DLN's V reports

Here's where our individual members can fill us in on their racing, car building, or other exploits.
pro70z28
DLN's V reports

Postby pro70z28 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:14 pm

I'm too pooped to type, so I'll make this short. Our Daughter Jenni wanted to know how it all went with Jeff & the caah, so I put this clip together and sent it to her this morning from the hotel. The second lap got taped over from the launch on but, not to worry as I recall I did complete the entire 660'.

We decided to make a production of Jeff's first lap, so he had a John Force size "SUPER"crew for lap #1. :D We checked under the hood for.........I don't know.....I guess to make sure there was somehin' under there. Zap let the smoke out of the passenger side door and gave Jeff some much needed fresh air. I think, at least I hope, somebudie' turned on the make believe data logger, checked the height of the non-existent wheelie bars & made sure the chutes were ready to deploy should they be necessary. I brought Jeff to the beams as the tension began to build. Jeff brought the RPM's up, the last yellow flashed, Jeff dumped the clutch and the LT1 put so much torque to the ground that the car literally moved toward the finish line. Jeff tripped the beams a mere 8:85 seconds later. (see clip)

I think Cheryl was havin' too much fun watchin' and forgot to keep the caah in the center of the frame. :mrgreen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7MccYtl008

The second lap I made a pass with a skeleton crew. With the track temp getting up around 145° the crew had to go for water. Car sounds great coming up to the line. Oh wait, that sound is coming from the Blown Vette in the tower lane, :oops: :mrgreen: I lit up the top 2 bulbs, Set the line lock, brought the engine R's up. I too dumped the clutch and before I knew it, time to shift. [last year shifting into second was not necessary]. I did a 2-3 shift and all was going well. Time to shift again but I was close enough to the beams I decided it wasn't worth the lost time to shift to 4. The scoreboard flashed a new best time for the caah @ 8.67. Didn't make the 8.48 again this year, but did get a little closer. There's always next year.

Time for some shut-eye. See ya' later.
Last edited by pro70z28 on Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
15th Annual DRAGLIST Nationals Sometime in 2020. Somewhere in the USA.

Billy Mac

Re: DLN's V reports

Postby Billy Mac » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:04 am

Great report, Gary. I hope to be able to have a similar (if not quicker :wink: ) story to tell next time around :|
Long Live Draglist!
Thank You Vets
In God we Trust...(all others pay cash)
Billy Mac Signs-West/Pegasus Race Cars

Zappy

Postby Zappy » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:39 am

Great thread idea Pro Z. We can all put our reports in one spot. I'm with you on the time for shut-eye. I'll do my report soon, but CONGRATS on the "new best" 8) 8)

draglist
Site Admin

Postby draglist » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:21 am

Another great weekend. We said our goodbyes at around 11:30 this morning and headed out. We are safe and sound at Denise's sister's house in Omaha. Will get set up to download photos and will post them tomorrow or soon thereafter. bp
Bill Pratt
Draglist.com - Crowdsourced drag racing history.
Headlines and Results: http://www.draglist.com/
Drag Lists: http://www.draglist.com/draglist/draglist.php

Mr. Jean

Postby Mr. Jean » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:05 am

Great report Gary. Funny stuff on the line. :mrgreen: Thanks

Someone forgot to be the backup girl. :wink:
Jean Muntifering
#7897 Comp.
Old Comp Racer

Zappy

Postby Zappy » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:33 pm

DLN 5's..,Where to start?? Well it was more than just classic, it was calssical, but more on that later.

First some of us arrive a day early and tour Pella & do lunch, and a concert.
Next the traditional Fri. dinner with the whole gang. Well Mary started things off by presenting BP with a beautiful afghan she hand made in racing black & white.

Next Gary (Pro-Z) gave Vic & Reily a huge poster of the Vega, doin a wheels-up leave. With all the stops of their tour printed on the side, with fire behind. You gotta see them both, the afghan & poster, I'm sure there are pics on here I just havn't found yet.

Now If I can get serious for one second. I just want to thank the DLN 5ers. You may not know, yet but we had 100%involved in the Stimpy idea. I don't mind saying that it put a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye.
Folks I am proud & honored to be able to call you my friends.
Nuff said - serious Zap over.

Now don't think for a second that there were not plenty of laughs. To begin someone got the idea to "SPOOF" the mega teams like Force and Schumacher with all their weather people-traction testers- wind direction, ect. So we got a bunch of us to surround Jeff's Camero. We had tire wipers - door fanners - folks under the hood - wiping tires-turning on computers, it was a blast.

Talkin about laughs...Linda & Paul told a..."short"...story in the hotel break room that folks got a lil chuckel out of.

Now race day was HOT, but Rock had us in a nice shady spot that was GREAT. THANKS ROCK. We want that spot next year too please.

Once again crew chief Riley alloud ME to drive the chase truck. (I must have done ok at Quaker City.) Or maybe they were just THAT desperate, :lol: :lol: . Anyway I went to work gettin a crew together. Now I won't give any numbers (thats for drivers) but I heard that Vic ran a "BEST EVER" 60 ft. Now I'm sure the PB (personal best) is a direct result of the "super crew" I just can't prove it. LOL The super crew was Jeff-IA AL - Stimpy - Gary - and Riley.

The end of the day we had the awards ceremony, well not droppin any names, but, one group won every thing but best hair cut. LOL

Every year we give the DLN banner to someone. Well this year we decided it should go to Vic's Vega. So the whole DLN group signed it. At the awards Bill passed out the trophy's then made the banner presentation to Vic & Riley.

After the awards was over, I was completely shocked when Riley came over and presented the DLN 5 2010 banner to ME + Linda. Once again, a big lump in my throat. (must be somethin in that Iowa air).

Now It's Sun. breakfast at the hotel. More laughs as we all meet and visit and say goodby. Well here comes the "CLASSICAL" part I told ya about in the opening. The lovely Miss. Emily Pratt entertained us all with several of Johann Sebastian Bach's musical delights on her cello(sp)? Hows that for a Comfort Inn???
TAKE THAT HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS - HOW DO YOU LIKE ME NOW???

I know I'm missing lots but as usual I've talked too much already. You just have to be there.
Zap
Last edited by Zappy on Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.

rock

Postby rock » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:54 pm

And now for the weather report from DLN V it was hot :D at about 11:45 AM the track temp was 142 and I am sweating my a$$ off while the drag list people are still at the hotel and staying cool { hanging out by the pool drinking margaritas except rapid he has cake it's my story and i am sticking to it :shock: :lol: } so later on the gang shows up at the track and it is hotter yet how hot you ask it was so hot that Zappy didn't wear his flamed vest now that is hot :roll:

Zappy

Postby Zappy » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:06 pm

Rock, I've never heard of track temps that hi. It's a wonder ANYTHING could get down it. Hats off to your track prep crew and the crew chiefs. What should have been a smoke fest turned out to be great racing.

(ps) Rock I did have a flame shirt & slacks with me....but with the heat....I was afraid that if I put them on........
someone would have really lit me on fire :P :shock:

stimpy

Postby stimpy » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:17 pm

rock, if you can get my shoe scraped off the starting line I would greatly apreciate you sending it back to me ..
the Groom that went Vroom At DLN IV

Return to “Super Crew Team Reports”