Sin City Vette AA/FC

Here's where our individual members can fill us in on their racing, car building, or other exploits.
pro70z28
Re: Sin City Vette AA/FC

Postby pro70z28 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:31 pm

I remember seein' those. :D

Click for cupcakes ~~~~~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7pY6MaYdUw
Last edited by pro70z28 on Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
15th Annual DRAGLIST Nationals Sometime in 2020. Somewhere in the USA.

Novel-T

Postby Novel-T » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:09 pm

Now that is very funny Norm :mrgreen:

WildcatOne

Postby WildcatOne » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:16 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Life Is Good!
http://www.peeweebowenband.com
Support Live Music!

Rapid Randy Baker

Postby Rapid Randy Baker » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:22 pm

2011 WORLD SERIES OF DRAG RACING

Without a doubt, the 58th Annual World Series at Cordova Raceway Park was “THE” race for Funnycars in the Midwest. There were 15-16 cars on the grounds trying for an 8 car field. If you wanted a dose of Nitro delivered by some of the fastest runs ever in the Midwest, this was the place to be.

Thanks to Frank and Debbie Ousley we have a real nice trailer to use from this point forward. We picked it up on Monday, spent some time putting all our stuff into it for the trip over. While I was at Frank's he offered us a chance to run a new blower on the car for the Cordova race. Pretty incredible offer of support from a fellow racer. We really owe him big time for the help.

The plan was to leave around noon on Thursday to be able to get to the track and get parked. Due to a few delays we didn't leave on time. Now this wasn't a big shock as we now have a perfect season of being late to leave for the track. No matter what state of readiness the car was, we left late every time in 2011. This will be cured in 2012 if I have to leave home on Monday for a Friday race!!!

The arrival and pit side stories have been documented on another weekend write up. To say it was EPIC would not even come close.

Friday morning we went to the track to set up the pit spot and get the car ready to run. Mike Cavalieri came over and gave me a hand with a new plug wire by bringing his trick wire pliers, and new wire ends. It was early afternoon before we started the car with the new blower. We got the engine exhaust temps recorded at this time and were very pleased with what we were seeing.

I had serviced and re-faced the clutch. I didn't have the clutch stall set exactly where it needed to be. On the warm up I was unable to hold the rear slicks at a stop with the brake handle pulled as hard as I could. Jerry saw I was having trouble and we skipped the throttle wack to set the clutch for now.

After it cooled off, I reset the stall and we refired the car this time going right from the start bottle to Nitro just like up on the starting line. The stall was now correct and we got in a couple of throttle wacks that seemed to go over pretty well with the fans.

Since it was getting late in the day we decided to forgo a test squirt and wait for the 1st qualifying session Friday night. Talk about a fiberglass forest in the lanes. It was a cool site to see them all waiting for a chance at the track surface. We were the 2nd pair out and were matched up with Anthony Bronge's Punisher Camaro.

I stepped on it after rolling through the water, and backed out of it to keep the rpms in check. No dice, it was higher in rpm due to the new blower making more power. Since the engine has had some time to cool off, I let the burnout go a little longer than necessary so I could build some heat backing up. When I stepped off the throttle the front end went into the dreaded tire wobble. It did this on the last pass at Cedar Falls also. I had done an alignment between races trying to solve it. Instead of getting better as the car slows, it gets worse. The good news is, when the car comes to a complete stop, the shaking stops as well.

I started out backing up a little fast waiting for Anthony to come blasting past me in the other lane. When he didn't appear I slowed down to give him enough time to do his normal burnout. I thought perhaps he needed some extra time for some reason. When I got back behind the line he was already there, so I guess he must of done a shorter burnout and backed up ahead of me. While I was rolling backwards I said to myself. “You do know if this girl starts shaking when you let off at the end of the run you might be in a world of hurt right?” I decided well, if you have to die, might as well die in a Nitro burning Hot Rod.

With that decided it was time to put it in the beams. As the car was rolling forward, I slide down in the seat, cocked my head off to the side. As I am trying to bore a hole in the roof line with my eyeballs, I catch site of the stage bulbs. I put it in prestage right after Anthony, pulled it on the high side and stepped off the clutch. When it lit the stage bulb I sat back up in the car and focused on the last amber. When I saw it flash I stabbed the throttle.

The car left the best it has all year. I wasn't taking any chances and kept my hand on the brake handle until we were past 400-ft. I was ready to pull on the lever if it started spinning the tires, but the track was really tight and nice. Right down the middle of the lane, shift into high. Now it is time for a quick mental review what has happened so far with myself. It felt good leaving, didn't strike the tires, no fuel mist from non- working cylinders out the windows, it should be a good run.

Right about that time I feel that it quit pulling as hard and around 900-1000 feet it is running, but not accelerating hard. It feels like it is going rich in the car and not burning the fuel. I kept my foot in it as I knew this was going to be a tough field to crack.

Across the stripe, chutes out, off the throttle and a touch of brake and the ride is over. I checked the fire windows, no oil or smoke so things seem pretty good at this point.

