Rocky's F/C

Here's where our individual members can fill us in on their racing, car building, or other exploits.
pro70z28
Re: Rocky's F/C

Postby pro70z28 » Sat May 21, 2011 1:01 pm

Have a great weekend eh' Rocky.

You betcha'.
15th Annual DRAGLIST Nationals Sometime in 2020. Somewhere in the USA.

Zappy

Postby Zappy » Sun May 22, 2011 10:56 pm

heck that s a hop ,skip and a jump from your house zap , with all the cross border rules now it makes it hard to do any trips into Canada , too Bad I let my Fast card go as I could have volunteered too .
Yup, I'm so far north I drive south to go to Canada. (true) And I do have a passport. Oh well, the GLNFCC is a super group they will help the Rock.

stimpy

Postby stimpy » Mon May 23, 2011 12:21 pm

heck that s a hop ,skip and a jump from your house zap , with all the cross border rules now it makes it hard to do any trips into Canada , too Bad I let my Fast card go as I could have volunteered too .
Yup, I'm so far north I drive south to go to Canada. (true) And I do have a passport. Oh well, the GLNFCC is a super group they will help the Rock.

Yep I know and your still considered the souther part of the state . remember Durant is where I made my turnaround when I worked for CF , and I lived in Sarnia for several months when I worked for Exxon , and Windsor was a special customer of mine for a year or two .. Mary and I have to get Passports .the Fast ( free and secure travel ) card was when I was doing international tanker work .
the Groom that went Vroom At DLN IV

Solid Rock

Postby Solid Rock » Tue May 24, 2011 11:18 am

Thanks for the kind words everyone!
My first outing of the year was a very fun event, and many thanks go to Denny and Betty Salzwimmer and George Monahan, who were my crew for the weekend, as my regular crew couldn't make it.
I got to the Grand Bend Motorplex on Saturday morning, and met up with the other teams who were already at the track.
After discussing things with my new crew and my first round opponent, we decided to try something different and do a dry leave in addition to the burnout and dry hops.
I made the usual burnout and backed up, then pulled up to the line and did a short blast with the front wheels up about a foot. I backed up and did some dryhops along with Jerry Streb then we staged.
The light flashed and I hit the loud pedal, shifted into second and then third. It was on a nice straight run and stopped the clocks at a 7.69 at 171. Of course, Jerry was waaay out in front of me!!
We went up for the second round against Scott Hohensee in the Visionary Cuda. We got pulled to the line right behind the last pair of promods and one of them went into the sand so we had to sit there for quite a while. Luckily the driver was OK.
We finally got the ok and we started and I went through the same routine but did one too many dryhops and got too close to the line, resulting in me not being staged completely straight. The car went to the right and got right up next to the wall, I fought it for a bit trying to get it back in the groove but finally lifted and brought it back over. I tried 3 times to get back in the throttle and each time it started fishtailing so I finally aborted the run. It was an 8.30

I got to the track Sunday morning and when we did the warmup, the trans brake was acting up so I was trying to get it working when George Monahan excitedly gave me the signal to shut off. The fitting on the line to the trans cooler came apart and put 4 quarts of fluid on the ground. before I knew it, Mike Klontz, Jerry Streb and Scott Hohensee were right there with help and spare fittings.

My third run was with Mike Klontz and the Snakebite Mustang. I didn't do the dry leave this time as there was more heat in the motor than usual. We did our burnouts and some dryhops and then staged. We left almost together but that red car was hauling! In the mean time, I had some brain fade and pulled the car into high gear right off the starting line. Mike had some problems at about 3/4 track and slowed enough for me to get by him and run a 7.64 at 175.

All in all it was a fun weekend thanks to Denny, Betty, George, Jerry, Scott and Mike.

It was worth making the long tow there and back by myself!!!!

pro70z28

Postby pro70z28 » Tue May 24, 2011 6:50 pm

Was it as tough getting across the boarder as they say it is. Haven't been to Canada in probably 15 years or so.
15th Annual DRAGLIST Nationals Sometime in 2020. Somewhere in the USA.

stimpy

Postby stimpy » Tue May 24, 2011 9:54 pm

I never had problems after 9/11 ( except when I didn't have my birthcertificate before I got my card ) the key is to take your glasses off before you get to the booth and have your documents ready . then they are pretty cool . leave your glasses on and they can be pains.. and going into Canada is easy its getting out is hard ..

Solid Rock

Postby Solid Rock » Tue May 24, 2011 10:29 pm

I wasn't a problem for me. I had the trailer inventory and my passport at the ready. I also had the license plate number written down for the truck and trailer. That's all they asked for and they asked some questions.
The toll was $13.00 to get into Canada and $9.00 to get out.....why the difference I don't know.

stimpy

Postby stimpy » Wed May 25, 2011 7:04 pm

I wasn't a problem for me. I had the trailer inventory and my passport at the ready. I also had the license plate number written down for the truck and trailer. That's all they asked for and they asked some questions.
The toll was $13.00 to get into Canada and $9.00 to get out.....why the difference I don't know.
If I remember right it has to do with the bridges cost . the feds absorb some of the cost on our side , and Canada makes the users pay for theirs so it isn't passed on to the citizens .and the Canadian side is longer on the big blue .

glad to see you made it home . looked like the weather was going to get bad up that way .

Zappy

Postby Zappy » Thu May 26, 2011 12:13 am

7.64 & 7.69, GREAT Rocky. I love the Idea of "dry leaves". Havn't seen them in years. I bet the crowd loved them. Glad the trip & runs went well.

jim sanders

Postby jim sanders » Thu May 26, 2011 2:21 pm

8) great report Rock
GOOD TO GO !!
Uncle Curt Wasson album
[url=http://www.glowfoto.com/users2/gatorgumbo][img]http://www.glowfoto.com/siteimages/linktogallery.gif[/img][/url]

Return to “Super Crew Team Reports”