"Z" progress.

Here's where our individual members can fill us in on their racing, car building, or other exploits.
Zappy
Re: "Z" progress.

Postby Zappy » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:33 pm

Grins R Goota !!! :wink: :wink:

draglist
Site Admin

Postby draglist » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:14 pm

Yes... finally getting MOBILE! bp
Bill Pratt
Draglist.com - Crowdsourced drag racing history.
Headlines and Results: http://www.draglist.com/
Drag Lists: http://www.draglist.com/draglist/draglist.php

pro70z28

Postby pro70z28 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:34 pm

So much stuff happened this weekend @ the Seventh Annual DragList Nats./59th Annual World Series of Drag Racing, that it's hard to know where to start. It was about 11am Thursday before we had all the loose ends tied up. There's 30 messages on the machine now, so there's probably a few fires to put out tomorrow when work resumes.
Thursday morning we stripped the trailer & set it up to be a caaah hauler again. Did a quick pack up & surprisingly forgot only the battery charger for the camera. Since the second NO2 bottle arrived Wednesday we decided to just fill them both at the Hot Rod Barn on the way. Turns out they had a run on Nitrous & were out, but the salesman made some calls & found Winner's Circle in E. Moline had a good supply, just a few minutes out of our way.
(Little side note, the salesman, sorry didn't get his name, was one of the crew on the HyYield TF that Won the World Series/driver Tommy Johnson).
We headed to the track & got our pit spot. Since Cheryl would have to cut her weekend short to head back home Saturday afternoon for work, we brought the caah too. That turned out to be very handy, we could just leave the truck & caah at the track. Thursday night out with the gang @ Sneaky Pete's was fun & a good way to kick off the weekend.
Thursday morning we headed back to Winner's Circle to get an SFI jacket for Jeff. As it turned out we could have gotten by without it, but I'm still glad we got it. Picked up a pair of SFI pants too (they were long ones, not SFI shorts like Rapid likes to wear :lol:.
We headed back to the track, ran through tech & got the cahh ready. There were 2 time runs scheduled for Friday, but they conflicted with our lunch cruise plans so we opted to run Saturday. On the cruise we ran into John Hale & crew and had an opportunity to talk with them some.
We headed back to the track for an afternoon of World Series spectating. BP was nice enough to introduce Jeff & I to Ron Colson & Bret Kepner. We got Danny Miller's banner set up for racers & fans to sign. Later we were near the Crop Duster FC pits when Danny Miller rolled up with his Wife & Daughter. We had a chance to shake his hand & we then went down to the banner & got some pictures. (I think they are floating around on Face Book somewhere, but I'm not a face book user so I dunno). Later that night after the show shut down, BP, Bret Jeff & I went to a restaurant in Bettendorf for a late night dinner/breakfast. We got back to the hotel around 3am, sat around for another 1/2 hour talking & then turned in.
Saturday, we headed for the track to take advantage of the single time run.
Before we left we pretty much just finished the car, drove it to the corner & back to make sure everything worked, re-checked trans fluid level & loaded it on the trailer. We had to figure out a routine on the fly at the track & that didn't work out well. We got to the track a little late so that added rushing to the mix. Didn't have time to get the bottle up to temp. & just about missed our class completely. Jeff rolled through the water box & lit up the tires. The air shifter shifted the trans to second, may have sifted to third too. We had the Go Pro aimed at the shifter, but haven't had time to play it back yet. Jeff thought he had it back in low when he pulled into the beams but it was in 2nd, so the trans brake didn't hold & he rolled through the second beams before the timer started & his run was over. Jeff ran it down the track & even though there wasn't a time slip the good news, mechanically everything worked just like it was supposed to. The glitches we encountered can all be corrected, Jeff just needs some seat time to get used to the new configuration. With adrenaline pumping, I can imagine how difficult it must be to turn off everything he remembers about clutch & shifter & re-learn trans brake automatic, in the same car no less.
We spent the rest of the day spectating. The 59th annual event did NOT disappoint. There was some great racing & exhibition runs. At the end of the night they parked a bunch of the race caahs on the track for a meet & greet so the fans could see the caahs & talk with the driver's & crew. The DragLister's took the opportunity to get some group pics in front of the tower, I'm sure they'll get posted. I'm lookin' forward to Ohio Dave's pics. when he gets them posted. After that a few of us went to Stake N' Shake for a late night dinner & got to bed around 2am or so.
Sunday (this morning) we got up around 7:30 to head back for one more attempt at a time run around 8am. Cheryl had gone home by that time, so ZAP was kind enough to run us back to the track. That chance started to slip away as in started to sprinkle on the way there. By the time we made it to our pit area (thanks ZAP for getting us a ride right to the pits) we decided it was not to be & started to load up for home. We were about 1/2 loaded when they announced over the P.A. that time trials were cancelled.
The weekend didn't turn out like we had hoped but Jeff can say he's been down the track at the World Series, & we'll no doubt be back next year to give it another shot.
There's a ton of stuff I didn't mention, I could go on until my fingers give out.
Did some lettering at the track on Rapid's FC.
Watched Elaine Larsen cackle a TF. I might have some video of that deal.
Met a LOT of people, some I've known only through the internet, some I've only read about until this weekend.
Even though I took a snooze when we got home, this is about all the typing I'm up for, for today.
IT WAS A FUN WEEKEND. Nighty night. :D :arrow:
15th Annual DRAGLIST Nationals Sometime in 2020. Somewhere in the USA.

draglist
Site Admin

Postby draglist » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:57 pm

GREAT update, Gary! Thanks so much for all you do for us. Your banners and the t-shirt design were VERY well received. We got tons of signatures on Danny's banner and he and his wife and daughter were so touched by it. He proudly put on his draglist t-shirt on the spot and rolled around the pits checking out all the funny car activity. bp
Bill Pratt

pro70z28

Postby pro70z28 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:43 pm

I have a meeting tonight so I don't have time to look too close at this but,
I downloaded the video of Jeff's NO TIME SLIP run & was surprised to see it was bouncing off the rev limiter at the top end in 3rd gear, well before the traps. Jeff said he even backed off a little to keep it off the rev. limiter. Jeff forgot to turn the nitrous on off the line but flipped it on just before the shift from 2 to 3 & there was a noticeable instant difference in engine RPM even though he hadn't purged at the line & it wasn't getting liquid NO2 on the run. Jeff said there was still air in the lines back at the pits. Not sure how to account for him making it to 6 grand, starting in second gear? :?: :?:

More later? :?: :?: :?: :?:

draglist
Site Admin

Postby draglist » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:48 pm

Time to get the brain trust on it... bp
Bill Pratt

pro70z28

Postby pro70z28 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:09 pm

The Go Pro is mounted on top of the gas tank so the fuel pump is a little annoying. :P

http://youtu.be/XhIRyTL8Ruo

Your welcome BP

pro70z28

Postby pro70z28 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:00 pm

Going through tech

Our pit

pro70z28

Postby pro70z28 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:09 pm

................Ethan, crew chief

Return to “Super Crew Team Reports”