When I push open the roof hatch if feels like someone turned on an air conditioner. Off with the helmet, gloves, headsock. Unbuckle the R3, and seatbelts while waiting for the guys to get there. I knew it didn't MPH good, but I hoped the early numbers would be better than we had been getting.

We backed it down, rolled up the chutes and towed to the timing slip tower. I have no idea why, but for all the years I have been driving these cars the guys on the tailgate want to chat with you as they tow you back to the pits. Sitting in the car, rocks hitting the tin, things rattling, clutch making noise you have no idea what they are saying. I finally just gave up a long time ago and nod my head every now and then like I can hear them and agree.

When I get to see the time slip it has our best numbers to date. 1.03 60-ft, 2.74 @ 330. It ran a 4.15 at the 660, but the MPH was down. I think it was only 174 mph. By the time it got to the end it had slowed to a 6.55 @ 192 something. It started off as the run we were looking for, but then slowed.

We got it up on the pro-jacks. Did a leak down and found 1—4--6 didn't leak well. The others were fine. We pulled the pan, knocked all 8-out to inspect everything. When the pistons were out it was time to inspect the rear main. This is where it started to go down hill for us. The bearing was blackened and the main cap was gauled. I decided there was no good fix track side and pulled the plug on the weekend of racing.

We all agreed that it has been a very good year. We made all the calls to the lanes, we didn't hurt anything until this point, and had a lot of fun. We learned what areas we need to work on to be a better team next season, and ended up still friends. Life is Good!!

I can't begin to Thank all the ones who deserve it for all the work and help getting our car up and running. Norm, thanks from the bottom of my heart for giving me the chance to build a car the way I wanted it and making it possible to be a part of Iowa's only Nostalgia Funnycar team.

Jerry Newman, Doc Halladay, and Bob Nelson along with the Telstar/Showtime crews, couldn't have done it without your friendship and help along the way.

Mike Cavalieri, a great friend who always who has the parts we need. Advice freely given on the best way to assemble the car anytime day or night.

The Sin City Vette race team members. Kelly Baker, Eric Bru, Greg and Jordan Green, Mark Hutchison, Kenny Bonnell, Chris Secor. We also had a few temporary guys throughout the year. Brook from MN {White Trash NFC driver} being the most used fill in guy. Thank all of you for the hard work.

John Hale, my friend who called me every couple of days to offer help, parts, encouragement. Whatever it took to keep the project going forward.

There are a ton of others who deserve to be mentioned, but I don't want to leave anyone off the list. So a blanket Thank You to everyone and all the other race teams.

A special mention for my wife Laura. She picked up the slack, and allowed me the time to build this car and make it all happen all year long. No easy feat, and I couldn't have done this without her support.

I hoped you enjoyed my what I did last weekend story,

Rapid
NITRO PILOT

[url]http://.www.rapidrandy.net[/url]

Iowa Al

Postby Iowa Al » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:47 pm

Well told Randy!
We all look forward to
next season.
IA Al

pro70z28

Postby pro70z28 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:52 pm

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) Cool Story 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Pretty good first year considering you were still putting the caah together for the first few times out.

LQQKin' forward to next year. Hard to believe the 2011 season is almost over.

Rapid Randy Baker

Postby Rapid Randy Baker » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:06 pm

Thanks everyone. It was a good year. We have some things to work on for sure. Showing up on time is job #1. We need some more organization in the pits. A little more of this is your job, lets get it done. This is the next job, now lets get that done. :wink:

But, all in all I was very pleased with the car and the boys on the team.

Rapid
NITRO PILOT

Rapid Randy Baker

Postby Rapid Randy Baker » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:21 pm

A few photos for your enjoyment.

Rapid

New front decals from my Landlord.

Driving down the road looking at stuff like this:

The next thing you know we look like this:

On the way to drop the car off at Norm's, the rear lug studs broke. Lucky we were pulling a trailer full of tools. Norm and Kelly went into town and located the parts. We put it back together and were on the road a few hours later. We left Cordova at 10AM and rolled into Waukee at 8:30PM. Long drive. :shock:

Left my baby at it's real parents house. This is Norm's shop built especially for her.

Still hurt like hell to leave her up there. We have been attached at the hip since early spring. Don't ever kid yourself. To have one of these things in the garage, and keep it ready to race is an every night in the shop deal. When I was building the car and trying to race it at the same time, I was in the shop every night until 1-2AM. No, I would not trade any second of it for anything else in the world. 8)

Rapid
NITRO PILOT

pro70z28

Postby pro70z28 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:34 pm

Yep, the Vette emblem fills in that spot just right.
Thanks for the picks Rapid. Jeff didn't get any at the track, it was a little dark. I think he forgot the camera has flash. :mrgreen:
What did Norm think of the additions?

Rapid Randy Baker

Postby Rapid Randy Baker » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:16 pm

I really like how that finished off the front end. Norm should see this and pop in with a comment. I am still mad at him for not living down the street from me!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rapid
Last edited by Rapid Randy Baker on Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NITRO PILOT

Return to “Super Crew Team Reports”