South Glens Falls Dragway

Post descriptions or photos of old cars, friends, or family members you are trying to locate.
dragking
South Glens Falls Dragway

Postby dragking » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:45 pm

I am trying to locate any information on the now defunt South Glens Falls Dragway located in Upstate New York.
I have found very little information about this strip either online or anywhere else for that matter. This drag strip was a very popular place in the 50's through the late 70's and even into the early 80's before the local government shut it down for alleged PCB contamination from oils used on the track and the run back road.
Names such as Sox & Martin, Muldowney, Garlits, Proffitt, Nicholson, Jungle Jim, Prudhomme and many others from the golden era of drag racing raced there on more than one occasion.
I am trying to assemble a collection of history and memerobilia from this track in the hopes of preserving some drag racing history and heritage. If anyone has any information whatsoever about this strip, please let me know!

Thanks!!!
Later,

Bri

"Take life a 1/4 mile at a time!"

Gator

Postby Gator » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:35 pm

Bri,
I raced there.
( not very helpful, i know)

It was a great place..
The last time we ventured up there was 1965..NASCAR ultra stock race.

A worthy project you've taken on. 8)
www.wallybell.com

dragking

Postby dragking » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:01 pm

Would you happen to have anything from the time you were there Gator? I'm quickly finding out that finding items and memerobilia from this strip is next to impossible, let alone many racers who are still around who raced there.
Later,

Bri

Gator

Postby Gator » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:53 pm

One of Shirley Muldowney's "home strips"....(Fonda,Lebonan valley, too)
Ken Sheets..Schenectady area may be able to help you too. ?
I'll rack my brain......

It was a pretty fair track.
Is it still there?
www.wallybell.com

dragking

Postby dragking » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:56 pm

The track is gone gator. it was torn up in the mid to late 90's because of supposed PCB contamination from the oil used to wet down the runoff road and so forth. Personally I think it's a bunch of b.s. because a mobile home park wanted to expand and they have built right up to the guidewire fence. Stands to rwason if there was all that contamination then the zoning board wouldn't let them put housing on contaminated land. Just politics if you ask me.
Anyways, here are a few images of what it looks like now...

I did bring home a piece of blacktop from the track and will always keep it as a momento of racing history that is forever gone from this area.
It just kills me to see this dragway destroyed all for the sake of politics and ulterior motives.
Later,

Bri

jvore

So. Glens Falls!

Postby jvore » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:32 am

Hey dragking, appreciate what you are trying to do, not much out there on the internet, I know I researched it! There was an old Glens Falls Speedway site, now defunk, I believe hosted by a John Hall Jr. I even asked Dino at his great Dover drag strip site to expand to include other strips in the area. They have had reunions in the past, have read about them. and the Saratoga Auto Museum will host a session on old area drag strip action to include SGF and Fonda, on Nov. 29. They will show pics and memorabilia from the late fifties and sixties of racing action of that period. Good luck and thaks for the posted pics of the old strip, Jim.javascript:emoticon(':D')
Very Happy
"A DROP OUT FROM OLE SKOOL"

draglist
Site Admin

Postby draglist » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:55 pm

Thanks for the pics and info, guys. bp
Bill Pratt
Draglist.com - Crowdsourced drag racing history.
Headlines and Results: http://www.draglist.com/
Drag Lists: http://www.draglist.com/draglist/draglist.php

jvore

SGF drag-o-way

Postby jvore » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:51 am

Hey Bri, to follow up, I've got ahold of another old SGF racer, and he has lots of pics of SGF racing action. He hopes to set up a booth at the Saratoga Auto Museum's event to exhibit. He has attended SGF reunions in the past, and would like to see a SGF website a reality again! Hope this helps, stay posted, Jim. javascript:emoticon(':D')
"A DROP OUT FROM OLE SKOOL"

Bucksnort

Postby Bucksnort » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:49 pm

Bri,
I raced there.
( not very helpful, i know)

It was a great place..
The last time we ventured up there was 1965..NASCAR ultra stock race.

A worthy project you've taken on. 8)
Gator
I have pictures of that meet.What car were you with.
Ol'Bucksnort

dragking

Postby dragking » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:17 pm

Sorry for not getting back with everyone sooner. My other computer crashed and I lost my links to everything.
Anyone who has any pics, info, stats, etc. that would like to share, please let me know. I missed the November meeting at the Saratoga Auto Museum due to work as well, so I missed the opportunity of a lifetime.
I don't want this project to fade away. Alot of big names raced in South Glens Falls and it's a shame this part of drag racing history is on the verge of being completely forgotten.
My e-mail is: ny2000ramtough@verizon.net
I'm also available on Yahoo Messenger: nyroadrunner73

Thanks!!!!
Later,

Bri

Return to “Desperately Seeking”