contact cleaner and put it back together. Once I finished the trailer, I said "Let's take it out and see if that did the trick". We went out of town 3/4 of a mile or so turned around the pointed it back at town. I said the only way to know if it's fixed is to do a hole shot. So, Jeff set the line lock & brought the RPM's up. He let 'er go and the tack barely flinched. Granted it's street tires on a slippery street but it was purdy' evident Jeff had found the problem. He was in 3rd before I leaned over and said ahhhhh Jeff ......... shut it down, before you get any closer to town. :oops: :oops:
First he smiled, then he said ''shoot.... if I would have just checked that at the track I could have made another pass or 2". :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

At least he found the problem. :wink:

Billy Mac

Postby Billy Mac » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:26 pm

8) 8) 8) ....Seems like y'all are getting acquainted with that fella "Murphy". :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Glad ya got 'er figgered out!
Long Live Draglist!
Thank You Vets
In God we Trust...(all others pay cash)
Billy Mac Signs-West/Pegasus Race Cars

Return to “Super Crew Team Reports”